Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 12 January 2013, 21:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolin_rain View Post
I'm submitting my application.
Good luck! Make sure you come in strong and do your best. Strong maintainers are always needed and I'd gladly work with a strong MTP gender doesn't matter for that job. As a -64 pilot hopefully you won't get shuffled off to the -47 community...

Remember, the grass is not always greener and your preconceived notions and perceptions never really become reality.
Old 12 January 2013, 22:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
Good luck! Make sure you come in strong and do your best. Strong maintainers are always needed and I'd gladly work with a strong MTP gender doesn't matter for that job. As a -64 pilot hopefully you won't get shuffled off to the -47 community...

Remember, the grass is not always greener and your preconceived notions and perceptions never really become reality.
Thank you. I truly appreciate the advice, and it's certainly a lesson I learned when I left flight school.

I realize that (in the SLIM chance my application is even considered) there will be considerable scrutiny placed upon me (or any other female pilot). It's ridiculous to claim that females can match the physical ability of males. All I can promise is that I will show up ready to kick as much ass as my old lady self can muster... with a positive attitude and a desire to contribute to the mission.
Old 12 January 2013, 22:19
Preparing to defend

For some odd reason, I thought there was already a fem test pilot at Regt.. Out of that loop for a while.
Old 12 January 2013, 22:32
Been There Done That

Nope.

There was a female SIMO once but she wasn't a real pilot. Being an XP in a staff job doesn't quite make the cut.
Old 12 January 2013, 22:47
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up AMEN & SPOT ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed160th View Post
Nofear-There are basic (minimum) requirements for any job, but SOF requires above and beyond what is normal. You do what needs to be done.

We don't do minimums (mens standards), neither do the men we support.
Doing the "minimums" is not conducive and can be detrimental in a SOF unit.

Hell! Doing the minimums (even in your general everyday life) is not fair for those that seek to excel.
Stay safe.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 13 January 2013, 05:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
...As a -64 pilot hopefully you won't get shuffled off to the -47 community....
Easy now. You and I both know she'll wonder why she ever flew anything else if she does end up there.

Quote:
Nope.

There was a female SIMO once but she wasn't a real pilot. Being an XP in a staff job doesn't quite make the cut.
I remember the gnashing of teeth when she was brought on board. I also can't remember her adding any value during her tenure at SIMO.
Old 13 January 2013, 08:49
Been There Done That

The word on the street is that the first female crew members are in EGP at this time.
Old 13 January 2013, 17:49
Been There Done That

The word is untrue as of Friday.
Old 15 January 2013, 10:23
Paving the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
I think that this has been discussed before, but men can get long-term injuries / sickness as well. The units seem to survive.

"But all the women will get pregnant" is a chicken-little argument.

Plus, it's not a logical reason to keep them out of a particular role.

The one and only aspect that matters is, can they do the job, meeting the required standards of that job?
I disagree with it being a chicken little arguement. I had a mixed gender unit, I and my NCOs not only need someone that can hold the standard now. But they need to be able to reliabley hold the standard in the future. Otherwise, I can't plan well and the NCOs risk losing a lot of training they invested. The pregnancy issue isn't traded away by the fact we lose men to injuries and sickness, we lose the woman to that too. You can choose to be pregnant and thus you can choose to not deploy, or choose to end your deployment early. I am not saying "all" or even "most" of woman will choose to do so but some will, as happened in my unit. When the roles are specialized the risk of deminishing the units operational ability are great. (in my case I lost 2 of my 4 linguists and thus 50% of my collection time/area for 3 months) And I was in a straight line unit. A special operations unit has even longer pipelines and fail rates and it would take much more time to backfill someone.

I think there is a real argument to be had here, but the military will work it out "experimentally" with some units. I just think they should start with less specialized personell.
Old 15 January 2013, 16:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm submitting my application.

(Don't worry, the baby factory is out of commission)

I've said it here before, I have no desire to break any glass ceilings. But if the door is open...

(I can only guess that the conversation sounded the same when they opened the door to the Apache community to us vaginal types.)

My measly 2 cents: I've been extremely disappointed in my community as a whole. There are a few amazing individuals that stand out, but there are quite a few whiny babies to my left and right. When the mission is boring, when we're jumping into our 5th bird for the night with an hour left in our window, when weather is legal but looks shitty... these guys give the fuck up.

As a maintenance test pilot, my days are long, my flight time comes .5 at a time, the work is thankless, and I love it. If the opportunity is there to go surround myself with other pilots who still love the mission, and who love supporting the boots on the ground and shooting the bad guy in the face, then I'm going to at least attempt to join them.

If I don't make the cut, and the powers that be don't think I'd be value-added to the team, then I will go back to doing what I do now with the same motivation and pride as always.

Emily
I have flown on many birds crewed by females, all of them were professionals and I am sure you are as well. Have also flown on some TF birds, most of the TF crews were stellar, but not all of them. There were some duds, and they certainly got lost just like the non TF pilots. Best of luck to you.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:19
Been There Done That

Emily, come on over to 4BN at JBLM, I'll be the 47 ME, and I don't care who you are or what your gender, if you can do the same work and meet the same standards as everyone else you'll be welcomed with open arms, not a hug mind you but open arms)

Mike-
Old 29 January 2013, 12:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearmann4 View Post
Emily, come on over to 4BN at JBLM, I'll be the 47 ME, and I don't care who you are or what your gender, if you can do the same work and meet the same standards as everyone else you'll be welcomed with open arms, not a hug mind you but open arms)

Mike-
Back in the day it wasn't unusual for MTPs/MEs to join the unit with some or all of the normal line pilot requirements waived due to their being in rather short supply. Is that still the case?
Old 29 January 2013, 13:12
Been There Done That

That's not currently the case to my knowledge at least. However, we have waived the requirement to take up residence in one of the line companies for a few years and make FMQ as was my case.
Old 29 January 2013, 14:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearmann4 View Post
That's not currently the case to my knowledge at least. However, we have waived the requirement to take up residence in one of the line companies for a few years and make FMQ as was my case.
Yeah - the FMQ waiver is one of the ones I was thinking of. SERE and 9D5 waivers weren't unheard of, either.

But that was then, and this is now.
Old 29 January 2013, 14:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Yeah - the FMQ waiver is one of the ones I was thinking of. SERE and 9D5 waivers weren't unheard of, either.

But that was then, and this is now.
What? Those were the two funnest schools I went to. Who would want to waive those?
Old 29 January 2013, 18:45
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by commocarnes View Post
What? Those were the two funnest schools I went to. Who would want to waive those?
You are a sick, sick, man!
Old 29 January 2013, 18:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
You are a sick, sick, man!
Yup, you got me pegged! but really, I loved both.

I wonder how I could get into a "refresher" course for SERE?

What J, you didn't like the "people's pond"?
Old 29 January 2013, 19:29
Preparing to defend

I am kinda anti social that way.

As long as standards are maintained, more power to the women.

But, in 93 IIRC, the first woman entered the apache course. What a dog and pony show revolved around her at mother. Couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a PAO type.

I worry how fraternization ( we have lost a lot of good "O's" due to this), the thing about longterm disability (pregnancy comes to mind), and my gosh almighty what about the wives?

Course, I really don't care now as I have taken the retiree rules to heart!
Old 17 March 2014, 19:05
Confirmed User

I'm curious how opinions/thoughts have changed now that a couple chicks have been through assessment and made it to GP? (None of them me) If that's a not a valid discussion point for this thread I'll eff right back off to the other side of Grey
Old 17 March 2014, 19:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm curious how opinions/thoughts have changed now that a couple chicks have been through assessment and made it to GP? (None of them me) If that's a not a valid discussion point for this thread I'll eff right back off to the other side of Grey
Did you try out?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Our new posting rules