Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 10 September 2014, 02:57
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2bob View Post
Have you read/watched stuff on EliteFTS? Lots of powerlift form tweaks etc there.
Looking it up today. Haven't heard of it before.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 September 2014, 09:01
I aim to misbehave

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, gentlemen!

While true:
Continue
Old 10 September 2014, 11:20
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Looking it up today. Haven't heard of it before.

Great recommendation by bob. If you haven't had a chance to look at them, I'd recommend doing so.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 10 September 2014, 11:27

Whitebean is on point; boards, bands and chains.
Old 10 September 2014, 11:30
These ain't my pants.

BOFH,

I've been training for powerlifting, in some manner, for the last 10yrs or so. Picking heavy (for me) shit up is what I like to do when it comes to the gym. A good friend of mine owns one of the most respected powerlifting crews in SC. Shoot me a message if you ever end up there for any reason.

Some of these may have been mentioned, but I'll throw them out there:

Elitefts.com - Most of the guys writing for EFS have been at the top of the game for a long time. A lot of their info is centered more towards geared powerlifting, but the amount of knowledgeable people on their staff is probably second to none.

Juggernaut (JTS) - Read their stuff. They have some really good guys writing for them, and on their staff. They also center most of their stuff around raw lifting, so their training splits and cues may work a bit better for you.

Paul Carter (Lift Run Bang) - I really like Carter's stuff. He's a raw lifter with a very bare bones approach on his training splits and articles. No fancy conjugate training, or bands and chain work. I've incorporated a lot of his thoughts into some of my own training.

Brian Carroll (10-20-Life) - One of these smartest in the business. Former WR holder in 3 separate weight classes. Nice dude and just incredibly detailed and no shit approach to training. I incorporate a lot of his stuff, and this is what my buddies gym programs.

Alex Viada (Complete Human Performance) - Alex is a personal friend of mine. His training is a bit more hybrid (ie mixing powerlifting and endurance or speed work). He personally has a 4:15 best mile at 22Xlbs or so, with a >700lbs squat and DL. By and large, he's brilliant and makes different worlds mash in ways most people don't think is possible.

Above all else, I think the biggest thing is spending time in the gym, under the bar, training with your team. The articles are nice to read and give you ideas on how to structure your training, but there's no substitute for quality training time. If you really want to get better, spend the extra money and travel to train with some top tier gyms. That training time under the eyes of an experienced, successful, coach/lifters is worth it's weight in gold.

chubs

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 10 September 2014, 11:34
These ain't my pants.

Quote:

BOFH, regarding the bench press: chains, bands and blocks are all good to go to help with plateaus. Cube methods creator B.Lilly is pretty dead set against them but in think that is do more to his displeasure at Westside Barbell.

I don't agree with Lilly on everything, but I do agree with him on the chains and bands issue. For a raw lifter, I don't see the necessity for them. I've cut them completely out of my last 3 training cycles, and feel like I've performed much better on my heavy lifts. There is also a large group of dedicated Raw lifters that very rarely utilize any bands or chains (Lilly, Paul Carter, Pete Rubish, the Lillibridges, just to name a couple). I used to heavily use chains and boards but have to say lately I've enjoyed them taking a back seat.

chubs

Old 14 September 2014, 22:12
I aim to misbehave

BP is coming along nicely...much more quickly than I expected. I've added a considerable amount to my workout weight already...I guess that's the advantage of being a novice presser. Really kinda messed with my head, though...I've been doing squats, DLs, and Olys long enough that gains come pretty slowly now...

While true:
Continue
Old 15 June 2015, 10:35
I aim to misbehave

Well, as a quick update: I haven't competed yet...wanted to get in good shape before I went out and did it in front of people. First competition is a little under a month from now, Texas Summer Powerfest. I'm competing raw, open division, and looking to qualify for Nationals. I'm on 5/3/1 with 5/3/1 pyramid, joker sets, and big but boring. I haven't really messed with the bands, boards, and chains, but I have been throwing in a lot of strongman work as accessory stuff, and I'm still training the o-lifts at least twice a week.

While true:
Continue
Old 15 June 2015, 10:51
Administrator

What do you weigh and what are you moving for 3 in the 3 main lifts?
Old 15 June 2015, 16:12
I aim to misbehave

I weigh in at 190-ish...3RM without breaking form is about 475 deadlift, 380 squat and 220 bench.

Yeah, my bench is still pretty laughable, but it's improving slowly but surely.

Qualifying total for nationals for my weight class should be 1065, IIRC...and worth noting, I'm not necessarily trying to *go* to nationals this year...just hoping to hit a qualifying total this time up.

While true:
Continue
Old 15 June 2015, 17:13
Administrator

Your squat is not that good either. You should be able to move at least 400 unless you have very long femurs.

As for the bench, You need to start focusing on it more. 220 indicates a lack of strength.

You probably need to up your volume and frequency of benching too.
Old 21 June 2015, 14:11

Deadlift is not too bad, if you can pull 505-515 you're in a decent spot. Squat needs to be 455+.
Bench needs to be at an absolute minimum 275-295.

What kind of volume/frequency are you doing? What is your split?
Old 21 June 2015, 14:58
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Your squat is not that good either. You should be able to move at least 400 unless you have very long femurs.

As for the bench, You need to start focusing on it more. 220 indicates a lack of strength.

You probably need to up your volume and frequency of benching too.
I think my biggest issue with the squat is just re-learning technique. I'm used to squatting high-bar, quad dominant, full range of motion...now I'm trying to learn low bar, wider stance, and only squatting to parallel.

The bench press is definitely a lack of volume...doing the 5/3/1 stuff on a m/t/th/fri split, but with my bench press lagging that far behind, I am thinking of throwing in a second day focused solely on bench press.

While true:
Continue
Old 21 June 2015, 16:12
Administrator

Candidly in the squat strength is strength. The low bar stick your ass out power lifting technique is actually done to help increase leverage and green light a higher squat If you were squatting high bar with heavy weight then you should be hitting higher number on the low bar technique.
Old 21 June 2015, 19:34
I aim to misbehave

For me, it's an issue of trying to 'only' squat to parallel. I end up going 'ass to grass' just out of habit...I can drive the weight up from there, but I understand it can be pretty unhealthy to squat to full depth in a low bar position. I'm probably just going to ditch the 'powerlifter squat' for now and stick with what I am used to.

While true:
Continue
Old 22 June 2015, 01:49

I have squatted well over 455 high bar, and over 500 with a "conventional" stance. You need to learn your bodies angles and leverage points. I have tried wide stance, foot to the rack, and thought I was going to tear my flexors. The amount of volume you can do on a squat day is disgusting, so keep hittig sets.

As for bench, it is hard to tell without seeing form, because I can guarantee that is your problem. My bench for instance is VERY Lat and Rear Delt dominant. Any chance you have pics or vids of your lifts?
Old 15 August 2015, 21:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danheller88 View Post
Deadlift is not too bad, if you can pull 505-515 you're in a decent spot. Squat needs to be 455+.
Bench needs to be at an absolute minimum 275-295.

What kind of volume/frequency are you doing? What is your split?
At 190#'s BW?

Your guys numbers are insane to me.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 16 August 2015, 11:00
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
At 190#'s BW?

Your guys numbers are insane to me.
Why? I'm 195 and right at what he is saying.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 16 August 2015, 20:33
0311/8651

I've mentioned this before-Paul Anderson-came to my sister HS about 1966.
He would warm up with 800# squats, DB press 300+ with ease
I saw him do his table back lift- had an easy 1000-2000# of guys on the table-his record is over 6000#s
Has an Olympic Gold medal 1956,Russia- did all 3 Olympic lifts.
I'm 66, when guys in the gym talk about this of that guy I just smile and think of Paul.
Old 17 August 2015, 13:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Why? I'm 195 and right at what he is saying.
I guess I'm more commenting on the DL.

My bench is close to that and I'm coming off consecutive back and shoulder injuries. Right now I'm benching 265 but have maxed out at 285 before. Never was able to crack 315 before but it's on the goal marker using Wendler.

My squat is sitting at around 305 right now and I know full well why looking at my legs. Other than biking, hiking and running some sprints I've flat out neglected them. I know I can ramp those numbers up some but 445# sure seems like a fuck ton of weight.

As for the DL's though...I've been around some real beasts over the last two decades of my life and I've never seen the baseline lift expectation being 500#'s for a DL. Sure, seen plenty of really strong guys lifting 405 and up but it's pretty rare IME to see guys who are still functional lifting those numbers, as in non powerlifting types who can still run, climb a rope, jump over a wall, get in and out of cars etc.

You guys are pulling some serious weight and more than anything right now I'm trying to break into the 400's. Respect.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Our new posting rules