Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 3 February 2013, 10:39
Good Medicine, Bad Places

New NatGeo series follows 38th RQS

It appears a new National Geographic series called "Inside Combat Rescue" is going to air on February 18th. Supposedly, it's about the lives of PJs and CROs, with a specific focus on a team from 38th Rescue Squadron. A lot of it appears to be set around one of their latest deployments to Afghanistan, but I haven't really read that much except for the overview on the site.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...combat-rescue/
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
Old 4 February 2013, 22:37
Been *****, Sat Alert

Simple, Nat Geo followed the 66th and the 58th through their deployment this past summer. It started as an input from a proud mom who's son is a PJ, and she happens to be a big wig within Nat Geo. ACC said you have to cover all of Rescue, not just PJs. Once they get a chance to sex things up, the PJs will tend to get more press so to speak.
Old 11 February 2013, 12:36
That Others May Live

So, busdriver, what you are really saying is, like soooo many other media stories, they begin with big rank officers, move to pilots and STO officers and such, and when they get around to the FE's, AG's and PJ's they realize, "Wow! these are the mo fo's we need to be filming!!!"
Old 14 February 2013, 22:12
Been There Done That

This has nothing to do with Pararescue...Take it somewhere else...
Old 15 February 2013, 13:21
Been There Done That

foxnews.com: inside-combat-rescue-air-force-pararescue/?playlist_id=86912
Old 19 February 2013, 08:04
Confirmed User

Enjoyed the show,interesting to see another side of things. Always thought it would be a rewarding career field. What do the PJ's here think?
Old 19 February 2013, 08:07
Send it....

I enjoyed the show last night. Kudos to all parties involved you have my upmost respect and are the reason many of my friends are alive today. Semper Fi
Old 19 February 2013, 08:11
Morte et une dame

Good to see that recognition, last night.
Old 19 February 2013, 10:02
Mask, Fins & Floaties

Good show. Have the DVR set to record the series.

As I watched, I kept thinking; "Where and when did they get all those nifty toys." I never got to use, or even train on an IO. Never had an EOTech on our basic M4s. It's great to see the progression and application of new technologies, and how the new gizmos are benefitting the guys on the front lines.
Old 19 February 2013, 20:39
Confirmed User

As a Flight Paramedic, watching this was quite humbling. I wish all Paramedics and EMTs in civilian EMS would watch this and they might lose the "Paragod Complex" after seeing what real life Hero's, go though! Mad Respect to Air Force PJs, I wish I had watched this show 20 yrs ago, I would have given it a shot. I am glad that Air Force PJs, can leave the Military and work in the civilian world, maybe they can teach the civilian side, a thing or two?
Old 19 February 2013, 23:47
Confirmed User

A very good and interesting program and fascinating insight to the Air Force's operating culture which has not got the attention it deserves.
Whilst I believe I understand the difference between Pedro and Dust-Off missions, I wondered if Dust-Off is operating in Afghan today?
Old 19 February 2013, 23:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodieBKK View Post
A very good and interesting program and fascinating insight to the Air Force's operating culture which has not got the attention it deserves.
Whilst I believe I understand the difference between Pedro and Dust-Off missions, I wondered if Dust-Off is operating in Afghan today?
Yes. Pedro and Dustoff (along with MERT in RC-SW) are tasked somewhat interchangeably, but each has different capabilities. .
Old 20 February 2013, 12:04
Appalachian RidgeRunner

My experience was that we got along with and had a great relationship with MERT. With Dustoff, you have to hand it to a chick who provides the same level of 'care' that 2 or 3 pj's provide. On the other hand, Marines know if they want their wounded evacuated anytime, anywhere, they just call for either a ventilator or extrication, and Pedro will get the mission, and miniguns blazing if given the chance.
Old 20 February 2013, 13:08
Doc McNasty

Elliot In The Morning (DC101) had Sgt Blankenship on the air live this morning, doing some Q/A about the NGC program, and about the CR community/job in general. Then discussed it at length on the show after the interview in a very complementary and respectful tone. I thought it was great press for both the show and the community.

Last edited by sarc88; 20 February 2013 at 13:16.
Old 20 February 2013, 16:01
Authorized Personnel

I TIVO'd it while I was TDY and watched it the other night.

I think they did a pretty good job of capturing the "Humor" of the Team Room, and the way PJs "decompress" (read as vicious practical jokes abound).

Naturally, Nat Geo had to "Drama" it up as much as possible... as if evacing an SF medic with a leg amputation, all the while him asking them to "Put me under", and "I know what's going on, PLEASE knock me out".

Brought back memories of my own Medivac, and their refusal to "drug me" for 6 hours as they were going to "operate" eventually...

"Nothing but ice chips and deep breathing for you Big Sarge"

If there was possibly a way for my respect for PJs to increase, this show would contribute...

HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 20 February 2013, 17:22

I thought that the PJ's featured on the first show did an excellent job of articulating what it is like going to war, especially the PJ that was on his fifth rotation. Basically, the longer you are there, the more you do, the more you see, and the feelings that you feel because of it.
Old 20 February 2013, 20:37
Been *****, Sat Alert

KJ, that's about spot on.... too bad they had to hold off on traditional PJ hair.
Old 20 February 2013, 22:04
Non Omittere

Great show, tough to see our folks hurt. Love the "Leroy Jenkins" alert.
Old 20 February 2013, 23:36
Appalachian RidgeRunner

HK, was it PJ's that picked you up? I know our guys loooove to give ol' Vitamin K (ketamine), because it's the one sure intervention we can provide that is instantaneous! The coalition attending physician's tend to turn their noses up at our liberal use of K and Fentanyl, but I guarantee our patient's appreciate it.
Old 21 February 2013, 03:19
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Yes. Pedro and Dustoff (along with MERT in RC-SW) are tasked somewhat interchangeably, but each has different capabilities. .
I liked the show as well. Hawkdrver( fuck your name is hard to phone type drunk) and I know a retired MSTSG?( I'm a Civie so I hope I get his rank right) Mr. S.S is the text book definition of a silent professional(21 years as a PJ) . The only time he unknowingly bragged was when we both took a confined space rescue class together, and our instructor started to talk about SKEDS. Mr.S.S asked me if I have ever used one. I replied no, i said have you? He goes, "officially once, I haloed into northern Africa to get a French fighter pilot that had crash and had to drag him out on one for 17 miles. Then he says" those French dudes are tough, he had third and second degree burns all over his his body and never complained.

I say, "you fucking dragged a guy almost 20 miles across a desert before you guys got exfilled and he's the badass? Mr. S goes" yeah". He never complained."

PJs are fucking awesome. I apologize for typos. I'm half lit and typing from a phone but much respect to you PJ's and crew.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results

Our new posting rules