Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 8 March 2017, 11:49
Ungood

Internet of Things (IoT)

In light of recent disclosures, I've been getting asked more about IoT devices such as Smart TVs, and others that connect to the internet (Fit-Bit, Xbox, and even light-bulbs).

As everything moves towards being internet-connected, previously mundane items are now connected to the world. These devices have an operating system on them that facilitates either an Ethernet or wireless (WiFi or Bluetooth) connection.

The two major problems with IoT in general is that there's a rush to get it to market before any meaningful testing is done, and they are rarely (if ever) updated after being manufactured.

Keep awareness about anything you connect to WiFi (that includes your phone, when you're trying to save those minutes). You're connecting a device that may have sensitive information to the greater world. Even if you don't have sensitive information, your device can be used to pivot to other resources, or even amplify other activities (look up Mirai botnet via home routers).

Should you freak out? Not necessarily. Just understand the risks, and try to keep your devices updated where possible. Make demands of manufacturers to fix their shit and get it correct before going to market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 March 2017, 12:54
Been There Done That

Some IoT devices have mics and cameras on them. What could go wrong?

In 2015, I almost bricked my own TV trying to get some... umm.. let's just say..."unapproved code" to run on that bastard.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=125175

I was lucky to recover from that experiment but it did give a feel for what can be done. Permanent note to self: buy separate devices to futz around on. Haha.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 8 March 2017, 13:46
Confirmed User

And those operating systems can be exploited just like every other OS. But, but... it's a device. Right.

Totally agree with your statements CV. Pressure needs to be applied to the vendors to implement an SDLC that includes system design, secure defaults, incident handling and patch releases. Hopefully the industry fixes itself before .gov decides to pass yet more legislation on this topic. Schneier and others suggested this a few months back - I think it's a bad idea. We already have enough compliance crap to deal with.

Then there is the Industrial IoT. Which is another problem - but no better. In these scenarios, you have systems with legacy code bases and insecure OS configs that are full of vulns and - by classification - cannot be managed or patched like traditional IT systems. Or PLC/ICS systems that are also easy to exploit once access is attained. As "Industry 4.0" takes shape, and the integration of these environments into enterprise IT occurs - it's gonna be "fun". At least we'll have job security...
Old 8 March 2017, 15:16
Swimming Upstream

I refuse to buy smart devices, Alexa, etc. worse there are Children's toys that are smart and collecting data
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 March 2017, 15:19
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I refuse to buy smart devices, Alexa, etc. worse there are Children's toys that are smart and collecting data
Not a bad policy. It's fairly interesting just how much data those devices can divine about your patterns-of-life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 March 2017, 16:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
At least we'll have job security...
Indeed.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 8 March 2017, 16:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
At least we'll have job security...
As long as we have IT Mexicans writing code for IoT, we'll always have job security.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 13 March 2017, 11:19

Another aspect to consider is the cloud component. If you have devices like baby video monitors that you can view locally and from the cloud, it's best to keep it local and disable internet access for those devices at your router.

We've seen instances where you crack them open, extract the firmware, and discover that the cloud encryption keys are static, and shared across all their devices.

Our new posting rules