Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 December 2011, 22:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps242 View Post
I'm more of a Lynsey Dyer guy myself.
Very hot.
Old 15 December 2011, 23:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps242 View Post
I'm more of a Lynsey Dyer guy myself..but now that Lindsey Vonn is single I'm sure she's eagerly awaiting my call.

You should check out "Out of the Shadows" by Dendrite Studios. Great vid from guys in BC.
Will do. Lynsey Dyer's nothing to scoff at either.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 December 2011, 15:21
Conquer Life.

Just started snowboarding last year. Picked up the basics pretty quick and was attempting some small rails and jumps by the end of the season. Made it to Big Bear a few times and a week in Breckenridge. Looking forward to this year. Will be in Tahoe Jan 8-10 if anyone is around and wants to laugh at me trying to learn rails.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 18 December 2011, 15:06
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Unfortunately not going to make it to AK this year. Some day will be back up there. Due to working also not going to ski as much as I want to this year but will get some skiing in somewhere. Still to be determined. I started skiing at 5. Got 2 seasons of pro ski patrol one at Alyeska and one at Crystal Mt in WA. Fun times and sometimes I wish I would have stuck to it.
Alyeska just got 47" of fresh pow on Monday. Mt was closed though due to an avalanche taking out a sub-station and knocking out all of the power to Girdwood. I live at Alyeska. North Face and Christmas Chute all day.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 23 December 2011, 21:48
Verified SOF

Was at Snow King (Jackson, WY) yesterday and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort today. Need some more snow is all I can say...
Old 23 December 2011, 23:03
Been There Done That

Dude, I've got my little ski app and the only updates I keep seeing are "Alyeska 5 inches" "Alyeska 17 inches" etc. Everywhere else is bone dry right now, including Golden and Revy.

I'm putting my daily prayers in to Ullr but he seems to be wrapped up with AK!

Old 24 December 2011, 11:24
Authorized Personnel

Cayman,
What we need is somebody to turn up the heat. -18 is getting old, locals don't ski in the bitter cold
Old 24 December 2011, 13:26
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Dude, I've got my little ski app and the only updates I keep seeing are "Alyeska 5 inches" "Alyeska 17 inches" etc. Everywhere else is bone dry right now, including Golden and Revy.

I'm putting my daily prayers in to Ullr but he seems to be wrapped up with AK!
Check Alyeska now My parents live in Eagle River and my mom just txted me a pictue yesterday of her putting a tape measure in their driveway and the recent snow fall was at 27"
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 9 January 2012, 01:46
On the Extract Bird

Anybody here ever do any heli-skiing in Canada? CMH out of Canada got me hooked during some ski club meeting in 2006 and I've come so close to doing it that I lost a booking fee back in 2007 after chickening out. Each year, once the fall gets here, they flood my inbox once a week throughout the winter, and their sales rep sends me free heli-skiing posters to make me feel guilty. And it works. Plus their instructor staff (the nicest, most patient people on the planet) come here to DC once a year and each time I promise the same people I'm finally gonna do it. After injuring my foot two years ago, though, I stopped opening their emails ....until a few weeks ago. The promotions this year are the best they've ever offered and I'm 97% mentally ready, but am still looking for excuses to chicken out. Anyone ever heli-ski, or anyone familiar with Canadian Mountain Holidays in particular by any chance? If so, I would love some insight, any insight.....!
Old 9 January 2012, 02:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwemleyjm View Post
Check Alyeska now My parents live in Eagle River and my mom just txted me a pictue yesterday of her putting a tape measure in their driveway and the recent snow fall was at 27"
I hate you.

I'm starting to hear quite a bit of "Juneuary" chatter. BC dot com is running a "pray for snow" sale. Lonely Planet tweets are "where is the snow- help us find it!" and resorts in California may be forced to shut down....and I 'm the dumbass who pretty much missed last years epic La Nina pow-fest because I was too busy inhaling burnt tire smoke in a third world dump.

The only, and I mean only, upside to my predicament is that I'm going to be in BC and I can still drive to Rogers Pass, Revy and Golden within less than a few hours and shred there. But I'm beginning to think I'll have to break out my rock-skis for the local mountain I got my season pass too...

Last edited by MixedLoad; 9 January 2012 at 02:27.
Old 9 January 2012, 02:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwemleyjm View Post
Alyeska just got 47" of fresh pow on Monday. Mt was closed though due to an avalanche taking out a sub-station and knocking out all of the power to Girdwood. I live at Alyeska. North Face and Christmas Chute all day.
I miss that place!! The patrol there was great crew to work with!

Winston Churchill
Old 9 January 2012, 03:00
BTDT

I got new ski boots for Christmas.

FML.
Old 19 January 2012, 02:48
Violent Social Worker

Just went skiing for the first time in years, man I forgot how great it was. I've only been once in like 20 years, and that was quite a while ago on a crappy little mountain. This place was quite a bit better, but still not that great. The runs were too short.

I was a little shaky at first, but it came right back. I forgot exactly how awesome it was to go hauling ass down the mountain weaving around slower skiers. Safely, that is. Frustratingly, the only black diamond I went down was also the trail with the most little kids on it, stopped everywhere.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 January 2012, 04:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Just went skiing for the first time in years, man I forgot how great it was. I've only been once in like 20 years, and that was quite a while ago on a crappy little mountain. This place was quite a bit better, but still not that great. The runs were too short.

I was a little shaky at first, but it came right back. I forgot exactly how awesome it was to go hauling ass down the mountain weaving around slower skiers. Safely, that is. Frustratingly, the only black diamond I went down was also the trail with the most little kids on it, stopped everywhere.
Welcome back to the fold...
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 19 January 2012, 04:20
Violent Social Worker

I can't wait to go again, we've got at least three more trips planned.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 19 January 2012, 10:30
Been There Done That

Good deal, Mass. It's really like riding a bike. Once you're good it's just getting back on it after a while and realizing that nothing's seriously changed. Go out for a good two or three weeks this winter and you'll probably be skiing better than you ever have before.

I can't wait to get to BC. Another 48 hours and I'll be on the backside of the biggest snow dump this season. Then down to Jackson and shredding there for a little bit.

Also, if you're out and about....post some pics. This thread can use it!

Old 19 January 2012, 21:30
Newbie shooter

Just booked tickets out to Vail for end of Jan. Hope CO gets some pow.
Old 19 January 2012, 21:34
Violent Social Worker

Rub it in dick!

ML, I'm going too fast to post pics, it's just a streak of trees and startled faces lol..

Old 20 January 2012, 04:03
BTDT

Thumbs up

I've spent about $350 so far this week on a shitload of ski and snowboard gear through Craigslist. The retail value is more than $3K. I fucking love Craigslist!
Old 20 January 2012, 04:08
Violent Social Worker

I've been trying to find skis on Craigslist for several months, but haven't pulled the trigger.

I can't decide if the new shaped skis are noticeably more maneuverable or not.

Our new posting rules