Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 December 2016, 16:46
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Not just any actor could have tackled the role of Johnny Utah...
Old 8 February 2017, 10:47
Drawing my cutlass

I am seeing the second installment this weekend regardless of whether HH6 wants to come along or not. Everything about it looks badass and its current Tomatometer rating stands at 96%.

I think this would make an excellent choice for a SOCNET meet up movie that is only rivaled by Range 15.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 10 February 2017, 01:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I am seeing the second installment this weekend regardless of whether HH6 wants to come along or not. Everything about it looks badass and its current Tomatometer rating stands at 96%.

I think this would make an excellent choice for a SOCNET meet up movie that is only rivaled by Range 15.
Well I've been stoked on the release of JW2 but just moved to Yuma AZ two was ago and don't know anyone to see it with here (let alone know anyone ) soooo if anyone here is in Yuma that would be down to see it with me ...... I'd be much obligated (and buy beer ) .
Old 10 February 2017, 22:50
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

I saw it this evening and it was very similar to the first one. I think it's definitely worth seeing and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Chapter 3 in the near future.
Old 11 February 2017, 01:00

Opening night here yesterday. Went to see it it with four buddies. Entertaining and plenty of action, realism aside.

However it was worth watching just because Keanu had gone to train with Taran Butler for example and for a Hollywood actor wasnt shooting bad in the training clips.

Most importantly I do not recall him using his celebrity to air out anti gun rhetoric, like many other action movie stars do...
Old 11 February 2017, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I saw it this evening and it was very similar to the first one.
In the end, there is only so much you can do with the John Wick character or the plot of the movie.

You know there's going to be some friction between Wick and somebody or some entity, and that blood will be shed.
Old 11 February 2017, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I saw it this evening and it was very similar to the first one.
In the end, there is only so much you can do with the John Wick character or the plot of the movie.

You know there's going to be some friction between Wick and somebody or some entity, and that blood will be shed.
Old 15 February 2017, 18:20

Watched the first one the other day and saw John Wick 2 last night. It was fucking awesome. If you enjoyed the first, you'll definitely enjoy the second.

I have no military background, and have only owned a firearm for a few years now, so I know nothing more than the basic principles of firearms handling.

That being said, I find myself focusing on all of Keanu's movement and weapons system manipulation, and it looks badass. Every time he moves, it is with purpose and there is no wasted energy.

Of course this is all heavily choreographed, but as others have said, he's received some extensive training.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the shooting experts in the forum regarding how much of what he does is real and how much is Hollywood.

Awesome movie, highly recommend.
Old 16 February 2017, 10:06
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt203 View Post

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the shooting experts in the forum regarding how much of what he does is real and how much is Hollywood.

That's sort of a complicated answer since these days much of what passes for "real" is actually quite Hollywood and unnecessary.

It stems from the fact that there are so many trainers out there that they have to over-complicate things so that they're offering something different and "sexy", when in reality, everyone knows that all good shooting is nothing more than mastering the basics. (Doing the fundamentals faster and better than the other guy.)

Basics = Vanilla. Great shooting is nothing more than really good Vanilla, but Vanilla doesn't sell so everyone has to create their own flavor.

There's a ton of unnecessary nonsense in his weapons handling in the movie. It's not the stupid, obviously-Hollywood stuff, but more the stuff that's passed off as "real" these days.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 16 February 2017, 15:58

You just have to watch John Wick, and movies like it, with a sense of detatchment. Consider Wick and the world he inhabits to be part of a different universe that has nothing to do with our own.
Old 16 February 2017, 20:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
That's sort of a complicated answer since these days much of what passes for "real" is actually quite Hollywood and unnecessary.

It stems from the fact that there are so many trainers out there that they have to over-complicate things so that they're offering something different and "sexy", when in reality, everyone knows that all good shooting is nothing more than mastering the basics. (Doing the fundamentals faster and better than the other guy.)

Basics = Vanilla. Great shooting is nothing more than really good Vanilla, but Vanilla doesn't sell so everyone has to create their own flavor.

There's a ton of unnecessary nonsense in his weapons handling in the movie. It's not the stupid, obviously-Hollywood stuff, but more the stuff that's passed off as "real" these days.
Yep. +1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 February 2017, 22:12

Quote:

That makes perfect sense. Now that you say that, I have definitely noticed a massive influx in the volume of "tactical" courses, instructors, etc...

John Wick certainly differentiated itself from every other shooter type movie and it seems to be working for them.

Thanks for the info!
Old 16 February 2017, 23:18
In Vino Veritas

Saw it tonight, well worth it.
Old 19 February 2017, 23:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Saw it tonight, well worth it.
Agreed. There's so much slaying in that movie, I couldn't help but laugh out loud a few times.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 28 February 2017, 08:56
Authorized Personnel

My wife and I watched it over the weekend. It was good popcorn action flick. My wife asked me if the one handed chamber check was something Hollywood or is it done in real life. I told her both and showed her how to do it on the Glock.

The other thing Wick does is reload using his knee. One handed reload is worth practicing IMHO.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 28 February 2017, 10:41
Violent Social Worker

I almost started clapping in the theater when he did the one handed reload.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 February 2017, 11:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdisembodiedgrlx View Post
soooo if anyone here is in Yuma that would be down to see it with me ...... I'd be much obligated (and buy beer ) .
WTF Socnet? This gets a pass?

ARE YOU HOT?
Old 28 February 2017, 11:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt203 View Post
Watched the first one the other day and saw John Wick 2 last night. It was fucking awesome. If you enjoyed the first, you'll definitely enjoy the second.

I have no military background, and have only owned a firearm for a few years now, so I know nothing more than the basic principles of firearms handling.

That being said, I find myself focusing on all of Keanu's movement and weapons system manipulation, and it looks badass. Every time he moves, it is with purpose and there is no wasted energy.

Of course this is all heavily choreographed, but as others have said, he's received some extensive training.

'Central axis relock', lol. OK. Look, when you get to a certain level of mastery of anything, you can do it however you like, or however works better for you, even if its an aberration from the norm, or even an abomination (see annie oakley or any stunt shooter, or taran butler, the guy looks like he's doing drunken monkey shooting half the time). If you're that 1 in 100k that can dedicate the time and money, and have the natural ability, whatever, knock yourself out. Everyone else can disregard what those freaks do.

I do like the absolute integration betweem gun-fu and 'kung-fu' (hand to hand). It so fluid, and so integrated, not two separate things. They are one, the fight is one.

I LOVE that they rely heavily on judo in these movies. It's awesome. A guy I used to work security with is his stunt double, and they train a lot of judo. There's a post circulating FB now showing KR getting an honorary black belt in judo from a Japanese Olympian. So cool.
Old 28 February 2017, 12:04
Administrator

Quote:

Curious as to what you mean by the stuff that's passed off as real these days. I have only seen the first movie and I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. What I saw was a lot of USPSA-style competitive shooting influence built into the choreography, particularly in the club scene. I guess that is natural considering that USPSA stages are choreographed, even though you are doing your own choreography, combined with the influence of Taran Butler on his shooting.

I guess my point is that while shooting is very "vanilla" as you say (and I agree with that), your point is more applicable to static shooting. Once you throw movement into it, things become more complicated. There is a point of transcending to another level once the shooting part of it becomes instinctual where your conscious brain is focused on your movement and the movement of the bad guys as well. That becomes very apparent in CQB training. Sort of like how when you are shooting multiple targets at full speed you are shooting at one target but your eyes have already left the target that you are engaging and are already on the next target.

Hope that makes sense. Point being that I agree with what you said but 1) there is more to it than that and 2) maybe not everything you may see as unnecessary nonsense is actually unnecessary nonsense. In USPSA style shooting, it is more about getting RID of any unnecessary nonsense, using any available shortcuts (within the rules) and getting rounds on target as fast as possible and as accurately as possible.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 28 February 2017, 20:25
RIP Cass and SOTB

I saw it with a friend the other night (haven't seen the first movie), but I really enjoyed it. Of course it isn't 100% realistic or tactical, but then again what movie is?

I would recommend it to anybody. I give it a 4/5

Our new posting rules