Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 20 May 2014, 10:33
EOD Mod

Poison, I don't know who the question was directed to but I do Russian style, so chest level.
Old 20 May 2014, 11:02
Confirmed User

Yeah, directed at you, but curious about everyone. I do Russian style, I like the faster pace.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:14
EOD Mod

Same here. I've also read enough to be concerned with damaging the shoulder with American/Crossfit style swings. I'll do them once in a while, but not too often.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:40
33,024 - R.I.P.

I was doing hi pull swings when I re injured/strained my back. No more swinging weights using my back as a fulcrum. Don't really understand the reasoning behind the exercise to begin with. For lower back and core strengthening I'll stick with the dead lifts VersaFit log work.
Old 21 May 2014, 00:46
Confirmed User

Russian swings have actually made my back feel a lot better. I have a herniated disc, and I used to dl regularly, but swings are having a better effect. Both exercises use the back as a fulcrum, but swings can duplicate similar force with less weight.
Old 21 May 2014, 08:05
EOD Mod

JAFO, the only time I've strained my back with kettlebells, ego was involved and I progressed up to my 70 too quickly. As poison said, done correctly, I've had relief from back pain. I also don't do I reps continuously anymore.
Old 22 May 2014, 07:31
Confirmed User

Just did 100 swings straight with 24kg. PR right there. I do feel my left elbow a tiny bit. Finished off with 70, then 30 for my 200. I feel like if I dont do it every time, I can develop the tendon and ligament strength.

Now, clean and presses! Use it or lose it, I'll be 40 in 2 days. I choose 'use'.
Old 22 May 2014, 08:14
The Sagacious One

I use a swing that comes up to eye level. The swings make my back feel better as well.
Old 22 May 2014, 08:44
EOD Mod

I think a lot of people try to keep the back too rigid when swinging. For lack of better terminology, for me there is a "collapse" that takes place at the bottom as the handle comes in contact with the hip.
Old 22 May 2014, 09:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I was doing hi pull swings when I re injured/strained my back. No more swinging weights using my back as a fulcrum. Don't really understand the reasoning behind the exercise to begin with. For lower back and core strengthening I'll stick with the dead lifts VersaFit log work.
It's actually a hip hinge not a back fulcrum movement.
Old 22 May 2014, 09:50
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
It's actually a hip hinge not a back fulcrum movement.
As much as it pains, me to admit this , he is correct. The core is worked by holding the lower back in a solid position. Pivoting at the sacro would definitely cause a lower back strain of some sorts. This is of course my rookie assessment.
Old 22 May 2014, 13:39
EOD Mod

Good point SB. The hip drive is the prime mover. FG, when I talk about relaxing, it is between when the handle hits my upper thighs and the bell smacking my ass, so about a second. For me this acts as a shock absorber and doesn't transfer the shock to my lower back. This is experience based, and not something I learned anywhere in particular. It also seems to allow for a stronger hip drive when using a heavier bell.

I want to go to a Strong First cert within the next couple years, so I can speak more intelligently on this. One issue I may have is that I believe Pavel requires a weighted pistol and my knees are shit.
Old 22 May 2014, 20:38
Confirmed User

http://kettlebellfitnessdk.wordpress...ebell-swinger/

I watched that last night, it applies to you, the kb shouldn't hit your butt. Now this applies to me, I tend to squat a bit too much:

http://kettlebellfitnessdk.wordpress...mmon-mistakes/

I'll be working to fix that, but... I don't feel too bad, because according to him it's simply harder, not bad or harmful.
Old 22 May 2014, 20:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Good point SB. The hip drive is the prime mover. FG, when I talk about relaxing, it is between when the handle hits my upper thighs and the bell smacking my ass, so about a second. For me this acts as a shock absorber and doesn't transfer the shock to my lower back. This is experience based, and not something I learned anywhere in particular. It also seems to allow for a stronger hip drive when using a heavier bell.

I want to go to a Strong First cert within the next couple years, so I can speak more intelligently on this. One issue I may have is that I believe Pavel requires a weighted pistol and my knees are shit.
JW,
I am prepping for my SF cert this Sept. I am fortunate enough to have access to one of the Sr instructors as a friend and have been working with him for about six months.

If you are actually letting the bell hit you in the ass - that's not a good thing. Be sure to keep control of the bell throughout the entire range of motion. I had to learn to go lighter on weight to improve my form and structure which was a hit to my ego, of course - but it has paid dividends in the long run.

I only do the Russian style swing up to shoulder level. Going higher than that puts excessive stress on lower back, neck and shoulders. If I want the bell over my head, I will do snatches or C/Ps.

If you want to go for the StrongFirst KB cert - there is no current requirement for a weighted pistol. More info on requirements here: http://www.strongfirst.com/kettlebell-instructor-certification-sfgi/

Cheers.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:53
EOD Mod

Very cool. I'll take a look at the video and make corrections.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:05
BTDT

That Steve Cotter video was good. I may be squatting too much as well.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:23
Administrator

Leg bend should only happen as a reaction to the hip hinge, not as part of the the movement pattern and even then it's minimum.

The swing is not a quad or low back exercise. Hamstrings and glutes.

The hip hinge initiation is very similiar the the start of a Romanian deadlift. The arms, shoulders, quads etc should not be getting directly worked.
Old 23 May 2014, 11:42
EOD Mod

Okay, so in swinging today, and agreeing with SB's statements above, I believe that I'm using correct form. Further, evidently all my buddies are correct and I have little T-rex arms. This causes the bell to strike my ass as a result of the little T-rex hands striking high on the thighs as opposed to passing through. For me to avoid this, I have to squat into the exercise, which is discouraged. So, I'm a freak with abnormally short arms.
Old 23 May 2014, 12:06
Administrator

Striking high on the thighs is fine. The bell shouldn't fly up into your asshole unless you like that feeling.

Bell shouldn't generally be down near the knees when you hinge properly.
Old 23 May 2014, 13:35
EOD Mod

What can I say...Navy

Our new posting rules