Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 March 2017, 15:33
Confirmed User

Hoo...Hoo...HooSIERS...Oh wait...
Old 20 March 2017, 16:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Then you should have a lot of pride in your wrestling program....they did something pretty unheard of over the weekend....5 national champions in a row.....your freshman pinned a returning 2X Nat'l Champ, your freshman won at 174, your sophomore beat a 2x Nat'l champ, your 149 and 157 pounders went undefeated for the season....pretty awesome display.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/wrestling/d1

http://www.ncaa.com/video/wrestling/...hip-2017-recap
I'd seen a bunch of "Congrats PSU Wrestling" posts on Facebook over the weekend, but I've been burning the candle in about 5 places and didn't get a chance to look at it in detail. That does, in fact, look awesome. Way to go, PSU!
Old 20 March 2017, 16:30
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people who picked all 16 teams still live.

As for seeding, I guess I have to change my tune a bit. In the end the champion still has to win six straight games, so it really doesn't matter in the end who they play, or when.

Like an old saying, you can play them now or play them later, but you'll still have to play somebody. And beat them.

Last edited by Spinner; 20 March 2017 at 16:40.
Old 20 March 2017, 16:56
Confirmed User

My recap from yesterday's games:

In general - great day of College Basketball. As already stated - seeds and regions were messed up, but the games were very exciting.

I was full couch potato yesterday and watched 4 games.
Kentucky v Wichita St
UNC v Arkansas
Duke v S Car
Kansas v Mich St

All were very competitive and well-played games, with the exception of Kansas (at least 2nd half). One pleasant observation across the games I watched - the refs did a great job of letting the players play the game. The glaring exception to this was Duke v SCar. The refs took the game into their own hands, and I hate that. At least they were consistently horrible for both teams. But I think five guys fouled out total?? That's ridiculous. There were apparently some other awesome games that I missed - Oregon v RI and Michigan v Louisville.

I so wanted Mich St to beat Kansas (just because I don't like Kansas). The other games I just watched as a fan of college ball. My horse in this race (Nova) is already out. I really do appreciate the difference of college basketball vs pro ball (in any sport) and the Tournament highlights this difference greater than other college sports, in my opinion. It's my favorite sporting event of the year.
Old 20 March 2017, 17:12

It's hard to judge the officiating, given how many games there are across all of the regionals. While I agree they mostly let them play on, I also saw quite a few garbage calls in the games I watched, not to mention the unbelievable non-call in the Northwestern game against Gonzaga when the Gonzaga player reached up through the basket to block a shot.

That would have put NU within 3, with a lot of momentum going their way after battling back from being down 20. Instead they didn't get the basket and then to add insult to injury their coach Chris Collins got a T when he came onto the court to protest.

Took the wind right out of their sails.
Old 20 March 2017, 17:43
Confirmed User

Arkansas got absolutely robbed via officiating. And I'm not an Arkansas fan at all. I don't even live in Arkansas.

I'm a retired (this year) basketball official of 27 years. I've never seen calls like these during this tourney. It's hard to believe.
Old 20 March 2017, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker View Post
Arkansas got absolutely robbed via officiating. And I'm not an Arkansas fan at all. I don't even live in Arkansas.

I'm a retired (this year) basketball official of 27 years. I've never seen calls like these during this tourney. It's hard to believe.
^^ This. We were completely dumbfounded at the officiating against Arkansas. I'm not saying it took the game from them, but..... yeah.

Overall, weird tournament this year but great basketball, nonetheless. My bracket is shit but my 'Cats are still in it!
Old 20 March 2017, 23:13
Authorized Personnel

Even Fox News is piling on the anti-Duke bandwagon...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...e-history.html
Old 20 March 2017, 23:31
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker View Post

Just as a couple of blatantly bad calls late in the Arkansas game completely shaped its outcome, there were a couple of highly suspicious ones late in the Duke game, but the SC lead remained sufficient that the bad calls were incapable of overcoming the Gamecocks' lead.

I remember the 1974 Gamecocks, the last group to win a playoff game. The current squad isn't as good as those guys were (Brian Winters, Alex English, Mike Dunleavy, and Danny Traylor all went to the NBA), but they only have to beat their competition.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 21 March 2017, 12:08
Confirmed User

I truly believe the calls against Arkansas cost them the game. It's pretty difficult to swallow for the players, staff and fans I'm sure.
Old 21 March 2017, 13:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Even Fox News is piling on the anti-Duke bandwagon...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...e-history.html
Short memory. Clearly they do not recall the ass-reaming UNLV handed Duke in the 1990 championship game (103-73), which is still a record.

Duke wins well, but loses spectacularly.

A loss is a loss, no excuses and all. That said, there are some mitigating circumstances on why they could not get to their potential this year.
Old 21 March 2017, 15:47

Duke is like the NY Yankees of college basketball, the team everybody loves to hate.
Old 21 March 2017, 16:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Duke is like the NY Yankees of college basketball, the team everybody loves to hate.
I work at Duke (went to grad school here a while back). Half the people who work here pull for UNC.
Old 23 March 2017, 17:40

I was looking at the remaining games, I could see at least one or two of the remaining #1 seeds getting knocked off.

And I've suddenly become an Xavier fan. The best part is that they have two mascots, a Musketeer and Blue Blob, which gives them a mascot edge, always important in tournament basketball.
Old 24 March 2017, 08:12
Confirmed User

I was not overly impressed with Gonzaga. Xavier played balls out. I was surprised with Kansas in the first half, but loved how they turned a train wreck into a dominant performance.

UNC is the weakest number 1 remaining. They got by Arkansas with some horrible officiating (albeit, it went both ways).
Old 24 March 2017, 11:12

The Gonzaga game was a great depiction of a true competition. Thoroughly enjoyed that game, in spite of that ridiculous break in the game by the refs to determine if there had been a foul or if he stepped out of bounds, both of which were incredibly obvious with just a cursory glance.

Was getting excited about the Purdue game but wasn't surprised when Kansas came back with such an excellent performance.

Still pulling for Kentucky but the performances by Xavier have been awesome to watch. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the final game. As for my bracket... Well who cares anymore lol!
Old 24 March 2017, 20:21
Confirmed User

Well, the two early games tonight have sucked so far.
Old 25 March 2017, 18:23
Confirmed User

I am putting all my eggs on Kansas or Kentucky. For the love of all that is holy, someone please beat UNC.
Old 25 March 2017, 18:41

Have to go with Xavier, the Blue Blob is a mysterious and formidable force in the universe.

Although in the end, Kansas will probably win it all.
Old 25 March 2017, 18:42

If Kentucky can turn their second half game into their entire game, they should take it this year. At the very least I'll be happy WHEN they beat UNC. Nothing better than walking around this state in KY blue and watching the angry faces.

Our new posting rules