Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 7 September 2014, 22:38
I aim to misbehave

First-time powerlifter

Well...someone talked me into joining the college powerlifting team, where I'm actually too old to compete in the collegiate division, so I'm going to lift in the raw division. That said, I've never done any kind of powerlifting in my life. Most of a decade ago, I did some Oly competitions, and I'm a pretty damned good weightlifter, but powerlifting is a totally different beast.

That said, anyone out there have any good advice for a first-time powerlifter?

While true:
Continue
Old 8 September 2014, 00:16
Social Claymore

Yea, pick up heavy shit. ��
Regarding Raw lifting, look into the Cube method by Brandon Lilly. Similar to the Conjugate method from Westsidembut designed for raw lifting.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 8 September 2014, 00:40
I aim to misbehave

Thanks...I just picked up the Cube Method book on Kindle...I have about a month and a half until my first meet, so we'll see how much I can improve between now and then.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 September 2014, 12:33
0311/8651

In 1966 Paul Anderson came to my HS(sister HS).when someone even thinks they are strong in the gym where I work out I think of him.
Pat Casey in the day was squatting 800; Paul warmed up with 800.he won an Olympic Gold(he did all 3 lifts) in those days(1956 Oly. In Russia)DB presses of 300# ++.
Old 8 September 2014, 13:43
padrino con il vino

Oh yea he was one of the great ones, I just went in the Corps when he won in the Olympics and strived for years to lift like him but never came close. He certainly was the strongest in those days'
Old 8 September 2014, 19:56

What lifts will you compete in?

Lifting raw and drug free, the best routine for breaking through a plateau for me; is the 5/3/1, designed by Jim Wendler. It is a 4 week cycle. I felt I garnered the best results doing a 4 week run, laying off of the routine for a couple of weeks and then another full routine.

Best PR gains I've ever seen. Especially when confronted with a plateau, then you are eventually 3 repping your old PR. Given that you have stuck with the program in a disciplined manner.
Old 8 September 2014, 20:14
Been There Done That

My advice on powerlifting: Don't wait until you're 51 years old to start. But, like Lads* sez, I ran 5/3/1 for 18 cycles up until June. I ended up the strongest I'd ever been in my life. I've been on a hiatus from the iron for 3 months but it's time to revisit. Good luck.

*But I don't get the 4 week cycle and then 2 weeks off--it's 3 heavy weeks, 1 light, rinse and repeat. If you run it 4 on / 2 off that's like a 3 week break, right. Might be a thing, but I rarely even took the light week.
Old 8 September 2014, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
*But I don't get the 4 week cycle and then 2 weeks off--it's 3 heavy weeks, 1 light, rinse and repeat. If you run it 4 on / 2 off that's like a 3 week break, right. Might be a thing, but I rarely even took the light week.
You are correct. I mainly use the 5/3/1 as a plateau breaker. Depending on how my body feels at the end of the cycle, more often then not I will hit a week or two in auxiliary lifts. Decline and incline bench, hack squat, my arms like a mother (never neglect the pipes). Regroup add weight and another 5/3/1 until I accomplish my goal. Now, my aim is to more or less remain as strong as possible, but not hurt. Buckeye Bench Routine every week taught me that killing it heavy non-stop takes a toll.
Old 8 September 2014, 22:53
0311/8651

I'm 65. I do DB BP,leg press,DL, and some EZ curl,Tricep exer.i throw in a few others,boxing workout
Old 9 September 2014, 01:46
Social Claymore

I also like 5/3/1 for the already stated purpose.
I can't say enough about the Cube method though. 3 waves over the course of 9 weeks with the 10th being your competition week (actual meet or gym meet). Ran the cycle in Jan-March of this year and pushed my DL up to 465lbs from415, squat to 435lbs from 405 and bench to 295lbs from 275 at a body weight of 182lbs.
What I really like about the program is 3 days a week is powerlifting focused with a day of "ego" building on the end with sets of 10-12reps for a more bodybuilding styled day. Really helps break the week up.
BOFH,
Have you lifted in a meet before?

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 9 September 2014, 09:20
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I also like 5/3/1 for the already stated purpose.
I can't say enough about the Cube method though. 3 waves over the course of 9 weeks with the 10th being your competition week (actual meet or gym meet). Ran the cycle in Jan-March of this year and pushed my DL up to 465lbs from415, squat to 435lbs from 405 and bench to 295lbs from 275 at a body weight of 182lbs.
What I really like about the program is 3 days a week is powerlifting focused with a day of "ego" building on the end with sets of 10-12reps for a more bodybuilding styled day. Really helps break the week up.
BOFH,
Have you lifted in a meet before?
I used to lift in USAW competitions...most of a decade ago...never powerlifted before though. Team's first meet is in November.

Big issue for me is bench press. I have always felt it interfered with the snatch, so I have never trained it. As of this morning (and admittedly coming out of rehab for a Slap tear from a motorcycle wreck) I bench slightly less than my body weight. On the good side of things, as a novice bencher, I expect I'll see fast gains right out of the gate, but that will only last a little while, and I have a long way to go.

Beyond that, it's just technique tweaks for squat and dl...I keep inadvertently "loading the hamstrings" for a clean when I set up to dl...

I am also trying to structure my training so that I don't lose all my oly gains in shoulder flexibility and speed-strength.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 September 2014, 13:07
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I used to lift in USAW competitions...most of a decade ago...never powerlifted before though. Team's first meet is in November.

Big issue for me is bench press. I have always felt it interfered with the snatch, so I have never trained it. As of this morning (and admittedly coming out of rehab for a Slap tear from a motorcycle wreck) I bench slightly less than my body weight. On the good side of things, as a novice bencher, I expect I'll see fast gains right out of the gate, but that will only last a little while, and I have a long way to go.

Beyond that, it's just technique tweaks for squat and dl...I keep inadvertently "loading the hamstrings" for a clean when I set up to dl...

I am also trying to structure my training so that I don't lose all my oly gains in shoulder flexibility and speed-strength.
The ever constant quest for balance. good luck with that shit.

Old 9 September 2014, 13:12
BTDT

Check out Johnny Candito on YouTube. Lots of good, free, info. He's got some free programs on his website.

OmarIsuf is good too.

I PowerBuild, not Power Lift, but I use a lot of the info to improve and not visit "Snap City"

I know you're doing Raw, but if you ever need a good belt, check out Inzer. Just got a 10mm in the mail and that thing ROCKS!
Old 9 September 2014, 13:46
Social Claymore

Inzer has great products for the geared lifter. Lever belts!!!!

Old 9 September 2014, 15:19
I aim to misbehave

I use a strength shop lever belt for squats...I still have one laying around I was planning to use if I need a belt.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 September 2014, 15:50
Been There Done That

BOFH, I've heard that a lot of guys get stuck at bodyweight on the bench as they're going through progression. If you're already doing bodyweight bench relatively untrained you'll probably make good progress for a while.
And I'd bet the meet you're entered in allows belts even raw. Most I've heard about do.

And, damn, WhiteBean, those are very nice lifts for 182. I had planned to get to a 405 squat this year but my summer has ruined my progression. I'm going to ratchet down and start again-- but I don't think I'm going to do pure strength training again. Too old and too much ego. But it was a fun two year run.

Lads, I'm not suggesting any program for anyone at this time. I ran Starting Strength for about 6 months, which was great for a while--didn't last too long because of my age. BOFH, as an Oly guy, is probably too advanced for it, although it might work for his bench for a few months. I'm a novice and everything I know I learned on the interwebz and personal trial and error. I have no desire to compete. I like 5/3/1, but the stuff I've read about Cube make it sound very interesting. Lilly is certainly a strong mofo. Wendler did okay, too, I guess. I recall someone who posts here knows him.
Old 9 September 2014, 16:17
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
BOFH, I've heard that a lot of guys get stuck at bodyweight on the bench as they're going through progression. If you're already doing bodyweight bench relatively untrained you'll probably make good progress for a while.
And I'd bet the meet you're entered in allows belts even raw. Most I've heard about do.

And, damn, WhiteBean, those are very nice lifts for 182. I had planned to get to a 405 squat this year but my summer has ruined my progression. I'm going to ratchet down and start again-- but I don't think I'm going to do pure strength training again. Too old and too much ego. But it was a fun two year run.

Lads, I'm not suggesting any program for anyone at this time. I ran Starting Strength for about 6 months, which was great for a while--didn't last too long because of my age. BOFH, as an Oly guy, is probably too advanced for it, although it might work for his bench for a few months. I'm a novice and everything I know I learned on the interwebz and personal trial and error. I have no desire to compete. I like 5/3/1, but the stuff I've read about Cube make it sound very interesting. Lilly is certainly a strong mofo. Wendler did okay, too, I guess. I recall someone who posts here knows him.
I was pretty pleased with it and have been able to maintain since, but deployed chow hall food and current mission/op tempo limit how much I can push (and be good for mission). And I've seen that age is just a number, you older cats from the SOF world tend to age like steel.

BOFH, regarding the bench press: chains, bands and blocks are all good to go to help with plateaus. Cube methods creator B.Lilly is pretty dead set against them but in think that is do more to his displeasure at Westside Barbell.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked for you. I decided a few months back that after this deployment, I'm going to get back into powerlifting and currently looking for meets myself. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 9 September 2014, 17:22
Been There Done That

Have you read/watched stuff on EliteFTS? Lots of powerlift form tweaks etc there.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 9 September 2014, 17:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I was pretty pleased with it and have been able to maintain since, but deployed chow hall food and current mission/op tempo limit how much I can push (and be good for mission). And I've seen that age is just a number, you older cats from the SOF world tend to age like steel. .
Hah! That paragraph brings up a lot of things--- I always wondered about the balloon going up right after a marathon smoke session--which might have been an actual marathon! And I never appreciated how closely diet (nutrition) was tied into lifting--I grew up in the bodybuilding age (70s) so had no clue... we did curls and benched and 8 shoulder movements--such BS. As far as steel--yeah, right. Rusty is more like it.
Old 9 September 2014, 20:54
Authorized Personnel

This forum is a good resource.

http://powerandbulk.c8.ixwebhosting.com

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard

Our new posting rules