Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 February 2017, 16:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
But I'm looking for one un-restored.
I'm the opposite with dirt bikes - I'm at the point where I only want restored or original ones that I can ride.

I did pick up another scooter to kinda of restore this winter: 1969 Lambretta DL - only sold in Europe and made less than 10,000 of them over the three year run (1969 to 1971). Designed by Nuccio Bertone (who designed for Alfa Romeo, Fiat, and Lamborghini) - the black ink spot on the front legshield is a reproduction of an ink spot on the design blueprints when he got mad at Ferdinando Innocenti over the design and threw down his pen. Only the DL/GP models sport that ink spot.

This one was brought into Canada at some point when a friend bought it and put it together. He rode it for awhile the sold it to another friend who sat on it for years. It had mice in it, the gas tank leaked and covered the motor in gas/2-stroke premix and the gas evaporated leaving a sticky oil covering everything. I'm slowly putting it back together and replacing small things here and there - worn body rubber, old wiring, but the motor is in great shape and everything is original on it.

What it looks like now and what it will look like when complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lambretta.jpg (41.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Lambretta restored.jpg (53.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 5 February 2017, 17:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I'm the opposite with dirt bikes - I'm at the point where I only want restored or original ones that I can ride.

I did pick up another scooter to kinda of restore this winter: 1969 Lambretta DL - only sold in Europe and made less than 10,000 of them over the three year run (1969 to 1971). Designed by Nuccio Bertone (who designed for Alfa Romeo, Fiat, and Lamborghini) - the black ink spot on the front legshield is a reproduction of an ink spot on the design blueprints when he got mad at Ferdinando Innocenti over the design and threw down his pen. Only the DL/GP models sport that ink spot.

This one was brought into Canada at some point when a friend bought it and put it together. He rode it for awhile the sold it to another friend who sat on it for years. It had mice in it, the gas tank leaked and covered the motor in gas/2-stroke premix and the gas evaporated leaving a sticky oil covering everything. I'm slowly putting it back together and replacing small things here and there - worn body rubber, old wiring, but the motor is in great shape and everything is original on it.

What it looks like now and what it will look like when complete.
Nice find man. That thing has a lot of history as well. Good luck on the build.

Yeah, I know the decision between building and buying a bike already done is a personal choice--but I just need to build them, can't help it.

However, the only exception would be if I can get one from here:

http://www.honda.com/collection-hall-gallery

Old 10 February 2017, 11:58
Moving Target

I havent been on a dirt bike in years but I did go to a race back in 07, my cousin was the guying putting on the race. I come from a long line of dirt bike racers going back to 72'. I use to be good friends with David Bailey who was the National and world champ several times. He lived in my area at a track named " Lake Sugar Tree". My family members went to the Gary Bailey Motocross school at the track every year. I got hurt when I was 11 playing football and badly bruised my kidney and after that my over protective mom wouldnt let me race but I kept going to the track with my grand parents and traveled the east coast every year going to district 13 &29 events. I had a uncle that was a district Champ and later was a pro for Team Cagiva from Italy. He was doing very well until Bob Hanna used him for a berm down in Florida and badly broke his wrist, it never healed properly so that ended hi career. The family stayed in the motocross business though with many cousins racing and one became a Pro for Team Suzuki and raced the Super Cross series. His name is Chad Lough. He was on TV and Magazines many times but he also had a career ending injury, He broke his back , legs and collar bone. its a miracle that he can even walk today. He is settled down in a EPA clean up business doing very well. Dirt Bikes are good clean fun and will keep you in very good shape.
Old 10 February 2017, 13:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I had a uncle that was a district Champ and later was a pro for Team Cagiva from Italy. He was doing very well until Bob Hanna used him for a berm down in Florida and badly broke his wrist, it never healed properly so that ended hi career.
Hurricane Hanna was a beast for sure.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
Old 10 February 2017, 19:08
Moving Target

Quote:
Hurricane Hanna was a beast for sure.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
I should also mention that Dirt Bikes are a good way to get seriously injured since everyone I mentioned was injured. The World Champion David Bailey was paralyzed back in the 80's and has been in a wheel chair since then. I remember the day it happened. I was at a track in N.C. and it was announced over the P.A. about the crash that paralyzed him. He is a very good dude and I hated to see it happen to him so with that in mind stay safe and enjoy. always wear your safety gear.
Old 10 February 2017, 20:08
The atomic zit

Please stay safe out there. The wake I attended last night was for man, known him since was boy, who was DOR after riding his 125 back from his parents' place...
Old 10 February 2017, 20:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
The World Champion David Bailey was paralyzed back in the 80's and has been in a wheel chair since then.
The same tenacity that made David a multi-time national and Supercross champion (he was never a world champ) made him one of the best wheelchair triathletes on the planet. He has a bunch of top fives at Ironman, and I think he's done well at either the Boston or NY Marathon also.
Old 10 February 2017, 21:27
Moving Target

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...28motocross%29

David is a Champ on and off the track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocross_des_Nations

Last edited by foxcolt13; 10 February 2017 at 21:47.
Old 12 February 2017, 15:34
Authorized Personnel

Gorgeous 60+ degree day today so I went to my sneaky place and got muddy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Husky 1.jpg (51.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Husky 2.jpg (64.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 12 February 2017, 16:33
Moving Target

Quote:
Gorgeous 60+ degree day today so I went to my sneaky place and got muddy.
nice bike, I always liked a Husky.
Old 19 February 2017, 15:07
Authorized Personnel

It's a sickness. Picked up a 1971 Suzuki TS250 to ride in the vintage-only AHRMA cross country events. Bought it yesterday and doing a "little" maintenance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 ts.jpg (59.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 71 TS 2.jpg (44.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 19 February 2017, 19:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
It's a sickness. Picked up a 1971 Suzuki TS250 to ride in the vintage-only AHRMA cross country events. Bought it yesterday and doing a "little" maintenance
Damn, that thing is in really good shape. How's the motor?
Old 19 February 2017, 19:58
Moving Target

Quote:
That thing looks like a museum piece. Good find.
Old 19 February 2017, 20:08
Authorized Personnel

It's a 5' bike. Needs new chain, fork seals, brakes. Has flat track tires so they need upgraded to MC tires. Forks have slight pitting so removed them to clean them up.

Only thing missing is the original air box. Runs pretty good for a 45 year old 2 Stroke.
Old 19 February 2017, 22:26
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Hey lemme know if you wanna increase its resale value...I can do a pretty good "Roger DeCoster" signature..one on each side of the tank...(kidding)
Old 20 February 2017, 00:25
What could possibly go wrong?

Reading this post while sitting around a campfire with a cold beer in the desert. Been riding last few days down here near China Lake. Weather has been perfect with rain in the desert, no dust, and perfect traction. Doesn't get any better.
Old 20 February 2017, 05:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
Hey lemme know if you wanna increase its resale value...I can do a pretty good "Roger DeCoster" signature..one on each side of the tank...(kidding)
There was a guy on eBay a few years ago who claimed he had one of Roger's old "works" RN370 practice bikes. And because it was so "rare," he was willing to let it go for the bargain price of $300k. Within a day of him posting the listing, he had guys pointing out all of the obviously fake parts - he had shit on this bike that I'm not even sure existed in the motorcycle world in 1973/74, but he swore up and down that it was the real deal. He didn't seem to be trying to scam anyone, he just seemed to be genuinely clueless about dirt bikes. I wish I could find the listing, because it was actually pretty funny how delusional the guy was.
Old 4 May 2017, 23:45
#BlackRiflesMatter

GREAT thread, KidA!

The enduro...

pure dirt...

Last edited by Tycon; 4 May 2017 at 23:53.
Old 4 May 2017, 23:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
GREAT thread, KidA!

The enduro...

pure dirt...

You're a brave man for riding that CR. I've never met anyone who had anything good to say about the 97's handling.

The XL is really cool, though. Those things are about as close to being indestructible as a motorcycle can get.
Old 5 May 2017, 00:14
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
You're a brave man for riding that CR. I've never met anyone who had anything good to say about the 97's handling.
LOL! Hell, I just don't know any better. Twist, and hang on!

I LOVE Canyon Raceway, 20 minutes from home, when I can get out there. Kids these days are sure humbling (link below). Unbelievable good shit now-a-daze. What a great facility too. 3 separate tracks, and desert trails for miles. $25/all day. And right next to the lake and the Cowtown and Ben Avery ranges. Fucking paradise. I gotta get a party boat and more Parrothead music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0K1QzlBd6E

Last edited by Tycon; 5 May 2017 at 00:34.

Our new posting rules