Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 22 November 2014, 16:29

CCT ANG Assistance.

Afternoon Gents. First time user here. Posted my introduction in the introduction thread. Anyways, I'm a Corporal in the USMC Reserves looking to transfer into the ANG as a CCT. To my knowledge there are only two ANG units that hold the CCT MOS; those being the drill center in Oregon and the drill center in Kentucky.
Now, I've spoken to a couple people at the 123rd Airlift, that being the drill center in Kentucky, and the recruiters have kinda given me the run around. This is no surprise to me as I am used to dealing with recruiters. However, I was finally able to get in touch with a recruiter that gave me another number to the "supposed" CCT recruiter of that recruiting office. I have yet to recieve any reply back from that said recuiter.
I came across this website while I was researching CCT's and after doing a little browsing figured why not ask for a little help. I was hoping maybe one of you guys has a contact at the 123rd Airlift or knows someone who can shed some lite on the process of transferring to a different branch or even general knowledge on the CCT MOS.
Anything would be greatly appreciated gents.

Semper Gumbi,
Dom.
Old 22 November 2014, 18:09
Old and Broke

123rd use to have a 300 N radius for membership. Your profile says NYC, so they may not be interested in you.
I suspect the 125th STS has the same restrictions.

Have you considered Para-Rescue? NYANG has a unit on Long Island.
Old 22 November 2014, 18:39

Well that definitely puts a damper on my chances haha. I hope thats not the case and they give me a chance.
And yea I've looked into both the PJ's and TACP. If it came down to it and I had no way of going for CCT I would go for TACP. To my knowledge they have TACP's in that same drill center in long island as well as one in Syracuse. I guess I just have to wait and see. Hopefully this recruiter gets back to me some time soon.
Old 24 November 2014, 21:41

TACP's in the ANG

Evening gents, currently in the USMCR looking to cross train into the ANG. It was between TACP or CCT and well it seems that I'm to far from the nearest ANG unit, im in NYC and the closest is in Kentucky, to try and go CCT so now I'm shooting for TACP. I have already gotten in touch with a recruiter at the Hancock Field ANG in Syracuse and will be following up with him tomorrow.
I've done my fair share of resarch on TACP's and I have also been on the romad website. One subject that I havent been able to find to much information on is TACP's in the ANG. How training differs from their active duty components? What their drill weekends are like? Do they still only drill once a month or more often than that because of the high demand for TACP's? Do they get the option to deploy or augment with a deploying unit more often than other MOS's?
I'm looking forward to starting this process and to finally get the ball rolling on transitioning into the ANG. Any info would greatly appreciated.

Semper Gumbi,
Dom.
Old 25 November 2014, 19:11
Vivat Fraternitatis

PM inbound.
Old 25 November 2014, 19:30
Been There Done That

Mountainbum,

If your PM doesn't disclose something sensitive you don't want on the open board then answer his question in the open.

In the end this will benefit others as well.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 25 November 2014, 19:34
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Mountainbum,

If your PM doesn't disclose something sensitive you don't want on the open board then answer his question in the open.

In the end this will benefit others as well.
Mixed, just linking him up with an ANG TACP guy I know who can help him out.
Old 25 November 2014, 19:40
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Mixed, just linking him up with an ANG TACP guy I know who can help him out.
Good deal!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 25 November 2014, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
PM inbound.
Much appreciated good sir.
Old 30 November 2014, 03:42
Been There Done That

Question

The 123rd STS still has a 250 mile radius that a unit member must reside in, there are many reasons for this requirement. There are only two units in the ANG that have CCT, KY and OR. OR does not have the 250 mile residence requirement. I can tell you that the 123rd is 100% full on their manning, which may be one reason for their reluctance to coordinate your enlistment.

There are a few questions that have to be asked regarding your wish to attempt the CCT pipeline:

1. Do you just want to be a CCT? If so, the fastest route is active duty, not ANG.
2. Do you care where you live? As detailed above, there are only two states where CCT in the ANG are stationed. Active duty CONUS pluses that up to only a few more; Ft Bragg NC, Hurlburt Field, FL, Ft Lewis, WA, and now Cannon AFB, NM.

For general information about CCT surf on over to www.specialtactics.com.
Old 30 November 2014, 03:47
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Just saw this post after answering your similar one in the CCT forum. The requirements for gaining the TACP MOS/AFSC are the exact same in the ANG and AD. The only differences occur after the training pipeline. Being a reservist you are probably aware of those differences. Yes, you can deploy as a TACP in the ANG. An important fact to remember is that you will NOT become a JTAC immediately after (or during) the TACP selection course and follow-on.
Old 30 November 2014, 10:15
The Sagacious One

Domehue117,

Whomever sees one thread, sees the other.

MERGED.
Old 1 December 2014, 18:56
Marine

No TACPs on Long Island, but there is a unit in Syracuse and one in Atlantic City, NJ. I don't know anyone in Syracuse, although I can get you a POC pretty easily as the LAR company up there knows them well. I do know several folks in the NJ ASOS, as I've worked with them numerous times. PM me if you want more on the NJ guys.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3

Our new posting rules