Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 September 2012, 14:32
Livin' On Blues Power

Went dove hunting in Cibola AZ and ran into this big freaking scorpion. Biggest I can recall in my travels in the US. That piece of iron it's on was about 8 inches wide so the scorpion was pushing 7 inches. The only scorpion this big in AZ is the Big Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). The other two, The Striped Tail scorpion and Bark Scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) only get to about 3 inches. Sting is only as bad as a bee sting they claim, and most of us were in flip flops on the porch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrurus_arizonensis

Old 9 September 2012, 03:58
CEO, Peanut Gallery

Started getting ready about a month ago by whacking some clay pigeons and then whacking rocks. Truck ready, camper ready. Third season for elk in south central Colorado, first weekend in November. Same unit and darn near same camp site since 68. Moisture outlook so far is good.

Now, if we can just get some cooler weather.
Old 9 September 2012, 11:09
Been There Done That

Got back from archery elk yesterday. Rut hasn't started yet in the area but might head out again this week.
Old 10 September 2012, 19:47
Confirmed User

Where you at Senior D ? My group is heading out Friday night for Oregon coast range,friend was out there Saturday and got a rag horn rippen,hopefully the weather will break and get cooler 85 ain't helpin
Old 10 September 2012, 21:40
Confirmed User

The cold weather we have been having has them screaming pretty good here.
Old 11 September 2012, 00:22
Confirmed User

Nothing like the sound of an bull elk especially when he's close
Old 11 September 2012, 00:39
Been There Done That

Just got back from 9 days elk-hunting in WY. I missed a shot on a nice bull Tuesday a.m. (arrow deflected off something in pretty thick timber). Bummer.

Friday night had two bulls coming in to a Hoochie-Mama. One got my wind at about 60m, reversed direction, and mowed down half the forest un-assing the AO.

Came back empty-handed, but had a good time. Pretty warm up here, even at over 10,000 feet. Bulls not turned on yet, and with the full moon I think they were up most of the night and bedded most of the day. They only started visiting the wallows on Friday after a frost.

I love interacting with those big beautiful, athletic, animals. I love it even more when they're so horny that they're stupid... and they're not there yet.

Lucky me, I've gotta work the rest of the month, so this season's over for me.

Best of luck to the rest of you.
Old 11 September 2012, 10:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyr View Post
Where you at Senior D ? My group is heading out Friday night for Oregon coast range,friend was out there Saturday and got a rag horn rippen,hopefully the weather will break and get cooler 85 ain't helpin
I was up by Mt Rainier. It hasnt rained up here in about 50 days and because it was rather warm, we headed up high. All we saw was bear and coug scat. However, because of the lack of water we ended up finding sign down low, but by that time it was too late. I do know that out by coast they're calling them in.
Old 11 September 2012, 10:41
Formerly SIGINTmerc

Starting my season with an alligator hunt in the Atchafalaya Basin this Thursday and Friday. Hoping to get a shot with the bow, but I'm bringing some firepower as a back up.
Old 11 September 2012, 10:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
Your Post
My wife and I are moving back to Indiana, where there are no elk (obviously). I like bowhunting elk so much that I am thinking of buying property in CO or WY where I can fly out every year and have at it. It really is a much different experience than hunting deer.
Old 11 September 2012, 22:04
Confirmed User

Two more days
Old 12 September 2012, 20:59
Confirmed User

Picked up couple packs of shuttle t's 125 gr new sleazy cow call by berry,
clothes are all de-scented, fresh batts in the lights and range finder, mtn bike all tuned up one more day it's time
Old 13 September 2012, 00:05
Been There Done That

Damn, only to be hunting elk right now. I worked for two outfitters in the troublesome basin in Co. off and on for 20 yrs. The beetle kill has turned the woods into widow makers! Any of you hunting the beetle kill forests be careful! I start launching arrows at turkey and deer Sat. am, here in the La Crosse area. You all have a good hunt, wherever you choose to pitch your tent!
Old 19 September 2012, 12:38
Confirmed User

Just got back from saddle mtn unit,got into elk everyday,couldn't close the gap tho,the weather was hot,the elk were quiet and nonresponsive to any calls,end result no shots and they closed woods down Tuesday for fire hazard
Old 19 September 2012, 15:34
Confirmed User

I just dropped $1000 at Cabelas. New ladder stand, new ground blind, new generator for the camper and some other new impulse buy things. Just counting the days .
Old 19 September 2012, 16:07
****, Got the T-shirt

Went to the farm supply on lunch break, picked up four mineral blocks to replace the ones which have melted away, will put them out in my woods tonite. Bow season started last WE, will be out this WE on the stands.
First ever wolf permits were issued this week by lottery system. I didn't get one, but my friend up the road got his. Good for five months, shoot or trap.
Old 19 September 2012, 16:33
Confirmed User

Good job on the wolves, killem all
Old 19 September 2012, 23:14
Confirmed User

http://www.kbzk.com/news/elk-hunter-...-grizzly-bear/

I'm glad I don't have to worry about these guys.
Old 19 September 2012, 23:48
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
http://www.kbzk.com/news/elk-hunter-...-grizzly-bear/

I'm glad I don't have to worry about these guys.
That stays on my don't ever do that shit, list; get between a sow and her cubs... They are lucky to be alive.
Old 20 September 2012, 00:40
Been There Done That

I'm bowhunting turkey and deer . The other night I had turkeys roost all around me , I could not get a clear shot anywhere. I got into some thickets at dark the next morning to ambush turkeys. Some deer are coming down this trail I cut,it's still dark,they wind me and haul ass right under the roosting turkeys, turkeys fly away with the deer! Stand to, right now is way cool with all the bird life; owls,turkeys,hawks,and a whole passel of songbirds starting to head south....

Our new posting rules