Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 28 January 2017, 18:55
Confirmed User

Travel Power Adapters

My family and I will be taking a Caribbean cruise on a Carnival ship in a couple of months. When we went a couple of years ago, they had two outlets in the main cabin. One was for US power and the other for European power. So, I am looking for a travel power adapter. Are they all created equally or are some better than others? I did see one at Best Buy that had a built in USB port. That could be handy. Since many here have likely used all sorts of different power adapters and converters, I look to you to help me select a good one.
Old 28 January 2017, 19:55
Militant Hippy

SK Ross

I've used these the world over.

http://www.skross.com/en/category/31/pro-series-3-pole-earthed.html
Old 29 January 2017, 00:06
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronix View Post
I've used these the world over.
^^ I use something similar, but it might be overkill for a cruise. I travel worldwide for work also and I don't need it probably 9 times out of 10. Unless you just want a universal, you could buy a couple two prong euro adapters for 99 cents at best buy and be good to go. A lot of places have the universal sockets now.
Old 29 January 2017, 13:42
Confirmed User

Travel Power Adapters

Maybe I don't need a travel power adapter after all. I have a PowerAdd USB Adapter Model: AR-2815 that I use here in the United States. On the back of it lists the Input: AC 100-240V 50-60 Hz 1500 mA. So, can I simply disconnect the input cord and use a European 220 volt cord? I have been looking around on-line and I think the cord has an IEC-C7 plug and the adapter has an IEC-C8 port. So, what I think I need is a cord that has a IEC-C7 plug on one end and a 220 volt plug on the other end. Does anybody happen to know where are some of the better places in the US to get those cords or should I just plan on buying on-line somewhere?
Old 29 January 2017, 14:42
The Sagacious One

I would just get a splitter that gives you three outlets for one wall plug. I carry one in my carry on bag. Available at any hardware store.
Old 29 January 2017, 14:43
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Maybe I don't need a travel power adapter after all. I have a PowerAdd USB Adapter Model: AR-2815 that I use here in the United States. On the back of it lists the Input: AC 100-240V 50-60 Hz 1500 mA. So, can I simply disconnect the input cord and use a European 220 volt cord? I have been looking around on-line and I think the cord has an IEC-C7 plug and the adapter has an IEC-C8 port. So, what I think I need is a cord that has a IEC-C7 plug on one end and a 220 volt plug on the other end. Does anybody happen to know where are some of the better places in the US to get those cords or should I just plan on buying on-line somewhere?
I can't think of anything electrical that you'd take on a trip that was made in the last 15 years or so that isn't compatible with both 110 and 220, like you said yours is. So your problem isn't finding a cord that will handle 220, your cord is already rated for that. These days the only thing you generally need to worry about is making the plug fit into whatever kind of wall socket there is. So unless I'm missing something, you can just get one of these,

plug what you have into the back of it, and plug it straight into the wall.

Any best buy or wal mart should have these. If all else fails, any store that sells earphones at the airport should have them too. Hell the cruise ship probably has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I would just get a splitter that gives you three outlets for one wall plug. I carry one in my carry on bag. Available at any hardware store.
Also a great idea as long as you're sure there's at least one US outlet somewhere.
Old 29 January 2017, 18:01
Confirmed User

Travel Power Adapters

Thank you very much for the replies everybody. I did find one of those at Best Buy and I will probably order one of those AND get a splitter or a power strip for the US outlet. Even though I was never in the military, I think that there IS wisdom to the old adage, "Two is one and one is none." Thus, having a couple of options is a good thing in my mind.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-nongrounded-power-adapter/5014118.p?id=1219219751722&skuId=5014118#tab=buyin gOptions?bof=openbox

Our new posting rules