Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 17 March 2014, 20:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Did you try out?
My application is in. No yay or nay yet. I recently sat through a SOAR brief while I was at Rucker for AWOAC, the word was that a couple had made it to GP, no other info. The few guys we had in the class seemed ambivalent... but I tried not to harangue them with questions.

The paradigm shift is more interesting to me than my application approval though. I'm Afghan bound in a bit, regardless.
Old 17 March 2014, 21:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolin_rain View Post
My application is in. No yay or nay yet. I recently sat through a SOAR brief while I was at Rucker for AWOAC, the word was that a couple had made it to GP, no other info. The few guys we had in the class seemed ambivalent... but I tried not to harangue them with questions.

The paradigm shift is more interesting to me than my application approval though. I'm Afghan bound in a bit, regardless.
There is no "paradigm shift."

The standards are the standards and remain regardless of gender.

You come across as making gender an issue, for you. If that is the case, let it go and focus on your job performance solely - there are systems in place to evaluate your performance and aptitude for the organization. Getting hung up about how females are being received, how they're doing, etc. does not bode well for you. Just as it wouldn't for a male applicant asking the same questions.

Do your job, put in your packet, embrace your role in training and in the organization as the new pilot (if accepted), focus on progression. It is that simple.

Stop worrying about anything else, if you really want to be accepted.
Old 17 March 2014, 21:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Your post
Roger
Old 19 March 2014, 09:42
Been There Done That

in 24 years I have never been in a unit that had females in any capacity other than as support. We currently have a number of men aviators and crewmembers that could couldn't "drag another injured crew member out of a burning helicopter" which seems to be the current argument, nor are they good or well rounded pilots or NCOs, but we retain them for some reason. That said, bring on the females, I think the ones we get out the backend of OGP for the foreseeable future will be the cream of the crop and probably embarrass a good number of the guys.

The RCO said it best; "Be careful of mentioning enforcing physical or standards when talking about women Night Stalkers, if we do you might find a good number of Warrant Officers and NCOs seeking employment elsewhere..."
Old 19 March 2014, 18:43
BTDT

Does it make the Unit more combat effective? If it doesn't, it's just another social experiment. Experiment where it's not life or death say M vs. F MMA. So will men and women spar in GP, or wouldn't 't that be fair?

Don't understand why standards aren't enforced....recruiting/retention issues?

When there was only 150 of us in hanger 17. I remember dam near fist fights over who got to deploy....probably groans now.

Good luck Nightstalkers! Can't wait to celebrate the first trans gender 47 crew to get Air Medals.

At least there are still SMU's to be a cave man in.

Look for that PC label.

Blah. Just figured out I've been out, longer then I was in...15 years, two months.

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 20 March 2014, 00:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearmann4 View Post
in 24 years I have never been in a unit that had females in any capacity other than as support. We currently have a number of men aviators and crewmembers that could couldn't "drag another injured crew member out of a burning helicopter" which seems to be the current argument, nor are they good or well rounded pilots or NCOs, but we retain them for some reason. That said, bring on the females, I think the ones we get out the backend of OGP for the foreseeable future will be the cream of the crop and probably embarrass a good number of the guys.

The RCO said it best; "Be careful of mentioning enforcing physical or standards when talking about women Night Stalkers, if we do you might find a good number of Warrant Officers and NCOs seeking employment elsewhere..."
You said it better than I was ever able to. It's a crying shame that we let some people hang around as long as we did/ do. Everyone should remember what it means to actually be special if they want to be part of a SOF organization. Doing the basics better than everyone else extends to all of the basics, not just the flying ones.
Old 20 March 2014, 09:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
You said it better than I was ever able to. It's a crying shame that we let some people hang around as long as we did/ do. Everyone should remember what it means to actually be special if they want to be part of a SOF organization. Doing the basics better than everyone else extends to all of the basics, not just the flying ones.

Thus the saying that "Selection is a never-ending cycle."
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 20 March 2014, 11:31
Been There Done That

It's a shame that it happens less there than it should. I could scare people with the stories of trying to get rid of a problem soldier when they would have been put on the street within days if they were in the regular army. Some one the seniors now are more attuned to getting rid of people but we went through a long period where that wasn't the case.

The pilots have to really do something wrong to leave. Once a WO gets into the organization they pretty much get to stay as long as they want if they remain productive. Productive solely means flying more often than not though.
Old 20 March 2014, 15:55
Been ***** **** That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I wonder how much of that came from the "its about personality, not job title, or rank" attitude, only taken too far.

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.

Our new posting rules