Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 March 2017, 21:29
The Sagacious One

Who wants a vacation? Cut the grade school bullshit.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 23 March 2017 at 10:26.
Old 20 March 2017, 21:29
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
One fantastic article, TFG. Filed away 'grievance culture' for later.
Just to be clear, I copied and pasted the article for all to see. I didn't write that.
Old 21 March 2017, 07:45
Another pool cleaner

Mr. Sowell is an inspiration for all.
Old 22 March 2017, 17:51
Anesthetized User

And the lawsuits start. As reported in the article, the plan of action by the Vice Principal is scary, and as reported is supported by higher administration.

Strangely, the girls who self identify as the opposite sex were so closely aligned with being male, they still wore bra's.

Well, at least were are immune from social confusion.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...t-natural.html

Support SOCNET.
Old 22 March 2017, 17:54
Authorized Personnel

It's embarrassing that this is even an issue. If he/she identified as a walking/talking turnip...they would be considered nuts. But....
Old 22 March 2017, 20:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
And the lawsuits start. As reported in the article, the plan of action by the Vice Principal is scary, and as reported is supported by higher administration.

Strangely, the girls who self identify as the opposite sex were so closely aligned with being male, they still wore bra's.

Well, at least were are immune from social confusion.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...t-natural.html
And people wonder why the Homeschool movement continues to grow.

Wonder if they are going to tell girls on the female locker room to just act natural when there are "boys" who ID as girls changing there.

Just amazes me, if this stuff was going on in 30 - 40 years ago, those principals would be run out of town.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 March 2017, 21:28

We are big believers in homeschooling but have found out recently that even the courts frown on it during custody disputes. If I hear the phrase "they need to socialize" one more time, I am going to lose my mind.

My children neither need nor want to be around the terrible kids at their current school. And let's not get started on the teachers who are always absent or have 0 idea what goes on in their own classrooms. It is more like state-funded childcare than an educational system. /rant off
Old 22 March 2017, 21:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
We are big believers in homeschooling but have found out recently that even the courts frown on it during custody disputes. If I hear the phrase "they need to socialize" one more time, I am going to lose my mind.

My children neither need nor want to be around the terrible kids at their current school. And let's not get started on the teachers who are always absent or have 0 idea what goes on in their own classrooms. It is more like state-funded childcare than an educational system. /rant off
It truly has nothing to do with socializing, but their lack of having them under their control for eight hours a day. In these days and times, children are more socialized by the fourth grade than most of us were in middle school. We homeschooled for seven years. My son played every sport he wanted...not to mention the fact that he went to multiple events with kids from public/private schools as well as others that were homeschooled. Their is no lack of socializing by homeschooled children.
Old 22 March 2017, 22:04

I agree with you 100% Agoge. Our kids have a tiny little farm they run and invite their friends over to see, they play sports/gymnastics and the fact is, there are plenty of homeschool groups around here if we really felt the need to get them out more.. which we don't.

We spend more time fixing the crap they learn at school than we do exploring new ideas. Can't wait for summer. This year has been super packed for us but we are planning on homeschooling again this next year.
Old 23 March 2017, 09:31
Confirmed User

Quote:

We are homeshooling next year mostly because the school doesn't actually seem to teach shit. I have been trying to convince my wife for at least 3 years now and finally she she made the leap.
The straw that broke the camels back was a research project on famous people. My son was supposed to do research, write a report that includes specific information and then present it to the class. First problem is that this 4th grade class does very little writing and does everything on tablets and occasionally computers. Also, they don't have any spelling tests and very little instruction on writing.
A couple weeks ago, when the written report was graded, he received a rubrik grade show that he received a B+ and reasons why he lost points in certain area but never saw the written report. Last weekend, we wanted to see what he wrote and to do so, we had to access the class Google Docs account which my son was able to do and we read his report.

There is no way his report should have passed much less received a B. Fore starters, he did not capitalize his own first name much less the person he was writing about. His grammar was terrible. My wife used to substitute at the school and actually filled in for 6 months during his kindergarten year when the teacher went on maternity leave and she taught this level of grammar that year. There has been next to no improvement in writing.

She asked our son, if he has ever received a writing assignment back that illustrated his mistakes and the answer was no. It has been an issue for a couple years that they don't actually teach anything that is not on the standardized tests. And they spend a solid two weeks on those test with reviews and practice tests....

Our kids are not geniuses my any means but both are well above exit criteria for their grades so the teachers time is spent on the kids still below level so the kids above level receive lots of free reading time or what is called Inquiry which just turns into kids playing on the internet.

So even the so called decent schools without the thugs, there is very little real education taking place.

Quote:
We spend more time fixing the crap they learn at school than we do exploring new ideas.
This is a big part of our problem as well. After 7+ hours at school and seeing them not understand the homework, we find ourselvse spending an hour or more working with them to explain what the teacher meant, or didn't teach at all.
The real advantage to homeschooling is being able to teach much less time and the kid's day is not filled with hours of fluff time time when the teacher is working with other kids and what not.
Old 23 March 2017, 10:05
Been There Done That

Worked in Colombia for a few years some years ago. My wife home schooled our two daughters for two of those years. When we got back to the states, they went back to public school.

They were smarter and more knowledgeable at 8 and 9 years old than they are now, in college, at 21 and 22 years old.
Old 23 March 2017, 10:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just amazes me, if this stuff was going on in 30 - 40 years ago, those principals would be run out of town.

If they were lucky.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 23 March 2017, 11:39
Confirmed User

]Mr. Sowell is an inspiration for all.

Another Sowell Jewel paraphrased slightly.

¨60 years ago if you thought everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards you were a radical. Same thought 30 years ago your a liberal. Hold that thought today and your a racist¨
Old 24 March 2017, 10:27
Holy Diver

Imagine, if you will, a society where you are now being told you cannot eat Chinese food because it's 'cultural appropriation' and then promptly told your St. Patrick's Day celebrations are racist and insensitive as well. This shit is all by design. I may start celebrating Kwanza just for the hell of it now.
Old 24 March 2017, 10:28
BTDT

Is it ok to celebrate festivus?
Old 24 March 2017, 10:52
#AllLionsMatter

Red face Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I may start celebrating Kwanza just for the hell of it now.
Hell! I had look-up Kwanza:

Quote:
The name Kwanzaa is derived from the phrase “matunda ya kwanza” which means “first fruits” in Swahili. Each family celebrates Kwanzaa in its own way, but celebrations often include songs and dances, African drums, storytelling, poetry reading, and a large traditional meal. On each of the seven nights, the family gathers and a child lights one of the candles on the Kinara (candleholder), then one of the seven principles is discussed. The principles, called the Nguzo Saba (seven principles in Swahili) are values of African culture which contribute to building and reinforcing community among African-Americans. Kwanzaa also has seven basic symbols which represent values and concepts reflective of African culture. An African feast, called a Karamu, is held on December 31.
Are these paid days off?

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 24 March 2017, 11:05
Clorox bearer for SOTB

So... "African Americans" are celebrating a holiday that represents the values of the African culture, which includes the practice of stronger African tribes capturing members of weaker tribes and selling them to white slave traders?
I don't get it.
I also don't get the term "African American" or any other "______ American either. So, if I am born in South Africa, and immigrate to the US, do I qualify as an "African American" even if I am white? (Josh Blue)

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 24 March 2017, 11:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
YOUR POST.
Yep, and it's nothing new in bigger public schools. Years ago, we're sitting at PTA conferences for our oldest (4th grade as well, now that I think about it).
So I'm looking at all her papers, etc. And I noticed, tons of misspellings, grammatical errors etc. I mention it, and the teacher says that the project was just a creative story and it wasn't for spelling, grammar, etc, and they don't want to stifle the kids. I said that's great, so it's like teaching them to jump out of airplanes, after they've jumped out of the airplane.
She didn't know what to say. And it only has gotten worse
Old 24 March 2017, 11:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
Is it ok to celebrate festivus?
if you do it with the restofus,lol
Old 24 March 2017, 11:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
So... "African Americans" are celebrating a holiday that represents the values of the African culture, which includes the practice of stronger African tribes capturing members of weaker tribes and selling them to white slave traders?
I don't get it.
I also don't get the term "African American" or any other "______ American either. So, if I am born in South Africa, and immigrate to the US, do I qualify as an "African American" even if I am white? (Josh Blue)
My nephew (6 yrs. old) was born in South Africa. I always refer to him as an African American. I hope he applies for all the "African American" scholarships he can when it is time to go to college.

His older brother and sister (14 and 15 yrs old) were born in China. They both should have "Made in China" tattooed on their rear ends.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Our new posting rules