Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 February 2017, 00:07
Been There Done That

I get shots in my spine every couple of months. Mine started with lower back pain and then the numbness down the left leg. My calf stays numb most of the time. Freakin pain management doctor make me go a few days, then makes me describe exactly every pain I am having, and then he give me an appointment for the block shot.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 23 February 2017, 07:29
Been There Done That

All pain management clinics in my AO only do injections now. You have to be careful with those as well. I underwent those injections for years. Ended up with an inflammatory condition in the bundle of nerves in my low back called Arachaoiditis. Which was cause by the injections and epidurals.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 February 2017, 07:35
Authorized Personnel

Great. I've been getting those shots for about 5 years now, but only about every 6 months. How often were you getting them?
Old 23 February 2017, 07:43
Been There Done That

I started while on AD in 98/99. So, about 2 years I guess. I suppose it's where you get them. Mine was always L3 and lower.

Old 23 February 2017, 07:46
Authorized Personnel

Same here, all L-3-4 area. So far no issues, but I guess everything has a side effect. Beats the oxy road the VA was trying to put me down. That story ends with me sucking cock at the bus stop for the next one and I really don't want to go there.
Old 23 February 2017, 07:46
Been There Done That

I started at 6 month intervals at first, then as determined by the pain management doc at FT Benning.

Old 16 March 2017, 20:31
Confirmed User

I've monitoring this thread with great interest.

Yesterday morning I had Bi-lateral decompression L4, L5 and S1 procedure that went very well-was discharged from the hospital at around 1100 this am.

Back around Thanksgiving last year I knew had problems that could not be handled by my regular tune ups with my Chiropractor; severe low back pain, numbness and pain in my legs and feet. I went to my Chiro. anyway he could tell by the way I had to walk that I needed an MRI, etc. He refered me Neuro doc. Got an MRI and an EMG. My pain slacked off after a couple of months, but numbness increased. Finally got the surgery scheduled.

In the recovery room, although I felt like had fallen off a roof and landed on my back, I had lost the numbness in my feet and legs. Doc was very pleased, as am I.

If you are having numbness, pain, etc.-please follow the advice of some of the early posters and get an MRI and EMG.

I'm less than 48hrs after surgerey and very confident. I know damn well that I've got long road ahead, but I can see the light at the end of the fucked up back tunnel.
Old 16 March 2017, 20:40
Authorized Personnel

Good luck man. Having back issues sucks balls. Hope you're back up to speed here shortly.
Old 16 March 2017, 22:04
Confirmed User

^^^^^^^
Thanks Gsniper.
Old 16 March 2017, 22:36
Swimming Upstream

For those who haven't tried this, may I suggest one of Mackenzie's books? I had a disectomy in 1997 and if I am faithful to do these exercises/stretches, my pain is well manageable. When I get lazy, it is horrible!

https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0987650408/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489718078&sr=1-3&keywords=back+pain
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 16 March 2017, 23:40
Genetically Deplorable

Blew out my C4-C5. The pain manifested down my middle and ring fingers which we so numb I could smacke them with a hammer, nothing. For the first few weeks I was in pain I actually thought my shoujder was disconnected or maybe my collar bone was fractured. Two ER visits later they thought I was just there to get meds because they kept xraying my shoulder and nothing else. When I finally got an MRI it looked like a toothpaste tube had been squeezed and the toothpaste had squirted all up and down my spine! Did the pain management thing for a while but got to where I could not work because of the narcos. Did the water bag traction in my bathroom for about a month and it really helped by pulling my spine and stretching it out. I'll eventually have to get the hardened masses trimmed off or I could be dealing with a much bigger problem.

Good luck to you!! You're gonna need it.
Old 1 May 2017, 11:19

Very useful advice here. My disc at L2 fragmented apart about 5 years ago and I went the surgery route and had the pieces removed. While the doc was in there he said he saw that the L3 and L4 were cracked and about to do a similar "cheese sliding off the cracker routine". Now, I'm starting to get the similar pain running down my left leg with problems standing up straight. I'm going to try the stretches to see if that helps more than bending backwards on an exercise ball. When all else fails, back to get another MRI.
Old 1 May 2017, 17:03
What could possibly go wrong?

Injured L4 L5 disc in the 90s. It hurt so bad I was in tears. The sciatic nerve is no joke. Luckily got thru it without surgery.

My 3 neck surgeries are something else. Although the skeletal is fixed/wired/screwed together, the muscles are almost always pissed off and spasms are near daily. I find that the TENS device really helps.
Old 17 June 2017, 17:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangercon View Post
I'm not betting on an SI strain because you said the pain was the shocking kind (a lot of the time SI strains are coupled with a burning/numbing type pain, with little shocks depending on how you move) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I've read that about a 1/4 of low back pain is actually SI joint pain (will have to find my source).

MRI is always that catch-all, which, hell I got one last year on my knee just to make sure nothing major was going on. I (and many more in my field) just don't agree with a lot of general medical practitioner's knee jerk reactions and prescriptions of unnecessary surgeries.

The body has this weird thing....where it can heal itself in certain situations the trick is just exposing your body to the stimulus that causes the body to react/adapt by rebuilding.
Retired chiropractor here.

Generally speaking, if the pain is aggravated by sitting and somewhat relieved by walking, the problem is likely in the lumbar spine.
If the pain is aggravated by walking and somewhat relieved by sitting, it's more likely to be the SI joint, which is usually easier to correct.
Old 18 June 2017, 01:40
Confirmed User

Just had a spinal injection for my back s-1 s-2 left side all the way down to my foot

Our new posting rules