Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 17 June 2015, 17:33
Confirmed User

Antime.
Another update:
Samantha Jay thd american who said she was joining the female version of ypg (ypj) she didn't nor has she ever been to syria.
She aligned/is working with a PMC called aptac (aptac.it). While the pmc currently has no krg or iraq sec contracts they are using the war to try to get them. Which they won't atleast in the KRG, as the krg has for the most part shutdown giving licenses to non kurd pmc. Alot of companies are having to JV with kurdish licensees or companies with licensees.

On the syria note: any ypg/ypj westerners coming back to kurdistan from syria are now being given departure visas with either 2 year non reentry or permanent non reentry into kurdistan.
They are coming down hard on syrian volunteers. Also there's been a influx of iranian into ypg (PKK members) which is going to eventually complicate the issue of differentiating ypg from pkk. Which if you know westerners in the Syrian conlfict, now would be the time to tell them to leave. A lot of the long term westerners have left either permanently or for a overdue break. I don't think it will slow their gains or recruitment at all. But the risk for westerners legally is getting greater the more the ypg and pkk assimilate.
That and the ypg is currently in a non conflict agreement with not only the FSA groups, but in some areas the Syrian regime military. It's a complex relationship that will eventually boil over.

And I hate to say it, but the reports are true as far as dearabization(as in kicking Arabs out) of previously kurdish villages. The reports of rape rampages and ethnic cleansing (killing arabs) is happening but not anywhere near the scale of what's being reported and as far as the raping it's being looked down upon and those doing it are being dealt with appropriately. But yes they are dearabizing kurdish villages

Last edited by RedBull; 17 June 2015 at 17:43.
Old 27 July 2015, 18:16
Registered Lurker

With Turkey bombing the PKK in Iraq now, what does that mean for volunteers fighting for them?
Old 11 August 2015, 13:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
With Turkey bombing the PKK in Iraq now, what does that mean for volunteers fighting for them?
I am in the areas that turkey has bombed in iraqi kurdistan. Weve had to take extra precautions as the airstrikes were a little to close for comfort(about 800m away on the day they bombed in Halgurd mtn that killed 25+ pkk) but to be honest turkey I think has so far been good on their Intel.
Unsure on the ypg I'm sure they are being careful not to draw the turkish attention to them to much.
pkk are still massively entrenched in qandil and Halgurd( they've got positions not far from me at. Bout 1km away.)
Don't think they'll hit a jet down but they definitely have portable AA rocket systems.
As for the Lions of rojava they are still around, haven't heard much. Most American volunteers in Iraq kurdistan are south kurd area.
None up here in the mountains with myself.
Old 16 August 2015, 12:07
Registered Lurker

*double post error*

Last edited by Chemical; 16 August 2015 at 12:13.
Old 16 August 2015, 12:11
Registered Lurker

Well I'm glad you've stayed out of harms way so far. Keep on your toes man.

I saw that FRAME dismantled or went away, and foreign volunteers with the YPG are having problems crossing borders. What is the best way now for volunteers to join the Kurds?
Old 20 August 2015, 02:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
Well I'm glad you've stayed out of harms way so far. Keep on your toes man.

I saw that FRAME dismantled or went away, and foreign volunteers with the YPG are having problems crossing borders. What is the best way now for volunteers to join the Kurds?

It's just a rumor but I've heard some of the frame boys jumped ship for some kurdish security/other security jobs. (Its logical as I've gotten a couple offers from kurdish companies as well) The border is getting shutdown and to be honest joining the YPG at this point will land you in a Iraqi kurdish jail cell for 2+ weeks once you come back to kurdistan. And so far they've told the various consulates to shove it when complaints have been lodged.

The KRG is taking a pretty firm stance on the issue with the pyd (ypg) and what amounts to smuggling westerners into a conflict zone. There is still the PUK non krg approved route to volunteer against isis but they are really doing fuck all around Kirkuk and there is becoming issues with westerners being complete cultural fuckups over here. And I know of one who was brought to the erbil airport and given a one way ticket out if the country.

The best way to support the kurds for 99% of those wanting to help is to not come here and be politically active and or join a kurdish movement or group in their respective countries.

For the 1% who have the brainpower to educate and differentiate the various inner workings of the Kurdish struggle there's still ways to come over and help but the Kurdish groups are becoming more wary of volunteers. They don't want all these wild wild west retards over here. Nor are they very open to volunteers coming over here trying to run the show like some have tried.
Old 25 August 2015, 14:56
Been There Done That

Father and 2 Sons Join the Peshmerga

Father and 2 sons, all Marine grunts, join in the fight against ISIS.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/25.../?intcmp=hpbt3
Old 26 August 2015, 06:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/25/father-and-his-sons-take-fight-to-isis/?intcmp=hpbt3
I really hope these guys can grasp the political side and the difference in command and control. Also it's extremely doubtful they will be with the KRG controlled peshmerga. Regardless all the more luck to them and I hope again they avoid dicking things up and get the grasp on things here.
Old 2 September 2015, 12:45
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
It's just a rumor but I've heard some of the frame boys jumped ship for some kurdish security/other security jobs. (Its logical as I've gotten a couple offers from kurdish companies as well) The border is getting shutdown and to be honest joining the YPG at this point will land you in a Iraqi kurdish jail cell for 2+ weeks once you come back to kurdistan. And so far they've told the various consulates to shove it when complaints have been lodged.

The KRG is taking a pretty firm stance on the issue with the pyd (ypg) and what amounts to smuggling westerners into a conflict zone. There is still the PUK non krg approved route to volunteer against isis but they are really doing fuck all around Kirkuk and there is becoming issues with westerners being complete cultural fuckups over here. And I know of one who was brought to the erbil airport and given a one way ticket out if the country.

The best way to support the kurds for 99% of those wanting to help is to not come here and be politically active and or join a kurdish movement or group in their respective countries.

For the 1% who have the brainpower to educate and differentiate the various inner workings of the Kurdish struggle there's still ways to come over and help but the Kurdish groups are becoming more wary of volunteers. They don't want all these wild wild west retards over here. Nor are they very open to volunteers coming over here trying to run the show like some have tried.
god damn it, there's always ate up weirdos that can't go anywhere without fucking things up for everybody. I suppose even tho its all volunteer, the same problems would arise that we see in the contracting world. Some asshat showing up, thinking he's god's gift to the mission, with a million knives on his belt and a hatchet 550 corded to his camel pack. Looking like an ass and making everyone around him look like an ass...

anyway, I still appreciate all your feedback here Redbull. I understand what you're saying.

I'm teaching English to some little kids at a really poor school out here in Thailand. I feel bad for the little buggers, living off rice and with maybe 3 outfits to wear... The school term ends sometime early next month and after that I wanted to come volunteer and join the Peshmerga.

I had thought a lot about it, but just wanted to make sure I do it right if I go. I didn't want to walk in to clusterfuck. So thanks for all your feedback and updates here
Old 4 September 2015, 05:48
Confirmed User

You might have better luck having the 74D background due to the chemical attack/threats now. If you come distance yourself from the big ass western groups. And give it time. If you go through the proper routes (asiayish, ministry of peshmerga) it can take a bit(the asiayish will run a background check/cred check-once you pass they forward it on to ministry of pesh where they say yes or no-then you wait for a uniit to accept you)unless you have some good contacts with a peshmerga soldier or officer as they can then snag you right away after approval.
I highly recommend not doing what the other westerners have done and just go straight into a unit without krg/asiayish approval(it is and does happen which is where your getting all these assclowns over here)

Also if you do pop on up over here, the odds of getting a DoD clearance again is probably slim especially at the moment.

Good news is there are quite a few contract gigs that will be popping up as the economy gets itself balanced out more and more in Kurdistan.(if you dont mind babysitting clueless NGO workers)
Old 4 September 2015, 08:22
Orbi tertio spumae

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/25.../?intcmp=hpbt3
And true to current adventure tourism form their first step in the process was to approach the media.
Old 8 September 2015, 16:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
And true to current adventure tourism form their first step in the process was to approach the media.
They won't be anywhere near the action so to speak. If they are with the PUK they will sit at a defensive line away from the line they are pushing (fall back area) as again they don't know the fucking language. How do they expect to communicate to the other line units on the radio and in person. Hand and arm signals only go so far. If and it's a big if, they pick up the language they might see some action.

There are relatively few actual westerners fighting, most are sitting on their asses doing interviews and building muscle in their dickbeaters. It's just not a risk the Iraqi peshmerga are willing to take as far as direct confrontation/combat with Isis and westerners.

I know of 4 who are actually fighting and it took them months but they learned the lingo as well (excluding myself as I'm with a anti-iranian regime kurdish pesh that are not involved in the ISIS fight due to the amount of iranian Shia military members at the frontlines. )
Old 8 September 2015, 19:06
Newbie shooter

Redbull

Thank you for your updates and insights.

Very interesting reading - I look forward to em every time you post.

- Local
Old 11 September 2015, 18:31
Confirmed User

A little uodate:
Some westerners are seeing limited contact now mainly due to the peshmerga pushing down near Kirkuk. They are still limited on what they do but they are working hand in hand to a extent on operations at the moment.

No real YPG updates, They are slowly getting security propped up in controlled areas, I'm going to assume until Hassaka and tal abyad areas are further secure they will push again. Probably another month or so before the push I'd say.

There are reports of some westerners now with the PKK or attempting to get in on the Turkish issues (non american)
Old 19 September 2015, 06:25
Registered Lurker

Liberty Lions said they are a separate organization from the lions of Rojava
Old 25 September 2015, 16:31
Confirmed User

I have no idea on the liberty lions. I do talk with some of the people who do the recruiting for the YPG, but don't know anything on the liberty lion group.
Old 31 March 2016, 20:49
Confirmed User

RedBull: What's the latest?
Old 4 May 2016, 20:19
Confirmed User

Still alive, just been busy and without a solid internet connection, as I have been up near the Mosul area playing around.

The border is basically shutdown, so the flow of western volunteers is essentially over with for the time being. They(the YPG) still have westerners with them, and are accepting westerners its just impossible to cross the border now, unless a person is willing to cross in at a turkish crossing with one of the christian militias who are fighting with the YPG(not advised)
Old 4 May 2016, 21:02
Violent Social Worker

Good to know you're still upright.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 May 2016, 16:16
Confirmed User

Border is still closed presently. Look to it being opened up late june/early July. It is hinging on right now about basically power sharing and allowing non ypg peshmerga/Kurdish groups to be allowed in rojava (namely the rojava peshmerga)
the KRG,YPG (PYD basically ) have been in talks on the issues.
the border closures are crashing the Syrian Kurdish cantons economy and trade while not really effecting the KRG at all. At some point soon the PYD will have to give into demands and the KRG knows this.

Our new posting rules