Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 24 January 2017, 07:00
Been There Done That

Thumbs up The Final Day

Third in the series of the book that started it, "One Second After".

About half way through and really good. So far, is better than the second book, "One Year After".

Just started it yesterday, will probably finish it within the next day or two. Another hard book to put down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 24 January 2017, 07:23
Authorized Personnel

I think I'm going to go ahead and get it for my Kindle. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. The second one was fair. I like Forstchen's work, but he's no Mingo Kane.
Old 24 January 2017, 09:39
Been There Done That

Pre-ordered it for the kindle six months ago. Got it on automatically downloaded on the 3rd of Jan, when it was released.

interestingly, Forschen specifically requested that it be released with no DRM on the digital file.

Good book, some unexpected twists, and above all, a (fictional) reaffirmation of a truth that many of us hold to be self-evident.

Two thumbs-up for the whole 3-book series. I've met the author a few times (he lives here in Black Mountain) and he's a very nice guy.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 January 2017, 13:36
Confirmed User

This popped up on my "recommended for you" in the Kindle section of Amazon a while back. I read One Second After and One Year After, so I think I'll give it a shot since it's apparently well received here. OSA was really good, but I felt that OYA fell a bit short.
Old 25 January 2017, 15:24
Been There Done That

Finished. Much to think about, that is for sure, as the other two previous books also made one do.

Not as good as the first of course, but IMHO, better than the second one.

Think there will be a 4th book?

Old 25 January 2017, 16:44
The Sagacious One

I just finished it as well. Definitely a good read. I think the author said this was it for the series.
Old 25 January 2017, 16:54
Authorized Personnel

I got it yesterday for my kindle, but I'm using it for my treadmill book, so unless I want to run 150 miles this week it's going to take me awhile.
Old 25 January 2017, 17:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just finished it as well. Definitely a good read. I think the author said this was it for the series.
Yup. Looks like Black Mountain will fade quietly into the dark for a while

The series was a good read. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Just with that the books were a bit beefier; they went far too quickly.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 25 January 2017, 17:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Yup. Looks like Black Mountain will fade quietly into the dark for a while

The series was a good read. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Just with that the books were a bit beefier; they went far too quickly.
Probably my only criticism of the last book. Could have been a few more chapters added at the end. Seemed like the book got wrapped up and the end pretty quick.

Old 26 January 2017, 17:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Pre-ordered it for the kindle six months ago. Got it on automatically downloaded on the 3rd of Jan, when it was released.

interestingly, Forschen specifically requested that it be released with no DRM on the digital file.

Good book, some unexpected twists, and above all, a (fictional) reaffirmation of a truth that many of us hold to be self-evident.

Two thumbs-up for the whole 3-book series. I've met the author a few times (he lives here in Black Mountain) and he's a very nice guy.
Kindle? You live right down the road from the author. You should have all three copies in Hardback, and ask him to autograph them for you.

Old 26 January 2017, 17:31
Authorized Personnel

Mingo Kane would have squared him away if they were neighbors. He sent me a signed copy of his latest work and we have never even met.

I'm enjoying the book so far. Makes my old man treadmill sessions more palatable.
Old 26 January 2017, 17:49
Been There Done That

Yep. +1 on Mingo Kane.

Old 28 January 2017, 16:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Probably my only criticism of the last book. Could have been a few more chapters added at the end. Seemed like the book got wrapped up and the end pretty quick.
This right here. There seemed to be only 10 pages from climax to conclusion. Like it was rushed or something. Overall I enjoyed the book. I still need to build my own bunker/lair too.....
Old 28 January 2017, 17:33
Been There Done That

^Publishers have deadlines given to authors. That or the wife was cooking a good dinner and telling him to wrap it up and get down to eat before dinner got cold.

An interesting side topic would be if China ever tried to do for real what they did in the book.

Liked the response from Texas. Sound like they had their hands full though a the makings of another "Alamo".

Old 28 January 2017, 18:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
An interesting side topic would be if China ever tried to do for real what they did in the book.
It seems like a common theme in many of the books similar to this one.

I can only imagine the absolute logistical nightmare that it would entail, not to mention other factors......but I also cannot see other nations, especially not those as ambitious as China, sitting on their asses without taking massive advantage of that situation.

The sudden and complete loss of the USA on the global scene would usher in an era of unprecedented warfare and power grabbing the likes of which hasn't been seen since the fall of Rome.
Old 8 March 2017, 20:11
Authorized Personnel

Finished it today. Not as good as One Second After, better than One Year After. I thought the end was kind of flat. Still a pretty good read though. Worth the time.

Our new posting rules