Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 March 2017, 17:28
The atomic zit

^^^ Just bought a new triple shreader, we needed one; so said SWIMBO.

I live in an area where a burn barrel is illegal. OTOH, my outdoor fireplace thing works just fine... :D
Old 13 March 2017, 18:19
In Vino Veritas

Sooooooo I just had to call AAA and one of the options to find my location was to ping the local cell towers...

Another thing to think about with all of this info. While you may do business with an American company, their billing my be a 3rd party out of the country. This leaving your info exposed to a bad actor. Just something to think about.
Old 13 March 2017, 19:33
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
You know how you put papers an things in the recycle trash can. In Sacramento CA. they were using the prison in mates to separate the RECYCLE the trash. A lot of individuals throw away all kinds of papers that have there personnel info on it. Some of that Information was getting out to the wrong people on the out side.

I sheared old bill, etc that have my name , address, phoned# an any other personnel information on it.

ONCE you put it in the trash any one can look at it, Police don't need to have a warrant to go thru your trash.
These companies that promise to securely recycle your papers bring these papers to these locations. Then the criminals sit down and separate everything based on color, etc. Medical records, finance, everything. Mary Jane has an STD or just had an abortion. All her personal info is on there.

It's not just prisoners but practically anyone convicted of any crime(DUI, theft, etc) that can do this work as a way of avoiding jail time.

Never trust your papers secure by placing them into a plastic bin that is later picked up by a company. Shred it yourself, or burn it yourself.
Old 13 March 2017, 19:37
Swimming Upstream

https://sudoapp.com/

10 free email accounts along with phone numbers (you choose the area code). The phone numbers work, I have used them. You have to use them at least once every 30 days for them to stay active.

SudoPay is a separate app from this company, they charge a small fee for each transaction but you will be able to create valid credit cards while protecting your privacy (as much as is possible these days)
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 13 March 2017, 21:46
Confirmed User

The methods and sources of how info is obtained is unlimited. But I would agree that the email providers, as well as Alexa and her cousins are the most egregious.

In the same scope, check out what that famous "ride sharing " company is doing/did. It goes to show how far these tech geeks go to get and exploit info.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...report-claims/
Old 13 March 2017, 23:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
I would agree that the email providers, as well as Alexa and her cousins are the most egregious.
I'd guess mobile providers, credit agencies, and DMVs in terms of real info.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 13 March 2017, 23:40
Been There Done That

You guys should give the privacy and security podcast a listen. It's available on iTunes or other places you might find podcasts. They give some pretty decent references for how to start countering this stuff. It's never too late to worry about privacy but the sooner you start the cleanup the better shape you'll be in.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I'd guess mobile providers, credit agencies, and DMVs in terms of real info.
I would have to agree with you on the real info part. I'm just thinking that the other ways are more creepy, and that the regular channels are more accepted as the norm? Well in the end it doesn't really matter, they're all guilty
Old 14 March 2017, 06:17
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
You guys should give the privacy and security podcast a listen. It's available on iTunes or other places you might find podcasts. They give some pretty decent references for how to start countering this stuff. It's never too late to worry about privacy but the sooner you start the cleanup the better shape you'll be in.
Agree 100% Mike and Justin put out good info...they take it to the extreme for themselves but then this is their niche. I was fortunate to attend one of Mike Bazzel's 2 day IDM/OSINT seminars.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 14 March 2017, 09:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I was fortunate to attend one of Mike Bazzel's 2 day IDM/OSINT seminars.
From what I've seen of Bazzel, he seems to put out some really good stuff. How was the course, and have you bought any of his books?
Old 14 March 2017, 11:15
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
From what I've seen of Bazzel, he seems to put out some really good stuff. How was the course, and have you bought any of his books?
His course was good; but a bit of overwhelming..as in all the data that was provided-there were no handouts so I wrote like mad. I have not yet bought his book, but I'm going to.

I particularly appreciate their interviews with tech companies, such as Sudo, Privacy.com, PIA and ProtonMail. They get in the weeds on the company's business model to ensure that their customers are not "the product."
Old 16 March 2017, 08:16
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
ONCE you put it in the trash any one can look at it, Police don't need to have a warrant to go thru your trash.
Yes, that's the real issue here.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 17 March 2017, 20:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
His course was good; but a bit of overwhelming..as in all the data that was provided-there were no handouts so I wrote like mad. I have not yet bought his book, but I'm going to.

I particularly appreciate their interviews with tech companies, such as Sudo, Privacy.com, PIA and ProtonMail. They get in the weeds on the company's business model to ensure that their customers are not "the product."
The books are pretty good as a reference. I've run through most of them and will often bring them out to help people.

I'm amazed at the number of people who don't ever use VPN's or have the same phone number and email address for every website. I'm still trying to clean up my info, luckily my name pretty uncommon, yet there are a bunch of us out there to confuse things.
Old 23 March 2017, 21:13
MSMD

Well, Congress just voted to allow internet service providers to sell your browser history without restriction, citing the usual excuses of "onerous regulation", "confusing to consumers" and "stifling innovation"...even with a "restricts Constitutional rights!" thrown in there. As though ISPs have a "right" to monitize your private browser information.

Feeling sick and Google your symptoms? Expect to get targeted ads for whatever ails you...even if it's a fucking STD or something else you'd just as soon the whole world didn't know about.

As more than one poster above has said, privacy is dead.
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.
~ Heraclitus
Old 23 March 2017, 22:31
Swimming Upstream

PIA VPN is good. I'm using it now. Allows me to stream Pandora while sitting in Jamaica.
Old 24 March 2017, 00:35
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Well, Congress just voted to allow internet service providers to sell your browser history without restriction, citing the usual excuses of "onerous regulation", "confusing to consumers" and "stifling innovation"...even with a "restricts Constitutional rights!" thrown in there. As though ISPs have a "right" to monitize your private browser information.

Feeling sick and Google your symptoms? Expect to get targeted ads for whatever ails you...even if it's a fucking STD or something else you'd just as soon the whole world didn't know about.

As more than one poster above has said, privacy is dead.
As I understand it, this is just to level the field with respect to "everyone else" doing it. Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, all types of businesses do this. The ISPs are upset that they are unfairly being left out of their chance to make money the same way.

Not sure if I can fully appreciate an ISP being the exact same thing as a Facebook, but if our privacy, in this respect, is valued and we don't like this idea then perhaps we should stop Facebook and others from doing it, too. Whether allowing one company to do it while preventing another one from doing the same thing is fair, is a question for people above my grade.
Old 29 March 2017, 15:27
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
As I understand it, this is just to level the field with respect to "everyone else" doing it. Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, all types of businesses do this. The ISPs are upset that they are unfairly being left out of their chance to make money the same way.

Not sure if I can fully appreciate an ISP being the exact same thing as a Facebook, but if our privacy, in this respect, is valued and we don't like this idea then perhaps we should stop Facebook and others from doing it, too. Whether allowing one company to do it while preventing another one from doing the same thing is fair, is a question for people above my grade.
The major difference, as I see it, is that Facebook, Google, etc provide a free service in exchange for my information...my ISP charges me a fucking psychotic sum of money for the privilege of giving them my information to sell. On top of that, we have a "monopoly," in the area, so the only provider of high speed internet is comcast...I've seriously considered ordering dialup from SDF...high speed or not, at least it's an alternative...

While true:
Continue
Old 29 March 2017, 15:35
MSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
The major difference, as I see it, is that Facebook, Google, etc provide a free service in exchange for my information...my ISP charges me a fucking psychotic sum of money for the privilege of giving them my information to sell. On top of that, we have a "monopoly," in the area, so the only provider of high speed internet is comcast.
Exactly. ISPs are a government sanctioned and taxpayer underwritten monopoly, which you already pay for up front. Facebook and Google are not and have alternatives (e.g. DuckDuckGo).

And don't forget that if you have a data plan, your cellphone provider is an ISP as well.
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.
~ Heraclitus
Old 29 March 2017, 20:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post

You are comparing apples and oranges.

ISP's are paid to send/receive/route your traffic via internationally recognized protocols. You are just renting bandwidth and routing.

Application level stuff like Google is a totally different type of service. You specifically choose to go to Google when you want, and to do that, you use the rented bandwidth from the ISP. So you can choose to not google, facebook, whatever you want. But you still use your isp to communicate with pretty much everything these days.

So basically with these privacy restrictions relaxed- anything you send in the clear(which for the average person is a lot) can and will be indexed and sold to the highest bidder.

-SOTB
Old 30 March 2017, 09:21
Ungood

Quote:
PIA VPN is good. I'm using it now. Allows me to stream Pandora while sitting in Jamaica.
It looks like PIA (London Trust Media, Inc.) will comply with all government requests to have your data exfiltrated without your knowledge. It's not PIA specific (aka not their fault), rather an effect of operating within the US. They are bound by export compliance laws and DCMA--which are often used as secondary and tertiary justifications for scoping up what the government can.

I always recommend Mullvad (https://www.mullvad.net/). You can even pay anonymously via cash.

Our new posting rules