Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 June 2012, 15:20
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

I have to be honest, I happen to believe personally that Jeremiah Weed is one of the best bourbons out there. Even if it is $12.99 a fifth.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 23 June 2012, 19:04
In From The East

Tried some of the Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old last night....it's like liquid silk...the down side it's around 250 a bottle....
If you can find it, get it!! Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pappy.jpg (10.9 KB, 285 views)
"You will rarely find a dedicated quail shot who is not a pretty nice guy. He has to be a nice guy, because he is performing for the benefit of his dogs, himself, and his companions, and all are expert in the detection of fraudulent behavior in the field."
Robert Ruark
Old 23 June 2012, 20:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie75 View Post
I have to be honest, I happen to believe personally that Jeremiah Weed is one of the best bourbons out there. Even if it is $12.99 a fifth.
I'm a scotch drinker, but recently tried Buffalo Trace, my first bourbon. Man, it's freaking good for $20. Is Weed better?
Old 24 June 2012, 21:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I still say Blanton's is the best Bourbon there is. It's just exquisite.
Thanks for the recommendation. Impulse buy when I was at Costco, best bourbon I've ever had. Now I need to buy 7 more bottles! Lol
Old 27 June 2012, 21:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
No mention of Basil Hayden's? For shame. It's a very sweet and smooth. Definitely my favorite...
Basil Hayden's rules! It is made by the same distillery group that manufactures Knob Creek and Maker's. I think that although all three are good Basil's is better than the other two. I strongly recommend giving Basil Hayden's a try...
Old 27 June 2012, 22:28
Confirmed User

Buffalo Trace White Dog at 125 proof.

That is some nice stuff...
Old 27 June 2012, 22:49
Bland user

Van Winkles is only sold twice a year in Kentucky. Any other time you pay dearly. I have my order in for the fall.
Old 11 July 2012, 15:33
The atomic zit

An uncorked bottle of Blanton's and fistful of Opus Opus x's...

Pop in tomorrow evening, if it suits you, we will be out back.
Old 11 July 2012, 22:40
The Gunner

Scanned this but didn't see... Am I the only one here who likes the "Thunder Chicken" (Wild Turkey 101)?
Old 11 July 2012, 22:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin 762 View Post
Scanned this but didn't see... Am I the only one here who likes the "Thunder Chicken" (Wild Turkey 101)?
There's probably a reason why you didn't see it.

I had some Town Branch last week and it wasn't bad. It was a bit oaky for my tastes but this was their first batch and I think the taste should mellow out in the coming years. It's made by Alltech, the previously mentioned maker of Ky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

One of my other favorites is Four Roses Small Batch. It's much better than the regular with a taste that's less spicy than the Single Barrel. On a related note, if you're ever near the distillery I'd recommend the tour, it's a really fun way to spend a few hours.
Old 11 July 2012, 23:23
Been There Done That

From what I've gathered, Van Winkle Buffalo Trace running out was what caused the shortage as they stopped distilling it there. If in fact the new batches are selling for such $$ it's because they are capitalizing on this trend. I'm not exactly up on all the going on because I think there are several brands as good for a lot less. Jefferson's Reserve for instance.
Old 12 July 2012, 00:05
Amateur Barbarian

I too like Turkey 101 and their Rye. Had a sample of some small batch whiskey made by Whistling Andy distillers in big fork, MT today. I think they have some real potential.
Old 14 July 2012, 19:22
As Above So Below

Turkey 101

I have stroked the feathers, but not for a long time. Used to love it though!
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 15 July 2012, 01:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
One of my other favorites is Four Roses Small Batch. It's much better than the regular with a taste that's less spicy than the Single Barrel.
Less spicy than the single barrel? Four Roses has definitely become one my favorites over the last few years. But comparing the single and small batch at the bourbon ball side by side (repeatedly just for good measure )I always thought the single was much smoother but didn't notice the spice being much different.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 15 July 2012, 21:00
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

My dad bought me a bottle of the Parker's Heritage Bourbon. It was damn good. Drank it in two nights. Then I found out it was $80 bucks a fifth. I felt bad afterwards.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 16 July 2012, 03:54
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
Drank it in two nights. Then I found out it was $80 bucks a fifth. I felt bad afterwards.
By bad you mean hung over, right?

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 16 July 2012, 09:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
Less spicy than the single barrel? Four Roses has definitely become one my favorites over the last few years. But comparing the single and small batch at the bourbon ball side by side (repeatedly just for good measure )I always thought the single was much smoother but didn't notice the spice being much different.

That was what I thought when I tried them at the distillery but then again my palate isn't very refined, I might have been wrong about it. I've only had them side by side the once so it's really just my opinion.
Old 16 July 2012, 11:50
Confirmed User

Now I'm going to have to re-sample until I'm sure

I just got the notice in the mail that my Makers Mark ambassador barrel is finally ready and I can go hand dip my 2 bottles after Oct 1st. May have to make the grand rounds of all them in October again.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 19 July 2012, 22:09
On the Extract Bird

Well I am about 2 minutes from opening my bottle of Brekenridge Bourbon!!!!!!!!! It has been on order at my local liq.store for over three weeks cost me $43. Gotta go no more posts tonight!!!
Old 20 July 2012, 03:53

Highland Park 12 year is pretty good. I have a 50ml of the 18 year that I'm saving for when that bottle is gone :)

McCallan is excellent as well, I think its on par with stuff like Johnnie Walker Blue, honestly. And much cheaper :)

Our new posting rules