Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 March 2009, 00:25
Cat Herder

What about well water? Mine has a good amount of iron in it, but I use a filter that gets most of it out.

S7
Old 13 March 2009, 13:51
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=sierraseven;1120099]What about well water? Mine has a good amount of iron in it, but I use a filter that gets most of it out.

S7[/QUOTE)]

Potable water which is out of the tap contains chlorine and floride. Well water have their own unique characteristics. Here's a link that explains it pretty well:

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Bio...eer/water2.htm

Beer contains approximately 90% water, and the importance of the liquor to final beer quality cannot be over-estimated.

Historically a correlation was observed between the liquor composition of an area and the type of beer that the region could best brew.

The Pale Ales of Burton-on-Trent and Edinburgh, Porters of London, Stouts of Dublin and Lagers of Pilsen are classic examples.

Water falling as rain, hail, sleet or snow is pure, but dissolves gasses such as oxygen and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. On reaching the ground the water runs off into rivers, streams and lakes and on in some cases to reservoirs.

The composition of the water in the reservoirs is dependent upon the nature of the catchment area. In areas where the rocks are hard, the water will not penetrate deeply, and will be 'soft' - that is low in dissolved salts.

In areas where the rocks are more permeable - gypsum or limestone for example - water will penetrate readily and dissolve many minerals on its way to the reservoirs to become 'hard'.

Soft Hard
Calcium 10 240
Magnesium 2 50
Bicarbonate 15 250
Sulphate 5 500
Nitrate 5 40
Chloride 5 50
All figures in mgs per litre (ppm)

Hope this helps!
Old 13 March 2009, 13:54
Confirmed User

S7,

I would think that there are some great natural springs and very pure 'agua' up your way!
Old 26 August 2009, 00:26
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Anyone ever home brew into mason jars? I'm going to take up the hobby this fall and my family has about 200 mason jars that are empty because the fucking strawberries got destroyed by climate change.

I want to avoid the PITA bottling and I'm not the type that would raise a stink about drinking out of a jar. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 26 August 2009, 00:39
Confirmed User

They won't hold the pressure. You'll end up with exploding bottles.
Old 26 August 2009, 00:44
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
They won't hold the pressure. You'll end up with exploding bottles.
Have you tried or are you speculating? (serious question)
I always considered mason jars to be pretty solid. I did some extensive googling and found your same concern. However I didn't find anyone who had tried it. I think my first batch I'll do just one in a mason jar. I want to avoid explosions when possible.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician

Last edited by redhawk; 26 August 2009 at 00:46.
Old 26 August 2009, 01:11
Been There Done That

A few important things. As mentioned, go with larger bottles (0.5L and 22oz or quarts if you can find them w/o screw-off caps.) Nothing sucks worse than washing, filling and capping 55 12 oz bottles. Cleanliness is important, wash all bottles and equipment well. Bleach is cheap and readily available,just make sure there are no remnants in the bottles when you use them, it reacts with the beer and creates off flavors. Take care not to over prime when bottling (the carbonation is produced after bottling via secondary fermantation) don't want exploding bottles. As far as clarifying agents, regular Knox gelatin works well and is cheap. Experiment, keeping a journal is useful.
Old 26 August 2009, 01:12
I aim to misbehave

I have to save this thread to my favorites. I've wanted to start home-brewing for quite some time. Had a friend in VA who brewed some OUTSTANDING beers.

While true:
Continue
Old 26 August 2009, 01:19
Been There Done That

The book "The Joy of Home Brewing" by Charles Papazian is pretty much considered the bible for beginnners.
Old 26 August 2009, 07:01
Psi Brr
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather View Post
Cold, it was only 76 today! I thought I would have to bust out the snivel gear.
HA HA HA! 76 is COLD?

Last edited by Psi Brr; 26 August 2009 at 07:10.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Have you tried or are you speculating? (serious question)
I always considered mason jars to be pretty solid. I did some extensive googling and found your same concern. However I didn't find anyone who had tried it. I think my first batch I'll do just one in a mason jar. I want to avoid explosions when possible.
I have not tried it. People have problems with exploding regular beer bottles from over priming. I don't think it would be wise to rely on a bottle that was never meant to be pressurized. You might be able to add less priming sugar before bottling, but you would end up with beer that was pretty flat. I have put hard cider into masons. However I left it "still" (un-carbonated).

If you really want to avoid the bottling PITA, go to adventures in homebrewing and get their keg kit. It is like a hundred bucks for everything but the gas tank. THen you only have to sanitize and fill one "bottle". Besides draft beer tastes better anyways.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:55
Confirmed User

I'm sipping on my first batch right now, and I have to say it's pretty awesome sipping on some homemade brew. I went the cheap route (broke college student) and bought Mr Beer Kit (http://www.mrbeer.com/). Bed Bath & beyond for only 29.99.

It's actually a hell of a lot better than I expected, and I know my next batch is going to be even better. Great idea on the water tip. There is a natural well in my city that I plan to hit up for my next batch. Have about a gallon and a half left to bring up to the family for the holidays.

I wasn't sure how much I'd get into it, so I only used plastic 2 liter soda bottles to bottle. Kept them under my bar in the dark and they all have a great color (looks like a blue moon). Has a hint of pears in it. I'm going to have to invest in some darkened bottles next time.
Old 24 November 2010, 02:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
Uh, is there such a thing........

Oh, never mind. Wrong thread.
ROFL
Old 24 November 2010, 10:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostha2008 View Post
Indeed, I will be glad to share some of it once i get started. I nabbed up some nice Copper brewing kettles from a neighbor, he gave me a couple of fermentation bottles and such... this will be an interesting endeavor.
Was your neighbor making 'shine? Sounds like it with that equipment...

and brewing 'ethanol' for your car isn't too hard either...

Redhawk might cough up some of those mason jars for the 'authentic' look too...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 24 November 2010 at 10:30.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:54
Been There Done That

I brewed on and off at home for 20+ years. In fact my turkey is brining in a brew bucket right now. Those books are good, journal is good, but like good home cooking, the more you do it, the easier and better it gets. I been getting everything I need from Williams forever: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/

They got everything you need from kits to kegs.

Start with the kits and go from there. One of my personal favorite kits is the Triple Hopped Ale. You're friends will think you bought a type of Sam and re-bottled it.
Old 25 November 2010, 17:33
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Buying a starter kit and following the instructions is a great way to learn. Home brewing has had a bad rap over the years but if you brew a "bad batch" I am willing to bet a benny that you weren't clean enough.

Clean everything to bakery/hospital standards. When dealing with yeast products, the danger is wild yeast spores infecting your live brew and although there is a chance of a "happy accident"' occuring, 99% of the time, the wild yeast infection will destroy your brew.

So bottom line is clean, clean, clean and clean some more. Source some Metabisulphate to clean with. Better for your gear and the brew than bleach and a purpose cleaner used by commercial as well as micro-breweries everywhere.

Enjoy the brew!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 25 November 2010, 17:41
Preparing to defend

Thumbs up

Just because someone resurrected this thread, I broke out a Mr. Beer Barrel and started planning on another brew. Haven't done that since about '97. Am really looking forward to it!
Old 26 November 2010, 16:05
Just fading away....

Ingredients:
  1. 1000lbs of sugar
  2. 250 lbs of ground up corn
  3. 5 labs of yeast
  4. Spring water - lot's of it
  • Equipment
    1. 500 gal stainless steel water tank
    2. 100 ft of copper tubing 1" in dia.
    3. 2000 mason jars with lids
    4. 250 lbs of charcoal
    5. 1 big canoe paddle
  • Misc. but necessary extras
    1. 3 of your closets friends
    2. 3 good looking women
    3. 3 sleeping bags - see item 2
    4. 5 cases of MRE's
    5. Shitpaper
    6. Boom box with CD collection of Creedance Clearwater Revival
    7. 500 sandbags
    8. Coal truck to haul the sand
    9. 1967 chevy stepside pickup for transportation
    10. 20 rolls of barbed wire
    11. 50' by 50' IR and Radar reflective netting from "cheaper than dirt"
    12. 3 head mounted NVG's
    13. 3 weapons mounted NVG's
    14. Lotsa batteries for Items 12 and 13
    15. 1000 cowpiles - put in LZ to greet black whirly gig's as they land, just make sure you water them down good
    16. 12 pairs of 5.11 uniforms - so you can blend in when the black things get there
    17. Firearms - No rifle smaller than a 7.62, no pistol smaller than a .45, no shotgun less than a 12 guage, and all must be dressed in realtree camo
    18. Ammo - enough to fill up grandad's WWII footlocker.
    19. 10-100 count bottles of Excedrin - you will get a headache or two while attempting this mission.
    20. Just remember the Code of Conduct if captured.
      • Instruction:
        Wait a sec..............Did you say beer??????
Old 20 March 2017, 22:37
Confirmed User

So I picked a metric shit ton of plums at some old homesteads last fall/summer and turned them into this. Still have ten pounds in the freezer for round two. Have to say this round turned out a lot more palatable than 16 year old me's attempt when Mom said I can hear something bubbling in your bedroom. I sampled it as I was back sweetening and have to say it packs a punch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 21 March 2017, 01:17
Been There Done That

Mead:

15 lbs of honey, 5 gallons of spring water, keep it above 180 for an hour, but it doesn't need to boil (unlike beer). Skim the froth off before cooling and putting into the primary fermenter with 2 packs of red-ball yeast (started in warm water and some honey). Add some oak chips if you want that "just kegged for the trip to raid Lindisfarne" flavor. Add some bentonite for clarity. Leave it in the fermenter for a month. Rack into a secondary, leave it there for a month. Bottle. Forget about it for about 2 years.

Buy an axe, and enough animal skin to make a kilt. Crack the bottle open, drink it. Rape and pillage.

Repeat as necessary.

Our new posting rules