Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 18 February 2010, 00:32
Authorized Personnel

Kettle Bell Prices?

Where are you guys getting Kettle Bells for cheap?
Old 18 February 2010, 00:43
Been There Done That

I bought mine from Muscle Driver. I got free shipping, which is what will jack the price up if you buy online. I looked at Craigslist and Ebay but with so many Crossfit affiliates popping up, especially here in the PNW, there were very few. You might want to call a local Play It Again Sports but IMO they are overpriced.

ETA: I just looked at their site and the standard gray KBs are on sale. I have no idea how they compare to other places but I have a Crossfit home gym with bumpers, platform, rings, kbs, abmat etc and I got the best deal on the stuff I bought from Muscle Driver.
Old 18 February 2010, 00:56
Authorized Personnel

thanks man - I'll check them out.
Old 18 February 2010, 08:39
Administrator

See if you have a local Play it again Sam. I got a used 36KG at the one near me for $25
Old 18 February 2010, 10:01
Authorized Personnel

I need a whole set... so my wife can torture the gymnasts.
Old 18 February 2010, 10:06
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Wally world has their "Gold's Gym" branded for a decent price, something like .60 cents per pound...

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 18 February 2010, 12:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
I need a whole set... so my wife can torture the gymnasts.
How heavy a set?

Dicks sporting goods has them up to 45 lbs. They are made very solidly and since you can drive there, you save on shipping.
Old 18 February 2010, 12:53
Been There Done That

You can get them at Home Depot:
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-DIY-Kettle-Bell/

I think Gryfen once commented that they'd be brutal on your hands, but I'm sure you can do something about that rebar....
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 18 February 2010, 14:05
Confirmed User

I picked up the starter one at Target--and they had several bigger ones on the shelf . . .
Old 27 February 2013, 16:08
Been There Done That

Kettle Bells

Had Kettle Bells for awhile, and in the past just mixed in 1-2 exercises along with my standard dumbell/PT type workout. Well, over a week ago, I decided to start (after not lifting for a month) just doing an all Kettle Bell workout. Rocks. Sore though. Only do about a 20 minute workout, but really burns as seems with the various kettle bell routines, every one is using multiple body parts instead of isolation. Really like them. Like doing push ups with the Kettle Bells also as a platform. Use two 35 pounders. I can tell you doing hammer curls with the kettles, feel like doing 50 pound dumbell curls. Smoker. Got some good routines and exercises from www.bloomtofit.com He has a pretty good video on youtube showing various KB exercises.

Anyone else using Kettle Bells exclusively? Any unique exercise you do with them?
Old 27 February 2013, 16:17
Confirmed User

The only weights I use is a 45 lb kettle bell. I'm on the road all the time, so not only does a kettle bell allow for easy travel, it is a great workout.

I don't use any Kettle Bell unique movements, just replace barbells and weights with it. Single arm cleans, presses, lunges, etc.
Old 27 February 2013, 18:24
Confirmed User

Big fan. Favorites are Farmers Carries, Snatch, Floor Press, Swing & Release, Weighted Pull Ups, and Turkish Get Ups. You're only limited by your imagination.
Old 4 March 2013, 12:20
Authorized Personnel

For 2013 I am using kettlebells and a pull-up bar only.

I halfheartedly tried kettlebells twice in the past and didn't get much out of them.

Since giving them another try beginning in January, and crossing the line into double-kettlebell work, I have become a convert.

Of course one can lift more weight using a barbell and thus become stronger doing the big three of squat, dead lift, and bench.

However, for my goals, and the amount of time I have available each week, I find kettlebells are the best thing going.

Once you cross the line into double-Kettlebell work you enter a whole new world.

I have a pair of 16kg, 24kg, and 32kg kettlebells. This plus a pull-up bar is all I need.

My first goal for 2013 is to complete a ten minute "kettlebell long cycle" with a 24kg in each hand.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 4 March 2013, 14:12
Confirmed User

I have been using KB's since 2005, along with pull-ups/running/sit-ups. After trying to get "big" (and failing, just not in my cards to get above 185) I figured I would embrace my body type and KB's seem to be the best fit. And I can work out in a 3x3 area if need be, though swings can be potentially dangerous to oblivious animals and kids...
Old 27 June 2013, 19:54

I use a 45lb and 55lb kettlebell for my workouts. after a warm up of jump rope, push ups, sit ups, and burpees, I do slingshots, crushing halo's, snatches, squats, and side swings...Ive been lifting weights since I was 13, and by far, its the best workout Ive ever done. it helped me lose a lot of weight when I was trying to slim down. go to youtube and look up "kettle bell 300"...smokes you like a pack of Newports.
Old 22 March 2014, 23:00
The Sagacious One

I just bought a 35, 45, and a 55. I incorporated two KB exercises into my workout and it made a huge difference. Anyone have a good source for basic exercises? I did basic swings and goblet squats yesterday.
Old 22 March 2014, 23:05
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
How heavy a set?

Dicks sporting goods has them up to 45 lbs. They are made very solidly and since you can drive there, you save on shipping.
Pardon the necro Post. I bought mine at Dicks. They have up to 55 lbs, I bought a 35, 45, and a 55 lber.

Now, what to do with them??????
Old 23 March 2014, 00:03
EOD Mod

TFG, I really like "Kettlebell Rx" by Jeff Martone. A lot of good routines.
Old 23 March 2014, 00:39
Vivat Fraternitatis

I tried the "Secret Service Snatch Test" the other day. Max snatches in 10 minutes @ 55# with only 1 switch of arms. 10 minutes I thought, no big deal. Jesus Christ...
Old 23 March 2014, 08:52
Retired Veteran

I saw them at Target for about $25 each.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson

Our new posting rules