Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 13 March 2017, 22:32

Medic / AEMT: Iraq or Afghanistan?

Greetings gentlemen,

I am getting ready to go back to work overseas as a medic. I have offers for Iraq and Afghanistan. Been 10 years since I was in Iraq and never been to the 'ghan. What are the conditions like and which is the better fit long term?

Thanks,
Doc J
Old 14 March 2017, 15:39
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornenurse View Post
long term
Yikes. You'll get a ton of mixed advice if that is your real goal.

That aside, the answer to your question is so heavily dependent upon what the actual job is, who the client is, and where exactly you would be located in-country.

It would be naive of me to provide generic input without knowing the above; although the weather is great in both this time of year, and the social scene is just picking up - especially in northern Iraq and southern Afghanistan
Old 14 March 2017, 18:53

Looking at SOC, TC, AEGIS or Academi. Contracts in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Just trying to narrow down the field. I have heard the things are scaling down in Iraq and up in 'ghan. Not sure if this is true. I am hearing good and bad for both areas, so I am guessing is really doesn't matter much. Horse apiece. I am looking long term.
Old 15 March 2017, 08:33
Confirmed User

IMHO, Kabul is a nasty place. I left that place hoping to never return because the air pollution is extremely bad during the winter. Kabul sits in a valley at approximately 6000ft and the locals burn whatever they can get a hold of to keep warm.

Winston Churchill
Old 15 March 2017, 10:35
NKDA

Guessing you are talking about WPS? No way you've been fully processed by all 4 companies. Are they just offering to run your Bio? Or do you actually have a hard offer from one (class/deployment dates)? Looking at static or mobile slot? Have they told you what embassy/consulate? All of these things matter in order for you to get best advice/input from the members.
Old 15 March 2017, 10:38
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
IMHO, Kabul is a nasty place. I left that place hoping to never return because the air pollution is extremely bad during the winter. Kabul sits in a valley at approximately 6000ft and the locals burn whatever they can get a hold of to keep warm.
Good ole' black buggers all day e'ry day. Hahaha.

Not to mention air fecal count is one of world's highest, if not THE highest (ok, ok, this was pretty much debunked and based on speculation... BUT, air quality is proven one of worst in world).

Last edited by O_Pos; 15 March 2017 at 10:44.

Our new posting rules