Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 August 2012, 22:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by A191 View Post
Gonna have to try to find a .410 shotgun for the girls.....they're tough to find.

In Texas? You're kidding....right? Academy sports stores always carry .410's.
Old 27 August 2012, 22:22
Been There Done That

I'm going to polish up my 2lb sledge and head down to Walken1's neck of the woods with some feed corn in hand. The deer there have no fear of humans.

Oh Baaaambi.................
Old 27 August 2012, 22:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
I'm going to polish up my 2lb sledge and head down to Walken1's neck of the woods with some feed corn in hand. The deer there have no fear of humans.

Oh Baaaambi.................
hahaha I don't have an entire processing shop in my garage for nothing
"You see, violence merely creates more violence. It's a cycle that never ends... You insult me, I shoot you, you drop dead, someone else insults me... And it just keeps repeating over and over again. And for what?"
Old 27 August 2012, 22:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
In Texas? You're kidding....right? Academy sports stores always carry .410's.
Avoid Rossi's. They're an attractive, very affordable, versatile gun for beginners, but fuck...the shotguns are uncomfortable to shoot.
I've shot plent of heavy caliber rifles and heavy loads on shotguns and that little Rossi (in 20ga) is pretty rough...especially on a new/young shooter.
"You see, violence merely creates more violence. It's a cycle that never ends... You insult me, I shoot you, you drop dead, someone else insults me... And it just keeps repeating over and over again. And for what?"
Old 27 August 2012, 22:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken1 View Post
Avoid Rossi's. They're an attractive, very affordable, versatile gun for beginners, but fuck...the shotguns are uncomfortable to shoot.
I've shot plent of heavy caliber rifles and heavy loads on shotguns and that little Rossi (in 20ga) is pretty rough...especially on a new/young shooter.
The Mrs has a Harrington and Richardson single shot .410. It shoots real nice for a starter gun, and she's learned a lot about gun safety and shooting with it. Now, she has her sights on a "Circuit Judge".
Old 27 August 2012, 22:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
hahaha I don't have an entire processing shop in my garage for nothing
I hear ya'!
Old 31 August 2012, 23:10
Confirmed User

Was out Wednesday nite saw lot of slick heads no bucks yet
Have heard of few elk being taken in eastern Oregon
Old 1 September 2012, 02:01
Confirmed User

Saw a nice six point bull on the way into work yesterday. Already with a cow too.
Old 1 September 2012, 20:14
Confirmed User

This is a good reminder to not leave your weapons in your vehicle unattended. Theiving assholes know it's hunting season too. And, of course, if you have a CHL...keep your weapon on you.

I wish these "pillars of society" would have been "stopped"! Good news; no mention of any charges!

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...eH1AjZS6w.cspx
Old 2 September 2012, 21:12
Confirmed User

Bulls aren't cow'd over here (that I know of) but last year at this time
they were , weather ain't helping much suppose to be mid 80's all week
Going to head for final week this year
Old 3 September 2012, 20:03
Authorized Personnel

Shot a small doe this morning on Vandenberg. First mule deer for me. The daughter said it was to far away for her to shoot. I knew it was a poke, 159 meters verified by gps with the 11-87 and 3" Remington copper solid slugs. I was holding on the top of her back, blew the heart in two.

As we left base there was a sow and 8+ 40lb piglets in a field on Rt 1. Almost went to the ranch house and asked for permission to shoot one.

Lots of quail and rabbits up there this year. They must have had some rain at the right times.
Old 6 September 2012, 20:00
Confirmed User

Buddy of mine shot a fn tank Sunday, I will post a picture when I learn how, 7x6 with the body of a horse
Old 6 September 2012, 22:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Huh, I'm surprised to read that. I just recently bought a Rossi Circuit Judge, .410/.45LC as a play gun and I love shooting it. Not a "great" gun but a lot of fun, and I was planning on trying it out for small game and birds this season.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Old 6 September 2012, 22:35
Not bright, but energetic

2000 acre island. 45 dear stands. 18 hunters. Mixture of plowed fields, old growth woods, huge pecan orchard. Model 700 sighted in. Piles of corn in my warehouse and in the woods. License and tags in hand. Ready to go. But...

...still too fucking hot here in the deep south. Will be ready to go in late October.
Old 6 September 2012, 23:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyr View Post
Buddy of mine shot a fn tank Sunday, I will post a picture when I learn how, 7x6 with the body of a horse
You guys have Roosevelt over there don't you?
Old 7 September 2012, 13:58
Confirmed User

Coast range is roseys east of the cascades is rockys, the one shot was a rocky but the body is Roosevelt sized.Going to head up sat towards mt hood lookin for some bench legs
Old 7 September 2012, 17:08
Been There Done That

Beautiful crisp cool day here, leaves have started to change, some have fallen. Perfect day to wander thru my woods, kicking the leaves, letting the dog run around, and trying to stir up a few grouse while checking for early deer sign.

Took the big old Ford tractor out last weekend with the brush hog and gave all the lanes a final mowing for the fall. After finishing chores, Saturdays will be spent walking the land with the dog and carrying the shotgun. Comes November, the deer stands will be checked and time spent watching the usual suspects.
Old 7 September 2012, 21:48
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
2000 acre island. 45 dear stands. 18 hunters. Mixture of plowed fields, old growth woods, huge pecan orchard. Model 700 sighted in. Piles of corn in my warehouse and in the woods. License and tags in hand. Ready to go. But...
Will you adopt me?
Old 7 September 2012, 21:52
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Shot a small doe this morning on Vandenberg. First mule deer for me. The daughter said it was to far away for her to shoot. I knew it was a poke, 159 meters verified by gps with the 11-87 and 3" Remington copper solid slugs. I was holding on the top of her back, blew the heart in two.

As we left base there was a sow and 8+ 40lb piglets in a field on Rt 1. Almost went to the ranch house and asked for permission to shoot one.

Lots of quail and rabbits up there this year. They must have had some rain at the right times.
Congrats. You can't do any of that, save for perhaps an occasional bunny, in your native neck of the woods. Glad to see someone is making the most of their time in the stumps.
Old 8 September 2012, 14:15
Confirmed User

I only bowhunt for deer so other than requesting days off, I've only done my normal 3D shooting. We're fortunate to have exotics on the lease so a longer range rifle shot might not be out of the question on a big Axis or Black buck antelope. We also have a few hogs running around tearing up things.

Our new posting rules