Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 April 2012, 18:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Sounds like a winner to me. How much does it run?
Not entirely sure. I had it at a restaurant so it was about $5 / pop. But I know the owner and he said I could carry out packs at cost, which would only be about $8 / six I believe. It's a craft beer so I'm not sure what it retails for, but probably comparable to most craft beers...
Old 29 April 2012, 19:12
Been There Done That

Baker's is my favorite to drink on the rocks. Because it is so expensive, I usually stick to Knob Creek.

When drinking Mint Juleps, which has got to be my favorite cocktail, it pays to use high-test. Knob Creek single barrel Reserve at 120 Proof does the trick nicely. If not, then I go for Four Roses or Bullit. Don't use shitty bourbon like Old Grandad's, or Jim Beam in Juleps- you'll sell yourself short.
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 29 April 2012, 21:15
Bland user

Tonight.. Drinking Elijah Craig with Jamaican Ginger Beer out on the front porch. Sunset and life is good.
Old 29 April 2012, 22:54
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe723 View Post
Tonight.. Drinking Elijah Craig with Jamaican Ginger Beer out on the front porch. Sunset and life is good.
All you need now is a Cohiba Extra Vigoroso!
"You will rarely find a dedicated quail shot who is not a pretty nice guy. He has to be a nice guy, because he is performing for the benefit of his dogs, himself, and his companions, and all are expert in the detection of fraudulent behavior in the field."
Robert Ruark
Old 15 June 2012, 11:09
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

If you can find it (I had to order it), highly recommend Brekenridge Bourbon! It's young bourbon but damn is it smooth. Must be the water up there.

http://www.breckenridgedistillery.com/
Old 15 June 2012, 12:14
In From The East

I have to hi-jack my own thread...I've almost turned completely away from bourbon to scotch...The Ardbeg and Laphroig bug has bitten me!!! The smokiness and peaty-ness is right on.....
"You will rarely find a dedicated quail shot who is not a pretty nice guy. He has to be a nice guy, because he is performing for the benefit of his dogs, himself, and his companions, and all are expert in the detection of fraudulent behavior in the field."
Robert Ruark
Old 15 June 2012, 12:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
If you can find it (I had to order it), highly recommend Brekenridge Bourbon! It's young bourbon but damn is it smooth. Must be the water up there.

http://www.breckenridgedistillery.com/
I wonder how they can call that Bourbon if it wasn't distilled in KY? Not being a smart ass, serious question.
Old 15 June 2012, 13:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
I wonder how they can call that Bourbon if it wasn't distilled in KY? Not being a smart ass, serious question.

Bourbon doesn't have to be distilled in Ky, that's a common misconception. You can't call bourbon from another state Tennessee Bourbon or Mississippi Bourbon, only Kentucky bourbon though.

To be considered bourbon a liquor has to have a mashbill made of at least 51% corn, aged in unused, charred oak barrels, and a couple of requirements dealing with the strength of the bourbon. It can be made anywhere.
Old 15 June 2012, 13:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
When drinking Mint Juleps, which has got to be my favorite cocktail,
I am a fan of the Julep as well, and I know it's not a Bourbon/Whiskey base but for another summer mint cocktail the Moscow Mule is not to be discounted, but only when served in a copper mug.
Old 15 June 2012, 14:44
Confirmed User

Turkey and 1772, bulliet and Jack D.....
Old 15 June 2012, 15:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
Bourbon doesn't have to be distilled in Ky, that's a common misconception. You can't call bourbon from another state Tennessee Bourbon or Mississippi Bourbon, only Kentucky bourbon though.

To be considered bourbon a liquor has to have a mashbill made of at least 51% corn, aged in unused, charred oak barrels, and a couple of requirements dealing with the strength of the bourbon. It can be made anywhere.
What he said, plus has to aged at least 4 yrs in charred oak. Bourbon was first made in VA in I beleive.
Old 15 June 2012, 16:44
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by John6719 View Post
My new favorite, Jim beam devils cut.
I heard an interview with one of the grandson's of the founder (or maybe it was a great grandson) who still works for the distillery.

He explained where the name Devil's Cut comes from, which is the whiskey that is absorbed into the barrel during the aging process.

He also explained that during that time, a certain amount of the liquor evaporates, and they call that unseen amount the Angel's Share. I'm betting the Devil's cut is pretty smoky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

One a recent stop in Phnom Penh I was stunned at how cheap spirits are....like $6-7 for a bottle of name brand western spirits, $15-20 for some pretty good stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if those bottles weren't part of some inventory that fell off the back of a truck somewhere.

Even duty free, those prices are pretty cheap. I wonder if somebody over there isn't running their own distillery and making some pretty decent knockoffs.
Old 15 June 2012, 16:56
I aim to misbehave

It ain't bourbon, but I'm still stuck on MacAllan single malt. For Irish whiskey, I prefer feckin. Other than that, someone on this board was kind enough to recommend Stranahan's a while back, and I've decided it's pretty damned good. I'm a fan.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 June 2012, 18:58
Confirmed User

It's 1792....not 1772..
Old 16 June 2012, 23:38
Been There Done That

I drove limo part-time for 4 years and didn't have to buy booze as there was plenty left in the trunk. I would surreptitiously hide the booze towards the end of the shift if they were being assholes! I had a full bottle of Tennessee Honey left one night and it tasted really good, and I haven't had the hard stuff in years! Turned my Pa on to it, he likes a little nip once in awhile!
Old 16 June 2012, 23:45
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I heard an interview with one of the grandson's of the founder (or maybe it was a great grandson) who still works for the distillery.

He explained where the name Devil's Cut comes from, which is the whiskey that is absorbed into the barrel during the aging process.

He also explained that during that time, a certain amount of the liquor evaporates, and they call that unseen amount the Angel's Share. I'm betting the Devil's cut is pretty smoky.
Thanks, that's pretty interesting and will make a great story next week during out "regional meeting" drinking Devil's cut. It's flavor is a lot more like something you'd expect out of a bottle of Jack than a bottle of Jim, which I guess I would have to agree that it would be more "smoky".

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 17 June 2012, 16:09
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post

Yep, in addition:

On May 4, 1964 bourbon whiskey was recognized under US statutory law as a distinct product that could only be produced following certain standards. Title 27 (Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms) of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 5.22 outlines the standards of identity. The five criteria are:

-Made from a fermented mash with a minimum of 51% and a maximum of 79% corn
-Distilled at less than 80% alcohol/volume (160 proof)
-Stored in a new, charred, white oak barrel at a maximum of 62.5% alcohol/volume (125 proof) for at least 2 years
-The original color and flavor of the whiskey can not be filtered or altered in any way
-Must be produced and stored (for at least one year of the aging) in Kentucky to be called Kentucky Bourbon
-Also, the section clearly states "that the word 'bourbon' shall not be used to describe any whiskey or whiskey based distilled spirit not produced in the United States". These criteria provide the important guidelines for production, but in practicality, bourbon producers use a 70% corn mash, and the final bottling is somewhere between 40-50% alcohol/volume (80 to 100 proof).
Old 18 June 2012, 00:54
On the Extract Bird

Xdeth- Thanks for bringing up Brekenridge Bourbon. Been awhile since I have had it and had forgotten about it. Hopefully I can find some here in atl. tomorrow. You are right it is very smooth.
Old 18 June 2012, 15:10
One jump chump

This thread is going to put a hurting on the wallet... Picked up some Blanton's today. Very good recommendation.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 18 June 2012, 15:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F5V View Post
This thread is going to put a hurting on the wallet... Picked up some Blanton's today. Very good recommendation.
Isn't it though? Also the stoppers have different horses so you'll want to collect all of them. Maybe we can start a Blanton's club and compare cask numbers, etc.

On a different note I finally broke into my bottle of Absinthe on Saturday. To hell with bourbon!

Our new posting rules