Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 9 March 2015, 23:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
Is Castle International an effective group to support?
Anyone heard of these guys?

Winston Churchill
Old 11 March 2015, 18:27
Confirmed User

Came across this article today: http://nyti.ms/1AfqKMy

I found the Marine in the story pretty relatable, as far as boredom with civilian life. Some other interesting aspects in this piece too, especially the lack of scrutiny coming back CONUS.
Old 12 March 2015, 03:48
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabasarge View Post
MakoZeroSix, I believe it was Joseph Goebbels who said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Don't worry, you're not alone.

Offtopic : Saba you know who I am and where my loyalties lie .. But for real you aren't helping us, them, or anyone with saying shit like this here and I dont want people to think of posts like this when I post in support of Israel. Common dude. We are intelligent guests here. I know you're smarter / better than this.

On topic:

The Kurds obviously could use the help and are wayyyy behind ISIS when it comes to forigen volunteers - how would you suggest the go about recruiting?

Have they setup official channels to take applications and place people that want to come help / fight?

Would a main website be too much of a target? It would be pretty easy to throw together..

Hell they could also setup independent funding options - lists of items they need - address for individual people to send care packages ...

This modern warfare and I'm very interested in the technical side of it.

- Local
Old 15 March 2015, 01:05
True Origin Not Known

Don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
IIRC, did not Americans join the French in WWI and Brits in WWII? And were there not AmCits that joined the Germans in WWII (of German descent)? At least the Kurds seem to have their shit together.
The American Volunteer Group (Flying Tiger).

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 15 March 2015, 08:21
Confirmed User

I just question how authorities would know whether a guy was going to volunteer with the Kurds or ISIS, if all the had was his travel itinerary, unless they had undercover people in both camps. Then it raises the question of what happens to said people if U.S. interests change in the region, which they commonly due, and now they're categorized as terrorists, or guerillas, or narco-terrorists. Couldn't potentially an ISIS fighter come back, and claimed he was fighting with the Kurds, and get a free pass back into the country?
Old 18 March 2015, 12:07
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
Offtopic : Saba you know who I am and where my loyalties lie .. But for real you aren't helping us, them, or anyone with saying shit like this here and I dont want people to think of posts like this when I post in support of Israel. Common dude. We are intelligent guests here. I know you're smarter / better than this.

On topic:

The Kurds obviously could use the help and are wayyyy behind ISIS when it comes to forigen volunteers - how would you suggest the go about recruiting?

Have they setup official channels to take applications and place people that want to come help / fight?

Would a main website be too much of a target? It would be pretty easy to throw together..

Hell they could also setup independent funding options - lists of items they need - address for individual people to send care packages ...

This modern warfare and I'm very interested in the technical side of it.

- Local
I'll kick in to buy you a planeticket.

I trained you,do me proud.
Old 19 March 2015, 17:46
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'll kick in to buy you a planeticket.

I trained you,do me proud.
Though you and SOW were excellent teachers and if shit went tits up I can certainly manipulate a weapon... I think we both know my place would be with the computer / communication nerds.

playing to your strengths is waaaay more important than needing to feel like a bad ass when I probably have little place on the front lines.

That being said we need to get back at it ASAP - my M4 is waaay too clean (I take it apart and clean it every time I think about you guys) and needs some exercise.

- Local
Old 21 March 2015, 08:03
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
Though you and SOW were excellent teachers and if shit went tits up I can certainly manipulate a weapon... I think we both know my place would be with the computer / communication nerds.

playing to your strengths is waaaay more important than needing to feel like a bad ass when I probably have little place on the front lines.

That being said we need to get back at it ASAP - my M4 is waaay too clean (I take it apart and clean it every time I think about you guys) and needs some exercise.

- Local
Typical civilian,you disappoint me grasshopper.
Old 29 April 2015, 15:47
Confirmed User

I can tell you the lions are currently still around although the ypg is also using another group/means of recruitment as well. In any case Be aware though that from Turkey and some other countries standpoint the ypg is a offshoot/support group of the pkk (ypg leadership is well known to have been with at one point the pkk) the pyd is not much different. That's about the most I have on that. I do have contacts with the ypg.
I can however provide quite a bit of info on the current groups operating in iraq.im at work but when I get off I'll provide a more in depth info on the peshmerga situation.
Shoot me a pm if interested for contact imfo.

Last edited by RedBull; 29 April 2015 at 15:57. Reason: spelling
Old 30 April 2015, 08:37
Confirmed User

Ok so the kurds have 3 main groups that are now or currently have foreigners with them.
The longest being run and coordinated by military combat veterans with the Kurdish PUK. They are called peshmerga frame. (Peshmergaframe.com for more info) They've been boots on ground/in the fight for around 9 months. They've mainly taken only veterans into thier recruitment and have a vetting process to weed out the idiots (they will accept civilians if they have a specialized skillset they need filled).
The second and third group is a new venture that the KDP and KRG are doing. It's fairly new and they are also directly attaching volunteers to kurdish units depending on thier prior military background. Thier vetting is going through a military liason for the KRG out of erbil currently. It's really the first time the KRG and PDK are willfully recruiting and setting up recruits into thier pesh units.
They currently do not have a website as it was decided upon a month ago or so and haven't publicly announced very much on it.
If anyone would like more detailed info on either group for contacts or info on the process/steps shoot me a pm.
Also a new syrian group has popped up with the backing of the YPG leadership called the liberty lions. In essence it's just a re branding of the lions of rojava.

Last edited by RedBull; 30 April 2015 at 08:46.
Old 4 May 2015, 18:57
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
Ok so the kurds have 3 main groups that are now or currently have foreigners with them.
The longest being run and coordinated by military combat veterans with the Kurdish PUK. They are called peshmerga frame. (Peshmergaframe.com for more info) They've been boots on ground/in the fight for around 9 months. They've mainly taken only veterans into thier recruitment and have a vetting process to weed out the idiots (they will accept civilians if they have a specialized skillset they need filled).
The second and third group is a new venture that the KDP and KRG are doing. It's fairly new and they are also directly attaching volunteers to kurdish units depending on thier prior military background. Thier vetting is going through a military liason for the KRG out of erbil currently. It's really the first time the KRG and PDK are willfully recruiting and setting up recruits into thier pesh units.
They currently do not have a website as it was decided upon a month ago or so and haven't publicly announced very much on it.
If anyone would like more detailed info on either group for contacts or info on the process/steps shoot me a pm.
Also a new syrian group has popped up with the backing of the YPG leadership called the liberty lions. In essence it's just a re branding of the lions of rojava.
Wow thanks for the info.

I've been contemplating contacting the Lions of Rojava, or applying for FRAME, probably FRAME because it appears to be decently organized.

My biggest concern is how this would affect my clearance
Old 4 May 2015, 21:08
Confirmed User

No idea on the clearance. Again going to syria to fight for the ypg or any other kurd group there your flipping a coin on them not being recognized as a terrorist org. Which would affect far more then your clearance.
Old 5 May 2015, 18:03
Registered Lurker

Fair enough and very good point

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion would be a better group for a volunteer to join up with at this time? YPG or Peshmerga FRAME? Appears it would be easier for a volunteer to join the YPG and have more freedom with the amount of time they have to volunteer. However, FRAME appears more organized but could be restrictive for some because of the dates they organize for people to come over and now asking for 3 months minimum of volunteer time

(For a volunteer not concerned about the issue we just discussed with the YPG in Syria, or clearances)
Old 5 May 2015, 18:39

"“We do not accept any foreigners joining the peshmerga forces. We are an army, not a militia,” Jabar Yawar, the General Secretary of the Ministry of Peshmerga, told the Guardian last week. "

I realize not everyone trusts the guardian but I believe it's important to realize whether or not the host government even acknowledges you, let alone supports you.
Old 6 May 2015, 08:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarticus View Post
"“We do not accept any foreigners joining the peshmerga forces. We are an army, not a militia,” Jabar Yawar, the General Secretary of the Ministry of Peshmerga, told the Guardian last week. "

I realize not everyone trusts the guardian but I believe it's important to realize whether or not the host government even acknowledges you, let alone supports you.
I can tell you when I was hopping around Erbil in jan/early feb of this year there were some westerners involved directly with the general directorate of ayaish, which pretty much runs the pesh out of erbil. While I don't think you'll see a concentrated effort by the KRG gov to boot or accept foreigners, they are there and the KRG does have a proper application process unlike most of the militias.
Old 6 May 2015, 08:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
Fair enough and very good point

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion would be a better group for a volunteer to join up with at this time? YPG or Peshmerga FRAME? Appears it would be easier for a volunteer to join the YPG and have more freedom with the amount of time they have to volunteer. However, FRAME appears more organized but could be restrictive for some because of the dates they organize for people to come over and now asking for 3 months minimum of volunteer time

(For a volunteer not concerned about the issue we just discussed with the YPG in Syria, or clearances)
Peshmerga frame. They are properly organized, and have got the proper contacts to get a volunteer the proper paperwork filled out with the kurdish gov.
Don't get me wrong, the YPG is not a bad thing, but with the fluidity of how control in areas of syria go back and forth and the merging or stamping out of a lot of the rebel groups, the YPG being a target by both assad and the other hard line groups will only grow. And with kurdistan already having a established government for the most part, there's more of a chance of not being lumped into the terrorist group affiliation.
Old 6 May 2015, 11:41
Confirmed User

If you were to volunteer for the pesh whether it be with frame or another militia or the KRG. They DO NOT need anymore trigger pullers. They need people with skillsets. Anyone can pull a trigger, not everyone can provide first aid, engineering, indirect fire support etc. Which is why in some press releases they are saying they won't accept foreigners as they are not looking for the avg Joe 11b or people who just want to fight.
Old 19 May 2015, 08:49
Confirmed User

Just a update, the frame group is currently restructuring/restructured I do not think they are taking any more volunteers at this point. The KRG is also starting to deal with the foreign fighters in the pesh now by doing checks when they apply for extended visas as well as some other things. And for those wanting to go to rojava with the ypg. The pesh have pretty much closed the border and will not allow westerners across iit like they used to.
Old 2 June 2015, 20:21
Confirmed User

Another update on the ypg/kurdish syrian shenanigans. Last couple days around 35 US, euro union and eastern European volunteers have been dropped off at the border areas wishing to go home (they were given a avg of 1 days ration as well as $500 USD to get home) there's been a massive exodus of westerners from the ypg/ypk/whatever they call themselves now, mainly due(from the ones I've spoke to) tto their inability to coordinate proper troop movements, treatment of foreigners and just a lack of fuck all to the volunteers. Not recommending anyone to go to the Syrian kurd groups.
And most border crossings (read accessible) are still shutdown. The KRG gov isn't to happy about people being dropped off on their borders with no visas/expired visas and or no passports or money either.
Strongly encourage those who are themselves or know others who are thinking of going to syria to think twice. It's not a cakewalk, it's more of a i ate to much foreign food/explosive shits at the moment.
Old 17 June 2015, 05:34
Registered Lurker

Thanks for these updates Redbull

Our new posting rules