Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 21 February 2013, 12:09
Doc McNasty

Sounds legit!
Old 22 February 2013, 07:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
I liked the show as well. Hawkdrver( fuck your name is hard to phone type drunk) and I know a retired MSTSG?( I'm a Civie so I hope I get his rank right) Mr. S.S is the text book definition of a silent professional(21 years as a PJ) . The only time he unknowingly bragged was when we both took a confined space rescue class together, and our instructor started to talk about SKEDS. Mr.S.S asked me if I have ever used one. I replied no, i said have you? He goes, "officially once, I haloed into northern Africa to get a French fighter pilot that had crash and had to drag him out on one for 17 miles. Then he says" those French dudes are tough, he had third and second degree burns all over his his body and never complained.

I say, "you fucking dragged a guy almost 20 miles across a desert before you guys got exfilled and he's the badass? Mr. S goes" yeah". He never complained."

PJs are fucking awesome. I apologize for typos. I'm half lit and typing from a phone but much respect to you PJ's and crew.
Did he say a timeframe of this so-called Northern Africa HALO/SKED drag mission? Hmmm.
Old 22 February 2013, 09:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Did he say a timeframe of this so-called Northern Africa HALO/SKED drag mission? Hmmm.
I agree...hmmm, indeed. Sounds SKEDchy to me.
Old 22 February 2013, 11:57
Been There Done That

Sounds SKEDchy to me too.
Old 22 February 2013, 12:19
Appalachian RidgeRunner

I never received a mission that cool. Nor would I accept it, as that's not how we do things.
Old 24 February 2013, 04:43
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Gentlemen,
It was a tongue in cheek story. The man is a legit retired PJ, the story was to fuck with me in a class. I thought I would have gotten laughs at the story here when I posted it. Not the PM's asking for his credentials from thhose of you who know it was a bs story. I forgot to put the at the end of my original post.

Anywho, good dude, good show. Hats off to you guys.

Good chuckle though, come on guys, 17mile drag over a desert, post halo??
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results

Last edited by AK49; 24 February 2013 at 05:01.
Old 28 February 2013, 09:48
That Others May Live

17 miles in drag over the desert? You would think one could at least carry a parasol.

Your right HD, the stockroom with the hair supplies wasn't shown. It's the wood door in the back to the right.

New phone ring tone: "Leeeeeroy Jenkins!"
Old 28 February 2013, 11:32
Confirmed User

I finally cleared this from my DVR. My wife actually watched it too, she usually tunes out when I watch shows like this. What really struck a chord with me was the genuine concern and compassion the guys showed for their patients.
Old 4 March 2013, 00:20
Confirmed User

The playful banter and pranks that would seem cruel and unusual to anyone outside of the team really hits me. Great show.
Old 4 March 2013, 08:59
No one special

FYI the episodes that have aired so far are up on Youtube. I know some people might not be able to see them air where they are.
The banter and pranks brought back memories of my time on " the bus". I was amazed too see how often they put IO's in. 13 years as a paramedic and plenty of trauma and I never had the opportunity to insert one.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.-smAFFhjnas
Old 4 March 2013, 09:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3/5Light-Fighter View Post
The playful banter and pranks that would seem cruel and unusual to anyone outside of the team really hits me. Great show.
The bouncy ball full of water was outstanding.
Old 4 March 2013, 14:41
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshock1 View Post
I was amazed too see how often they put IO's in. 13 years as a paramedic and plenty of trauma and I never had the opportunity to insert one.
Sidebar: IOs are not only common now, but encouraged. Pretty commonly seen in the military, but also civilian EDs and EMS agencies. This article from 6 years ago is pretty good: http://acls.mshpreps.com/EZ-IO/Supplement%20Materials/Intraosseous%20Vascular%20Access.pdf

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old 4 March 2013, 22:08
Confirmed User

When you guys are hanging out the side doors on the Pavehawk, are you strapped in or just hanging on?
Old 5 March 2013, 13:10
Appalachian RidgeRunner

Tied in with a bungee chord or climber's leash attached to a yates harness. Absoutely the funnest thing I've ever done. And that's from a MFF JM, diver, climber, paramedic, shooter, etc.
Old 5 March 2013, 13:54
Been There Done That

I'm really enjoying the show. I just wish it had aired earlier in the GWOT.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 March 2013, 19:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFpj View Post
Tied in with a bungee chord or climber's leash attached to a yates harness. Absoutely the funnest thing I've ever done. And that's from a MFF JM, diver, climber, paramedic, shooter, etc.
That is just badass, I saw them doing that at JBB in Iraq, Thanks!
Old 6 March 2013, 20:40
Appalachian RidgeRunner

MixedLoad, I think we've been content to be fairly low key. We'd love for the chicks to know how cool we are, have cool films, and be recognized more as SOF, but you have to remember that there are only around 400 PJ's, thus, we've been able to fill a niche in a lot of areas. More like a force multiplier than anything else. Funding has been adequate as well. Flying Casevac has made us known to the conventional troops, but that skill set was the last one we actually specialize in. Now dragging a downed and injured pilot across the African desert 17 miles, in a Skedco, after a wicked HALO jump is indeed what we specialize in...
Old 8 March 2013, 10:21
That Others May Live

I agree. It was not always good funding and in my day we had ZERO support to help (packed our own med kits, jammed our own scuba tanks, packed our own parachutes when we were allowed to :P) . The bright side is; we were always known by the people that needed to know us. It was easy for me, for example, to out a guy posing as a Marine Force Recon "Sniper" one time because I introduced myself and he had never heard of Pararescue. Easy kill, as all the true guys have heard of us or more importantly worked with Pararescue at some level. I think SOCOM recognizes our "niche" by putting us when billeted together in hangars or such; right in between the SEALs and SF. Sort of a buffer between these two lions, that we traditionally always got along with, but they never got along with each other. Just my two pesos worth.
Old 8 March 2013, 10:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Your right HD, the stockroom with the hair supplies wasn't shown. It's the wood door in the back to the right.
I was wondering who would be the first person to bring up "Hair Products"...

I could never compete with the "J"s when it came to folicular construction - Hence the High and Tight when I did my STS (First Sgt) gig...
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 9 March 2013, 15:53
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
Great show, tough to see our folks hurt. Love the "Leroy Jenkins" alert.
Is that what the alert yells out? I've been trying to figure out what the hell was said. I've even DVRd it and played it back over and over.....maybe I need a hearing aid. And who is Leroy Jenkins?

Sorry for stupid civvie questions but I have to ask if I want to know.

Love the show though I DO get upset when I watch our wounded guys on the chopper and finally in the hospital.

Very professional young men and kudos to them for what they do.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley

Our new posting rules