Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 19 August 2013, 12:57
Authorized Personnel

Pararescue: Rescue Warriors

Gents,

I've been watching this series on Youtube and it is truly excellent. But I got to episode 3 and was honestly shocked. One of the trainees went AWOL after specifically being told to stay on Medina Annex over the weekend. He got his just deserts but what truly bugged me (and freaking stunned me, honestly) was that the O-3 TL of the class lied repeatedly to the chief instructor about not knowing that the dude had gone AWOL but then later recanted.

I went to USAFA with at least one of your CROs and I know that this individual demonstrated solid leadership, at least as a cadet. I also cannot fathom how an active duty USAF officer would lie to his own leadership, under ANY circumstances--much less to protect some dipshit airman that went AWOL. I was only a tanker guy, but I guarantee you that pulling shit like that as an officer would be a guaranteed Article 15, at the very least in the aviation community.

I got out several years ago. Has the AF really changed that much?? I cannot believe that a lying officer would be tolerated, especially in an esteemed community like yours.
Old 19 August 2013, 21:01
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by specat93 View Post
Gents,

I've been watching this series on Youtube and it is truly excellent. But I got to episode 3 and was honestly shocked. One of the trainees went AWOL after specifically being told to stay on Medina Annex over the weekend. He got his just deserts but what truly bugged me (and freaking stunned me, honestly) was that the O-3 TL of the class lied repeatedly to the chief instructor about not knowing that the dude had gone AWOL but then later recanted.

I went to USAFA with at least one of your CROs and I know that this individual demonstrated solid leadership, at least as a cadet. I also cannot fathom how an active duty USAF officer would lie to his own leadership, under ANY circumstances--much less to protect some dipshit airman that went AWOL. I was only a tanker guy, but I guarantee you that pulling shit like that as an officer would be a guaranteed Article 15, at the very least in the aviation community.

I got out several years ago. Has the AF really changed that much?? I cannot believe that a lying officer would be tolerated, especially in an esteemed community like yours.
IIRC he got a LOR that was read in front of the entire class, and the AWOL guy went back to Alaska with his wife.
Old 20 August 2013, 03:57
Authorized Personnel

He got an LOC for being below standards that was read to the class. If that is all that he received, he got off lucky IMO. A non-ops O-3 (because they have more likelihood of having to directly supervise enlisted troops than do O's in the ops world) has likely had to counsel junior enlisted before on issues like this. That was embarrassing to watch.
Old 20 August 2013, 09:14
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by specat93 View Post
He got an LOC for being below standards that was read to the class. If that is all that he received, he got off lucky IMO. A non-ops O-3 (because they have more likelihood of having to directly supervise enlisted troops than do O's in the ops world) has likely had to counsel junior enlisted before on issues like this. That was embarrassing to watch.
Agreed, especially because he (and the other NCO's) were allowing standards to drop.
Old 17 September 2013, 05:36
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Seems like the AWOL dude was a real winner
http://www.justmugshots.com/wisconsin/eastman/18118505

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 11 March 2014, 21:58

The class that was filmed for that video was 2 classes after mine (if i remember correctly indoc 003-04 was the video class). The AWOL kid was dropped from the program and i believe booted out of the AF as well. However thee Capt. when on to graduate indoc and become did in fact become a CRO. Again if I remember correctly the show didnt air until after the said Capt had already graduated and was at therefor made it a bit late to do much about it. I was never a big fan of his as a student or later on as a PJ NCO (no in his unit ever) but he apparently has done an ok job as a CRO.

Our new posting rules