Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 7 February 2012, 13:49
Fitness Mod

Over two feet of snow at my house this past weekend. More snow coming down today.
I may have to dust off the kid's boards so we can get after it this weekend.
Old 7 February 2012, 16:53
Newbie shooter

Music was chosen by the people I was staying with.

Actually there is another copy floating around with some special music. Some girl told me she didn't want to listen to profane rap. I made a special version just for her.

Vail was a ton of fun =)

We should still hit gunstock before the season is over.

- Local
Old 7 February 2012, 18:57
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
You're absolutely right but I would be failing if I did. I promise to post some pow-shots in the next few days.

I have to say this...thank you Jackson. You came through hard. Good times, good dumps the first night. Wish we could've hit Corbet's Couloir but you were a little hard and icy for us. We'll be back in April to get some of your goodness.

Seriously...if you haven't hit JH hard you've missed out. I hit it for a quick afternoon run in April '07 and thought I got a feel...fuck no.

Nothing prepares you for the e-p-i-c runs you'll find on a patrolled terrain resort. Patrollers - you fucking rock and your attitude is dope. Skiiers and boarders - throwing down and leading the charge.

I was nothing short of impressed, maybe even slightly in love with this place.

The terrain, vibe, people...made me wanna spend a lot longer than this last four days here. Anyone looking for a PT roomie who'll take care of your pad?
Yeah the snow really came through big time for Jackson - glad you caught it. I was there from 20 Dec - 3 Jan. Got 10 inches on New Years Eve morning (saturday). We went in to JHMR and dealt with massive crowds at the lifts. Still some rocks exposed, and a lot of terrain that needed about 5 more feet of snow to soften it out a little.

The storm they got a couple weeks ago made everything good.

I'm planning on retiring to the Jackson area, just need to hit the Powerball lottery tomorrow...
Old 7 February 2012, 21:19
Newbie shooter

Here is my special version of our trailer, Dedicated to the manliness and musical tastes o MassGrunt :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqcN0puds3s

=)

- Local
Old 27 July 2012, 08:45
Russian Tycoon

I can across this article in Outside and wanted to share with you guys, in case someone wants to take a budget ski trip to Utah.

A Utah Resort Offers Unlimited, Free Skiing to Californian Residents.

I haven't been to this resort, so can't provide any personal insight.
Old 20 August 2012, 13:22
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
Yeah the snow really came through big time for Jackson - glad you caught it. I was there from 20 Dec - 3 Jan. Got 10 inches on New Years Eve morning (saturday). We went in to JHMR and dealt with massive crowds at the lifts. Still some rocks exposed, and a lot of terrain that needed about 5 more feet of snow to soften it out a little.

The storm they got a couple weeks ago made everything good.

I'm planning on retiring to the Jackson area, just need to hit the Powerball lottery tomorrow...
Jackson Rocks! I've been keeping any eye on airfare and so far it just sucks all the way around. JHMR and Whistler are my two favorite places in the world. Too bad it costs a kidney to get to either one of them these days.
Old 20 August 2012, 18:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
...bear trap bindings and wooden skis....
Damn! That's what I learnt to ski on! If you can handle yourself on those with a full load, you can ski with just about anything.

XC only in my case.
Old 20 August 2012, 18:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Jackson Rocks! I've been keeping any eye on airfare and so far it just sucks all the way around. JHMR and Whistler are my two favorite places in the world. Too bad it costs a kidney to get to either one of them these days.
Screw Whistler. Hit Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Red Mountain etc in BC before you go to that tourist trap!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 August 2012, 19:35
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Joe, what general area do you live in again? Way back when I was stationed out west I found a number of great places that were cheaper than the well known resorts. The people were always more down to earth as well. The only extra requirement was a really good vehicle, though.
Old 20 August 2012, 20:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
...Revelstoke...
Lived there a short while when I was very young. Definitely a "must-see" venue. Quite a number of places in eastern BC which even many Canadians seldom visit. I strongly endorse this recommendation!
Old 21 August 2012, 18:54
On the Extract Bird

Joe, I can't edit, but meant to ask what are some of your other favorite areas to ski.
Old 20 October 2012, 21:30
Been There Done That

It's that time again...the mountains are getting their first dustings, resorts are starting to open up, people are putting their summer toys away.

So let me fire up some stoke:

TGR - The Dream Factory

MSP - The Superheroes of Stoke

This year's personal hit list:

Silverton, Jackson, Grand Targhee, Alta, Rogers Pass, Revy

What are everyone else's plans?

Old 21 October 2012, 00:08
Violent Social Worker

We just saw Superheros of Stoke in a little theater. Michelle Something and another guy were there. It was pretty cool, my girlfriend is way into that stuff. You might have some refugees from small mountain land this winter.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 October 2012, 01:02
Been There Done That

Michelle Parker?

I'm thinking if we can't swing it at my place we'll just get a few more folks together and VRBO a nice pad somewhere. Did that in JH in January and it was awesome and quite a bit cheaper/convenient than doing a hotel. Think it came out to about $300/pp for four nights in a 4BR house with badass hot-tub and views. We had seven people total.

Old 21 October 2012, 01:23
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad
I'm thinking if we can't swing it at my place we'll just get a few more folks together and VRBO a nice pad somewhere....
I want to take the family skiing this season -- something like this would be too cool. Wyoming might be a bit far, though -- I think we're likely to have to stay on the East side of the Rockies -- maybe NM or CO. I really wanted to go last year, but we opted out for something else. This year I hope I stick to the plan. Having someone else to hang with might make for more fun, too....
Old 21 October 2012, 01:24
Been There Done That

CO or NM both work. If we were to do this as a family trip that's perfectly cool with me too. I'm game.

Old 21 October 2012, 01:58
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad
CO or NM both work. If we were to do this as a family trip that's perfectly cool with me too. I'm game.
Hmmm, we should talk....
Old 21 October 2012, 07:52
Violent Social Worker

Yup, Michelle Parker. My girlfriend has skied all over out west, it looks so cool. I'm down to start planning a trip, we'd be just fine with a family friendly excursion too.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 January 2013, 00:51
Confirmed User

Pretty good video about the folks who got caught over in the pass.

http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN
Old 30 January 2013, 06:27
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideTheB View Post
Joe, what general area do you live in again? Way back when I was stationed out west I found a number of great places that were cheaper than the well known resorts. The people were always more down to earth as well. The only extra requirement was a really good vehicle, though.
I live in Knoxville now but usually go out West. I did most of the Washington State resorts when I was at Lewis. I would say pound for pound, Grand Targhee, Wyoming is the best. DEEP Pow, and not a lift line anywhere. It's the closest you will come to having your own little resort.

Our new posting rules