Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 4 November 2014, 04:00

SOC LLC Contract in Africa

Hi, I heard that SOC has a DOS contract in Africa (Central Africa). Does anyone have first hand knowledge of living conditions or any info on this? Thanks
Old 4 November 2014, 09:36
Confirmed User

I know they haven't stood it up yet.

Winston Churchill
Old 5 November 2014, 09:12
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by remr5 View Post
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of living conditions or any info on this? Thanks
LOL, "TIA". This Is Africa. IME don't expect much of anything as far as comfort goes.
Old 5 November 2014, 10:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by remr5 View Post
Hi, I heard that SOC has a DOS contract in Africa (Central Africa). Does anyone have first hand knowledge of living conditions or any info on this? Thanks
5 Star accommodations with a ridiculous gym. Thai masseuses flown in weekly and rumor has it that Bobby Flay's subcontracted to cook for the detail.

Other than that it's pretty much going to be like any other third (fourth?) world country.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 November 2014, 15:27
Testify to the Truth

Someone say Thai?!?!?!
Old 6 November 2014, 19:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
5 Star accommodations with a ridiculous gym. Thai masseuses flown in weekly and rumor has it that Bobby Flay's subcontracted to cook for the detail.

Other than that it's pretty much going to be like any other third (fourth?) world country.
Sad part is, I actually did a SOC contract like that before. Best 4 months of my life. We cried like babies when the contract finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 6 November 2014 at 20:19.
Old 7 November 2014, 03:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LOL, "TIA". This Is Africa. IME don't expect much of anything as far as comfort goes.
The regional corollary to TIA is WAWA - West Africa Wins Again. I have no idea where this SOC deal is but in Africa things often go bad, they go bad fast, and no one is coming help.
Old 7 November 2014, 15:09
Confirmed User

I was at the Embassy in 2012 a few months before it closed down, so I may be outdated here. It's 1960's style construction, with no stand off from the street, It's on the south side of the city, near the Ubangi River. The compound is about 200-300 meters generally square. Ambassador residence and related lodging is a short distance away. Bangui isn't very large, so not a whole lot to do. Hotel Ubangi on the river had decent food, and there are a couple of French expat restaurants in town, and some local nightclubs. Hotel Ledger is the only modern hotel in town, with a upscale restaurant, pool, and bar. The airport was among the most backward I've seen, and they charge you to use the latrine. I can explain inside the Embassy compound better, but for OPSEC probably not best out in the open.
Old 24 November 2014, 16:21
On the Extract Bird

This contract is up and running last time I heard. A friend of mine is getting sent to it and also heard from inside the company.
Old 24 November 2014, 21:31
The Sagacious One

I heard the HQ was at Mt Kenya Safari Club
Old 28 December 2014, 06:48
Confirmed User

Does anyone know if they are doing an internal hire prior to pulling from the outside on this? I have heard yes, but no conformation on this. Also, if you are currently on contract and switch to this company, can they "buy" your clearance out from the current holder for this position? Thanks ya'll. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
Old 29 December 2014, 03:28
Verified SOF

Is this a LGF contract? Does anyone know.. ? I'm assuming as such and if so there's only limited opportunities for US Cits.
Old 29 December 2014, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
The regional corollary to TIA is WAWA - West Africa Wins Again. I have no idea where this SOC deal is but in Africa things often go bad, they go bad fast, and no one is coming help.
Take these quotes to the bank.

Four things are constantly trying to kill you: The environment, the plants, the animals and a lot of the people.

Think very carefully about signing up for this work.
Old 29 December 2014, 10:56
Testify to the Truth

SOC in Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny View Post
Does anyone know if they are doing an internal hire prior to pulling from the outside on this? I have heard yes, but no conformation on this. Also, if you are currently on contract and switch to this company, can they "buy" your clearance out from the current holder for this position? Thanks ya'll. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
I was told from a recruiter and from a few on the ground on BESF that SOC is moving guys over from BESF that want to go or if you speak French, they'll hire you direct for Africa.
Old 29 December 2014, 11:00
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Take these quotes to the bank.

Four things are constantly trying to kill you: The environment, the plants, the animals and a lot of the people.

Think very carefully about signing up for this work.
Hahaha, during a no shit patrol in an African country two NH soldiers were eaten by a frickin' crocodile during a river crossing. A fricking crocodile.

I was in a vehicle roll over in Africa. Had I not had some luck, and cat like reflexes, the nearest medical coverage was over an hour away, something to consider.
Old 30 December 2014, 10:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny View Post
Internal transfers GunBunny. They're back filling with guys already in the pipe CONUS. Not sure about the French speaking part but may be true. All the guys I know on ground there now or heading that way don't speak a spite of French lol.
Old 30 December 2014, 17:17
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularGuy101 View Post
I was told from a recruiter and from a few on the ground on BESF that SOC is moving guys over from BESF that want to go or if you speak French, they'll hire you direct for Africa.
This is true. Buddy and former co-worker is in the pipeline currently due to his language skills.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 20 January 2015, 04:00

If this is the CAR contract, it is a logistics and mentoring contract. Can send me a PM as I am familiar with it.
Old 20 January 2015, 05:38
Confirmed User

No there is a WPS contract there now.

Winston Churchill
Old 20 January 2015, 11:03
Testify to the Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
No there is a WPS contract there now.
Plus two...WPS there now.

Our new posting rules