Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 March 2017, 17:49
Confirmed User

SAM vs. SAM - Israeli Arrow reportedly shoots down Syrian SA-5

Here's an interesting development in the world of weapons technology:

Following an Israeli airstrike against Hezbollah targets in Syria, Syrian forces launched an SA-5 SAM at the attacking jets.
According to IDF spokesman, the SAM was intercepted and destroyed by an Israeli launched Arrow SAM.
Syrian officials, on the other hand, claim that they shot down one of the Israeli jets.

Here's a rundown of the incident according to official sources.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...lowing-strikes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39302416

As someone who knows nothing about SAMs and missile interception, I guess shooting down a SAM that has reached its maximum height and is now on a pure ballistic trajectory sounds plausible enough, although the official version is not widely accepted and some people claim that the Syrians or Hezbollah actually fired a ballistic rocket towards Jerusalem, and the claims of shooting down a SAM are simply a diplomatic solution to avoid having to retaliate even further.

I'd be happy to hear any opinions and if there is any precedence of a "hard kill" against a SAM.

Wasn't "Thou shalt not fuck with mine people" a commandment or something?? God even used semtex on a bush to get his point across ...am I wrong? - DCH

"If I don't get to fly, NO ONE gets to fly." (unofficial motto of the anti-aircraft unit, allegedly full of would-be pilots who dropped out)
Old 18 March 2017, 18:02
Confirmed User

Israelis got a THAAD system for Christmas!
Old 18 March 2017, 23:48
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdvir of IDF View Post
I'd be happy to hear any opinions and if there is any precedence of a "hard kill" against a SAM.
I'm not sure about killing SAMs, but SAMs versus SSMs has been around forever, and a SAM targeting a high altitude aircraft may not be maneuvering much during its climb, making it no more difficult to hit than an anti-ship missile that makes a terminal pop up maneuver onto its target.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 19 March 2017, 01:23
Red Headed Stepchild

My first thought,

A) Why would anyone shoot an SA-5 at a fighter unless they're out of everything else. The Pk is close to zero, especially with an Israeli caliber pilot and ECM suite.

B) I have no doubt the Arrow could do it, but why waste an ABM missile on a SAM that has a self destruct mechanism. That one's more plausible I guess if it's somehow ballistically a threat by accident or design, like a reverse BM-21.

As usual, probably more to it, be interesting to see what Aviation Leak or Jane's has to say in a couple weeks/months.
Old 19 March 2017, 02:00
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
My first thought,

A) Why would anyone shoot an SA-5 at a fighter unless they're out of everything else. The Pk is close to zero, especially with an Israeli caliber pilot and ECM suite.

B) I have no doubt the Arrow could do it, but why waste an ABM missile on a SAM that has a self destruct mechanism. That one's more plausible I guess if it's somehow ballistically a threat by accident or design, like a reverse BM-21.

As usual, probably more to it, be interesting to see what Aviation Leak or Jane's has to say in a couple weeks/months.
Bolded part my thoughts exactly. This is literally like the line POTUS Bush talked about shooting a million dollar missile up a camel's butt.

The Israelis would have to consider this an operational test to get any value in shooting down a Gammon with an Arrow.

The SA-5 is the technological contemporary, yet inferior to the US Hawk which to be generous is about as effective as having an A-gunner hold an M-60 bipod over his head as the gunner shoots at aircraft. A Cessna pilot would have to have a really bad day to get shot down by an SA-5.
Old 19 March 2017, 07:59
Confirmed User

Usually the missile defence systems (Arrow/Iron Dome) will only be launched if the computation is that the missile will fall on populated areas hence the waste is a non factor. Having not been a pilot, I don't know much about anti aircraft missiles but that's the theory.
Old 19 March 2017, 08:06
Not quite right...

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Hanukkah, you mean
Old 19 March 2017, 15:38
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Similar, but different.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...defense-01571/

This a pretty good summary of the Israeli missile defense plan, to the time of writing:

https://arirusila.wordpress.com/2016...-in-the-world/

Last edited by Medic09; 19 March 2017 at 15:44.
Old 19 March 2017, 16:24
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
The Israelis would have to consider this an operational test to get any value in shooting down a Gammon with an Arrow.

The SA-5 is the technological contemporary, yet inferior to the US Hawk which to be generous is about as effective as having an A-gunner hold an M-60 bipod over his head as the gunner shoots at aircraft. A Cessna pilot would have to have a really bad day to get shot down by an SA-5.
I would say SA-5 is more like Nike Hercules vice HAWK. A large, basically fixed site long range SAM with alternative surface to surface role. Although, much like HAWK, the Soviets have kept the Gammon fairly upgraded, although I have no idea what the Syrians have done with theirs.

SA-5 has semi-active terminal guidance, like almost all long range SAM's, and may have passive IR and/or home on jam as well. It's a fast missile, with a large warhead, a high performance plane at range should be OK, but close up, the missile has a lot of energy, so it would be unwise to volunteer to find out what the latest solid state upgrades Putin has sold to Syria. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 20 March 2017, 00:46
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Usually the missile defence systems (Arrow/Iron Dome) will only be launched if the computation is that the missile will fall on populated areas hence the waste is a non factor. Having not been a pilot, I don't know much about anti aircraft missiles but that's the theory.
From what I've been able to find, Syria has submodels of the SA-5b but not the SA-5c which is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. However, any SA-5 that could potentially follow a ballistic arc toward you should probably be shot down just on the off chance that things are not as they seem. The remote chance is worth the cost of shooting it down.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 20 March 2017, 02:49
Confirmed User

Last week's news said that a Patriot missile (Saudi?) was used to down a recon quadcopter(Houthi?). Amazing that a long range radar could see something that tiny that's made mostly out of plastic?
Old 20 March 2017, 06:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The remote chance is worth the cost of shooting it down.
Absolutely. Syria also has the largest chem/bio program In the region.
Old 20 March 2017, 15:45
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
the missile has a lot of energy, so it would be unwise to volunteer to find out what the latest solid state upgrades Putin has sold to Syria. S/F.....Ken M
True, but unless Syria's completely reengineered it, the maneuver-time constant and the turn radius suck. The first being a computation and guidance limitation, the second being a physical limitation of the missile. We generally didn't sweat the SA-5, even in the A-10. My current McDonnell Douglas ride, different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3e
Last week's news said that a Patriot missile (Saudi?) was used to down a recon quadcopter(Houthi?). Amazing that a long range radar could see something that tiny that's made mostly out of plastic?
I have no problem believing that. Again I just wonder why.
Old 20 March 2017, 16:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3e View Post
Last week's news said that a Patriot missile (Saudi?) was used to down a recon quadcopter(Houthi?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I have no problem believing that. Again I just wonder why.
Saudis need a "win" against the Houthis, since so far the Houthis have pretty much beat the shit out of the Saudis despite being overmatched in every category except courage and determination.
Old 20 March 2017, 16:25
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Saudis need a "win" against the Houthis, since so far the Houthis have pretty much beat the shit out of the Saudis despite being overmatched in every category except courage and determination.
Makes sense. Without knowing all the details, just seems like a better job for, I don't know, a Rem 870. Didn't they just shoot down a Houthi missile last week?
Old 21 March 2017, 17:29
Preparing to defend

If it's the same type of Saudi's I ran across at KKMC, wouldn't surprise me to see them get their asses kicked by Howard, Fine, and Howard.

(For some of you younger guys, that's the "Three Stooges")

Our new posting rules