Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 26 October 2015, 11:20

Tiger Woods

I am a writer for ESPN The Magazine, working on a story about Tiger Woods turning 40. He has always been a supporter of the SEAL community and I know he's taken several tours of BUD/S. If anyone here has met with him, or seen him around, I'd appreciate an email: wrightespn@gmail.com.
Old 26 October 2015, 11:26
Administrator

Well that's........different.....LOL
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 26 October 2015, 11:40
#AllLionsMatter

I'm pretty sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Well that's........different.....LOL
Tiger Woods has been a supporter of "all" those that, have served or still do in Special Operations Forces (SOF).

Link to SOWF...Earl Woods was one of us. RIP!

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 1 November 2015, 10:18
Administrator

ESPN -post an intro like everyone else.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:47

I did :)

I would Edit this post out, but numbnuts stabs his ownself.

Last edited by Cass; 10 November 2015 at 14:26.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by espnthemagazine View Post
I did :)
A writer that can't read. Nice.
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 10 November 2015, 14:12
Been There Done That

gmail email? Oh, I see, there's ESPN in the gmail addy....must be authentic.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 10 November 2015, 15:01
Creepy ass cracka

I hung out with Tiger, that mutherfucker snorted up a footie while getting blown by two hookers, one of them was a tranny but he was so fucking high I didn't want to harsh his buzz. The next day I woke up and that fucker emptied my wallet then went on to win some golf torney, did the ol' secret wink and nod that we do but I'm still pissed about the fucking top deck he left in my toilet, good lord that was a friggen battleship steamer, he even put a little toothpick American flag in it.

He's kind of a dick if you ask me, but I'd still party with him again.
Old 10 November 2015, 15:58
Been There Done That

Match - you party with all the dudes with huge bowel movements!

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 10 November 2015, 16:00
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Match - you party with all the dudes with huge bowel movements!
Diet, exercise and lots of ass pounding I guess.
Old 8 May 2016, 16:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

So I read the ESPN article on Tiger Woods that just came out and here's what I've learned:

1. He's made a few bucks playing golf, had a complicated relationship with his father and liked meeting up with hookers, among other things.

2. After the passing of his father he became obsessed with becoming a SEAL, and because of his high profile was able to engage in many activities with current and former SEALs, mostly what might be considered the "hollywood" type of stuff that included jumping out of aircraft and shooting weapons.

Apparently, some SEALs enjoyed hanging out with him and some didn't. No surprise there, that's life. What I found interesting was one SEAL's observation that for all the time Tiger spent doing SEAL type stuff, he never was put through (nor did he request to be subjected to it) some of the more rigorous and not so hollywood kind of activities, in particular the kind of surf drills that every SEAL has to endure in order to pass through training.

A mildly interesting article, but no surprises, especially that Tiger didn't subject himself to the type of nitty gritty scut work type of things that are the bread and butter of SEAL training. I have a feeling that Tiger probably felt, even with all of his success, that his accomplishments were a pale imitation of the type of things his father accomplished as a military man. He wouldn't be the first son to feel that way, won't be the last.
Old 13 May 2016, 03:25

The story in the article about the dinner he went to with some of the SEALs he was training with, and didn't pay for the small group, made my jaw hit the floor. Unreal.
Old 13 May 2016, 13:51
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
and didn't pay for the small group,

c'mon now, he needed to save his money for cheese and hookers :)
Old 13 February 2017, 08:19
Confirmed User

I just finished reading “The Big Miss” by Hank Haney and in the second half of the book Hank writes a lot about TW and his SEAL training. He stated that TW would go and Jump, Shoot, Hand to Hand and other secret training missions with the SEAL’s. Rumor was TW was going to give up golf and go into the Navy with at SEAL contract with an age waver. All the training he was doing was a pre-selection program that Navy was doing for him. In the book he also said that his knee issues really went back to training with the SEAL’s and getting kicked in the leg or shot with a rubber bullet while doing close quarters training.

I know there are athletes that go and train with the SEAL’s, Rangers, SF and other units in the off season for mental preparedness and find out who you really are training, but would they really let TW Jump, Shoot and Train on a regular basis over a long period?
Old 13 February 2017, 14:50
Authorized Personnel

Pardon me if I am out of my lane - but why would they let anyone "train" with active duty guys, regardless of how famous he is, unless it was in the context of the celebrity writing a very big check to a SEAL related charity?

Back in the olden days, my Marine battalion spent 2 weeks at Coronado thoroughly enjoying "adventure training" conducted by Team members and took away some great lessons to pass along to other Marines. If there's extra seats for strap hangers, there are plenty of 03s who would happily spend leave days to take a ride-along. This seems a bit wasteful unless there's some benefit to someone other than the celebrity involved.

Again, not trying to overstep as an intrusion here, but trying to understand how this comes about.
Old 13 February 2017, 18:14
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F/COLT View Post
I just finished reading ďThe Big MissĒ by Hank Haney and in the second half of the book Hank writes a lot about TW and his SEAL training. He stated that TW would go and Jump, Shoot, Hand to Hand and other secret training missions with the SEALís. Rumor was TW was going to give up golf and go into the Navy with at SEAL contract with an age waver. All the training he was doing was a pre-selection program that Navy was doing for him. In the book he also said that his knee issues really went back to training with the SEALís and getting kicked in the leg or shot with a rubber bullet while doing close quarters training.

I know there are athletes that go and train with the SEALís, Rangers, SF and other units in the off season for mental preparedness and find out who you really are training, but would they really let TW Jump, Shoot and Train on a regular basis over a long period?
One thing never mentioned, and I pointed it out in my earlier post, is how Tiger was never put through some of the less glamorous facets of training, such as those involving logs and those inflatable boats they have to carry everywhere.

Who knows, perhaps Tiger was really put through the ringer during his sessions with the SEALs, but for some reason I doubt he ever wound up doing stuff like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Old 13 February 2017, 18:30
Authorized Personnel

Let him volunteer for the next season of The Selection. Let's see how he fares against some of those people in the open and not behind the scenes.
Old 13 February 2017, 21:18
Confirmed User

I have been told that several foreign groups train at the West Coast facility, from time to time.
They were reported to make a loud thud when falling from the OC facilities.

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 18 February 2017, 18:48
The Copenhagen Kid

Tiger was nothing more than a straphanger riding on the coat tails of REAL Frogmen. He wants all the accolades without having to put his money where his mouth is. Plain & Simple.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.

Our new posting rules