Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 3 February 2011, 15:13
NKDA

WPPS/WPS Consolidated Information

Due to all of the recent questions in regards this program; I thought I'd post the all current information regarding the US Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security, Office of High Threat Protection – Worldwide Personal Protective Service (WPPS)/Worldwide Protective Service (WPS).

If the answer to your question cannot be found within the following information, or by utilizing the “Search” feature located within the toolbar near the top of this page; submit your question below and it will most likely be answered within a short amount of time. As the information below changes, feel free to add updates as well.

Background
Under the Diplomatic and Antiterrorism Act of 1986, the Bureau of Diplomatic Security (DS) of the Department of State has a broad range of responsibilities that include protection of personnel and facilities both domestic and abroad. In certain circumstances, and when directed, Contractors may be required to recruit, evaluate, and train, U.S., third-country, and local nationals in established protective security procedures, conduct protective security operations overseas, and provide trained protective security personnel for short or long-term special domestic security situations.

DS has become increasingly involved in providing protective services for high-level U.S. official, certain designated foreign leaders, and diplomatic facilities around the world. As a result of conflicts, wars, political unrest, and more recently, terrorist activity, these areas have become extremely dangerous places in which to live and work.

The Bureau of Diplomatic Security is unable to provide protective services on a long–term basis from its pool of Special Agents, thus outside contractual support is required for emergency protective requirements stated on extremely short notice.

Upon award of a Task Order, DS will assign a U.S. Government COR or Government Technical Monitor (GTM) at the site where the Task Order is to be executed. The Regional Security Officer (RSO) or RSO designee will have on-site operational authority over the Contractor’s employees. The Contractor’s employees, under the leadership of the Contractor, shall execute the Task Order in accordance with the Task Order’s SOW.

Section 1: Current WPPS II Providers with Active Task Orders (as of Feb 2011)
-US Training Center: (Static/Mobile)
-Dyncorp International (Static/Mobile/Air)
-Triple Canopy (Static/Mobile)

Section 2: Current WPS Providers with Active Task Orders (as of Feb 2011)
-EODT (Static)
-SOC (Static)

Section 3: Approved WPS Providers awaiting future Task Orders (as of Feb 2011)
SAQMMA10D0094 : Aegis Defense Services, LLC
SAQMMA10D0095 : DynCorp International, LLC
SAQMMA10D0096 : EOD Technology, Inc.
SAQMMA10D0097 : Global Strategies Group (Integrated Security), Inc.
SAQMMA10D0098 : International Development Solutions, LLC
SAQMMA10D0099 : SOC, LLC
SAQMMA10D0100 : Torres International Services, LLC
SAQMMA10D0104 : Triple Canopy, Inc.

Section 4: OCONUS Labor Categories
-SOCNET Members may review the attached Adobe PDF Entitled “Labor Categories” for a comprehensive listing of all Labor Categories and their associated requirements.

-Remember: Personnel staffing will be directed in the Task Orders and will be based upon a Security Assessment of the area in which protection is to be provided. Detail complement and configuration may be adjusted at any time at the discretion of the appropriate RSO and DS Agent in Charge (AIC). Details may include, but are not limited to, Counter Assault Teams, EDD K-9 Teams, and/or Designated Defensive Marksman Teams.

Section 5: Screening/Vetting/Training
-Currently, the WPPS II vetting process is still in effect. Expect 21 days of in house training away from your HoR. In the near future, the WPS vetting process will be initiated and will take approx 31 days to complete.

-During either course, you will receive training in a wide variety of aspects of Protective Security Detail operations. Keep your mouth shut, ears and eyes open. Be prepared to do what you are told, when you are told to do it, the first time you are told. This is a month-long job interview. You do not have a job/contract just because you make it to this course. Many of you will be dropped from training and sent home for a variety of reasons; the top two being: (1) Failure to meet physical fitness standards, and (2) Failure to meet weapons qualification standards; therefore, I will review these in detail. All other aspects of training remain Unclassified but are considered Sensitive Information by the US Gov and/or Controlled/Restricted Proprietary Information by the Contractor/Company and will not be discussed/disclosed in further detail on this open forum.

-(1) Physical Efficiency Battery (PT Test): The WPPS/WPS Physical Efficiency Battery is based off of the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center’s Physical Efficiency Battery and consists of: (a) Timed 1.5 Mile Run; (b) Timed Agility Run/Sprint; (c) Sit and Reach Test; and (d) Bodyweight % Max Bench Press. – You must pass all sections of the PEB. A failure in one area constitutes as a failure of the entire PEB. – Further information on the PEB, including scoring rubrics divided by age/sex can be found at the FLETC Website by following this link: http://www.fletc.gov/training/progra...tery-peb.html/

-(2) Weapons Qualification Standards: Upon arriving at the designated training location, you are expected to already have an advanced working knowledge of weapons handling skills. The instructors are not there to teach you how to shoot; rather, they are there to evaluate your techniques/performance as it relates to the DoS Standard. You are expected to be familiar with, and able to qualify with, the following weapon systems: (a) M4 Carbine, Prone/Kneeling/Standing; (b) Glock 19 Pistol, Standing; (c) Remington 870 Shotgun, Standing; (d) M203 Grenade Launcher, Kneeling/Standing; (e) M249 SAW, Prone; (f) M240B Machine Gun, Prone. – You will also be familiarized with the AK-47 Assault Rifle although no qualification standard exists for this weapon system under the WPPS/WPS programs.

Section 6: Deployment Rotations and Pay
-These two subjects are variable depending on your company and the location in which your services are to be provided. The ONLY way to know what you are getting yourself into is to speak with your company POC directly, and then if/when you receive a contract, carefully review it (although this [your contract] is subject to change based on the needs of the program).
Old 16 February 2011, 20:14
Confirmed User

Not sure where this should go but I figure someone will direct me.

I got a ticket with about 12 hours notice to wheels up for the WPS course, and have no packing list or training schedule for SOC. I've sent 3 emails over the last week don't have a phone number and can't get an answer so here's my last ditch effort. Anyone know if we're getting the weekend off to grab stuff? I didn't want to buy a pile of gear that they issue. What do I need to get through the first few days? What's the POV policy?

Like I said, I wouldn't ask but, I'm already on my heels and can't get an answer. Can someone in the know send me a PM?
Old 16 February 2011, 21:04
#AllLionsMatter

I don't think you would have been notified IF, you had not applied?

Adjust/Adapt, Improvise & Overcome...this is NOT an occupation where you can not be ready at all times!

Good luck, take care & stay safe!

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 February 2011, 21:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop6236 View Post
Not sure where this should go but I figure someone will direct me.

I got a ticket with about 12 hours notice to wheels up for the WPS course, and have no packing list or training schedule for SOC. I've sent 3 emails over the last week don't have a phone number and can't get an answer so here's my last ditch effort. Anyone know if we're getting the weekend off to grab stuff? I didn't want to buy a pile of gear that they issue. What do I need to get through the first few days? What's the POV policy?

Like I said, I wouldn't ask but, I'm already on my heels and can't get an answer. Can someone in the know send me a PM?
PM sent.

(for others who may need a packing list) Shoot me a PM and I can get one to you.
Old 16 February 2011, 22:17
Been There Done That

I was looking at the Male PEB percentile scores. Made me laugh: 99% score for the bench press is 187% of your body weight; and <5% body fat.

Those types of people were the first to die/wished they died in Phase Training...

There's no way on earth I could bench 370 pounds for even a single rep. I gots me some chicken wings for arms.
Old 17 February 2011, 00:43
Confirmed User

Everything you wanted to know and more about WPS is located at the below listed link.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=1

x/S
Old 29 November 2012, 14:53

Section 4: OCONUS Labor Categories
-SOCNET Members may review the attached Adobe PDF Entitled “Labor Categories” for a comprehensive listing of all Labor Categories and their associated requirements.

Where can this be found? I am looking for the requirements for Labor Categories P, S, & G.

Stay safe!!
Old 4 December 2012, 19:16
Confirmed User

Link

RBG,
You can click on the link above your post. When the FBO page opens, click on the link at the top right that says "exhibits". Look under Exhibit C for a list of positions and qualifications...

Last edited by medic101; 4 December 2012 at 19:22. Reason: Grammar
Old 4 December 2012, 20:55
Confirmed User

Squid,
GREAT resource!!! Thanks.

Surfer
Old 5 December 2012, 11:22

Medic101.....Mucho appreciated info!!
Thanks and stay safe!!
Old 28 January 2013, 05:20
Confirmed User

Anybody hear about any new task orders because of the fallout from Benghazi?

Winston Churchill
Old 28 January 2013, 05:39
Looking For Work

The "Benghazi Effect" some were hoping for is quite the opposite. State is cutting jobs/man/woman power, not adding them. As far as new TO's, I don't know; I doubt it.
Old 1 February 2013, 10:04

Quick question about WPS III PSS qualification - if someone completed the full PSS course in July 2012 but has yet to deploy, is there an expiration on the qualification? Have a friend who completed the course at the stated time, and waited on the bench for 5-6 months with original sponsor company. He then decided to switch over to company 2, who just recently told him they want him to repeat the full PSS course. Company 2 has his WPS III certificate from July, but is still requiring the retrain.
Old 1 February 2013, 11:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPDefender View Post
Quick question about WPS III PSS qualification - if someone completed the full PSS course in July 2012 but has yet to deploy, is there an expiration on the qualification? .
Not really an expiration per se. Weapons and PEB equals are normally required annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPDefender View Post
Have a friend who completed the course at the stated time, and waited on the bench for 5-6 months with original sponsor company. He then decided to switch over to company 2, who just recently told him they want him to repeat the full PSS course. Company 2 has his WPS III certificate from July, but is still requiring the retrain.
This is not uncommon. Some primes will allow attending a transition course to suffice - while others may require repeating the entire process. Global and SOC use the same training provider so neither would be necessary unless one year has passed.
Old 1 February 2013, 14:31

I'm tracking now, thank you very much
Old 1 February 2013, 16:33
Moderator Weapons & H2H

If this friend has a WPS III certificate then it is fake.There is only WPPS I, WPPS II and WPS.

Lets say you received your WPS certificate from TC then resigned and got picked up by Academi. Then Academi would have you go thru their WPS certification course even though you still have a valid one from TC.
Tripod, it was my understanding that the WPS certificates were good for 5 years. But if you switched companies like in my above scenario you would still have to take the course again.

Edited to add: Weapons quals are done every quarter and every time you rotate in, so approx 2 times every 3 months. PEBs are done 30 to 15 days out from your leave date every rotation. Thats for the company I work for not sure how other companies handle their quals and PEBs. State only requires yearly but my company does it a little different to keep us fit and on our toes lol

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX

Last edited by SGTROCK; 1 February 2013 at 16:39.
Old 1 February 2013, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTROCK View Post
Lets say you received your WPS certificate from TC then resigned and got picked up by Academi. Then Academi would have you go thru their WPS certification course even though you still have a valid one from TC.
Tripod, it was my understanding that the WPS certificates were good for 5 years. But if you switched companies like in my above scenario you would still have to take the course again.
I think TC and Academi are especially 'picky' about this. I believe I read on here awhile back that neither of them were recognizing O'Gara certs. As for the 5 year deal Rock, I can't say for sure. The WPS POI has been changed (as in lengthened) a couple of times in the last 6 - 7 years requiring guys to at least do transition anyway.

Quote:
Edited to add: Weapons quals are done every quarter and every time you rotate in, so approx 2 times every 3 months. PEBs are done 30 to 15 days out from your leave date every rotation. Thats for the company I work for not sure how other companies handle their quals and PEBs. State only requires yearly but my company does it a little different to keep us fit and on our toes lol
The annual DoS requirement is what I was refering to. But yes, some of the primes will do weapons quals quarterly if they have the BFFOC qualified manpower needed to accomplish that.

There have been times when guys have been on the bench awhile and the prime has sent them back to us for a few days to run them through another PEB and weapons quals.
Old 1 February 2013, 19:23
Confirmed User

The WPS cert doesn't expire if you are on contract. The clock starts ticking when you leave contract. 1 year off contract = transition course again. 3 years off contract = full course again.

The transition course for WPPS II -> WPS was so long (two weeks) due to the "significant" difference between the full courses (23? days for WPPS II vs 42 days for WPS).

WPS II is already in the works to correct what they see as deficiencies in the WPS course, but the transition "course" for those currently on WPS will not be as lengthy as this current transition course is because there isn't as much of a substance difference (at least up to this point) between WPS to WPS II vs WPPS to WPS.

If you worked for one company and had a WPS cert through them and then resigned, then went to another company, they'd still require you to at least do the transition course. However, now that the transition is done for BOG personnel, I can't say whether or not they are even doing transition courses anymore, in which case you'd be subject to the full course again regardless.

It seems redundant in certain ways. I question why the client would spend tax dollars to reimburse companies that put people through a course in which they are already certified. Waste of money. On the other hand, the companies also want to vet personnel (regardless of what certifications they have) to ensure that those personnel meet what the company is looking for. I've seen at least one company that will pass just about anybody with a pulse even if they are tactical nightmares, and at least one other company that will fail people when they rightly should fail, even if they were short on contract.
Old 1 February 2013, 23:30

Quote:
If this friend has a WPS III certificate then it is fake.
Just to clear up my nomenclature fallacy - the cert that he has in hand (same as mine) reads WPS PSS Course, not WPS III.

Thanks again for the information folks!
Old 2 February 2013, 09:47
Been There Done That

MM - Is the information that you are posting below gained from first hand knowledge? If so, what is the source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MopyMerc:( View Post
WPS II is already in the works to correct what they see as deficiencies in the WPS course, but the transition "course" for those currently on WPS will not be as lengthy as this current transition course is because there isn't as much of a substance difference (at least up to this point) between WPS to WPS II vs WPPS to WPS.

If you worked for one company and had a WPS cert through them and then resigned, then went to another company, they'd still require you to at least do the transition course. However, now that the transition is done for BOG personnel, I can't say whether or not they are even doing transition courses anymore, in which case you'd be subject to the full course again regardless.

It seems redundant in certain ways. I question why the client would spend tax dollars to reimburse companies that put people through a course in which they are already certified. Waste of money. On the other hand, the companies also want to vet personnel (regardless of what certifications they have) to ensure that those personnel meet what the company is looking for. I've seen at least one company that will pass just about anybody with a pulse even if they are tactical nightmares, and at least one other company that will fail people when they rightly should fail, even if they were short on contract.

Our new posting rules