Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 2 December 2014, 11:06
RIP SOTB and Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Not to be cynical, but when the troops are all gone, and the Taliban resume taking control of Afghanistan I wonder how many will be sticking around for that pay after the complex attacks start.
The same money can be had working the KBOSSS contract at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait for Triple Canopy. No complex attacks. Actually no attacks at all....

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 2 December 2014, 11:22
Testify to the Truth

A lot of criticism about the pay/salary and yet, they already have more than enough applicants. From a business aspect this is what we call a "slam dunk".
Old 2 December 2014, 15:01
Administrator

Reading through the continual criticisms of jobs and the pay offered would lead one to believe that every person on this site is making 6 figures and employed.
Old 2 December 2014, 15:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Keep in mind, with tax free, living expenses paid for, etc. that salary is much higher than most police officers, EMT/Paramedics, Firefighters, security guards are paid in the USA.
It would be tax free if you don't intend on coming home. Other than that, I'm with everyone else here commenting that this isn't a good deal whatsoever. But mileage obviously varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
The same money can be had working the KBOSSS contract at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait for Triple Canopy. No complex attacks. Actually no attacks at all....
Or, I don't know, in downtown America somewhere. Where you can go home and sleep in your own bed. Yeah, you have to pay rent when you're home but that still beats being in Arifjan or at Dwyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularGuy101 View Post
A lot of criticism about the pay/salary and yet, they already have more than enough applicants. From a business aspect this is what we call a "slam dunk".
Yeah, it's a slam dunk alright. When everything in your life and their life is about the absolute bottomline and the bottomline is $13/hr OCONUS then I'm sure you're just going to get some Allstar MVP quality guys too.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 2 December 2014, 15:58
Confirmed User

My concerns are not about the daily rate. It's the current market rate. I have two concerns:
1. I read the RFI and this contract is only for 10 months(no option period is mentioned). Therefore, one would have to stay out of the US for an additional month at your expense in order to qualify for the Foreign Income Exclusion provision(the 330/365 rule).
2. With a contract for 10 months I really don't see a 21 day vacation being offered to all employees( I could be wrong on this).
Old 2 December 2014, 18:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSchooldropout View Post
My concerns are not about the daily rate. It's the current market rate. I have two concerns:
1. I read the RFI and this contract is only for 10 months(no option period is mentioned). Therefore, one would have to stay out of the US for an additional month at your expense in order to qualify for the Foreign Income Exclusion provision(the 330/365 rule).
2. With a contract for 10 months I really don't see a 21 day vacation being offered to all employees( I could be wrong on this).
I know several good locations in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia where one can chill, relax, live a 4-5 star style life, for under $1,000 month. An option for those considering this type of contract. Do the contract, then fly over to one of these locations, (PM me if interested), and chill out next to a pool, for a month, before heading back to the USA. As I have advised many, weigh what you will spend on a month or two long vacation overseas, versus what you will pay in taxes if come back to the USA early.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 December 2014, 20:27

The pay should be negotiable of course. If not, then it isn't worth it.
Old 2 December 2014, 20:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnt87 View Post
Hmm... no. Most contracts have set budgets for salaries, with little wiggle room. Especially if it is a mass hiring, unlike hiring of a management position - where maybe only a few are hired. This leads me to believe you do not understand how budgets and contractual obligations work.

Of course you are the one to decide if it is worth the salary or not, based on the risk, living conditions, salary, your background, etc.

Oh, and post an intro. Sounds like you have no experience in the overseas contract world.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 2 December 2014, 21:28
Administrator

Quote:
You know what's not negotiable? Complying with the rules.

When you figure that out, come back and tell us how many contracts you've been on where you negotiated the pay. If you haven't then stay out of this thread.
Old 2 December 2014, 21:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Old 2 December 2014, 21:49

Posted my intro. No, I don't have any contractor experience. I just asked my friends who are currently doing it. I was just hoping for a response that would affirm it, lol. Anyway, I can't find much info on this stuff on the net. In a supervisory position, doesn't salary commensurate with experience? I know this job posting in not a supervisor spot, but they offered it to me.
Old 2 December 2014, 22:11
Administrator

Quote:
Posted my intro. No, I don't have any contractor experience. I just asked my friends who are currently doing it. I was just hoping for a response that would affirm it, lol. Anyway, I can't find much info on this stuff on the net. In a supervisory position, doesn't salary commensurate with experience? I know this job posting in not a supervisor spot, but they offered it to me.
I don't have time to dissect your jackassery. Your first post was bad enough, now you post something that is even worse.
Old 2 December 2014, 22:22

I apologize, I did not intend for both posts to seem that way. I thought a quick bio to introduce myself was appropriate. As far as the post on this thread, I just responded in a way I thought would show I messed up and to explain myself. I'm just curious, hoping to get helpful info from fellow veterans.
Old 3 December 2014, 05:35
RIP SOTB and Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
It would be tax free if you don't intend on coming home. Other than that, I'm with everyone else here commenting that this isn't a good deal whatsoever. But mileage obviously varies.
Whether it is because the IRS can't read their own Tax Code or because they are so desperate to bring revenues up can be debated, but some who are claiming the 330/35 benefit are being audited and it's my understanding (from my CPA) that the IRS is trying to apply the standards for claiming foreign residence exemption to the 330/35 foreign income exclusion, ie. you were out of the country for 330+ but you own a house in the US, don't pay taxes in the county you work in etc., so the expected tax benefit may not be there depending on who looks at your return. In other words they are trying to to say that even if you were gone for 330 days or more, you don't qualify based on that and their excuse as to why not is the standards for meeting the foreign residence method of claiming that exemption. Complete BS as anyone who reads the regs can see, but......

Quote:
Or, I don't know, in downtown America somewhere. Where you can go home and sleep in your own bed. Yeah, you have to pay rent when you're home but that still beats being in Arifjan or at Dwyer.
Yup. As noted earlier, if you can arrange to be a security company's "go to guy" for filling in empty shifts/call offs, you will make more at home. No O/T rate at all for hrs over 8 on some gigs, Kuwait law sets it at time and a quarter after 48 hr/week.

Quote:
Yeah, it's a slam dunk alright. When everything in your life and their life is about the absolute bottom line and the bottom line is $13/hr OCONUS then I'm sure you're just going to get some Allstar MVP quality guys too.
Two words, "turnover rate".

A lot of those who get there, especially if they are on their first contract are going to wake up after a month or two and say "Fuck this".

On the DoD contract I was on, the company got all of the money for that employee's contract after 90 days. If that person quits, they now get to recruit someone else, and......so it is to their financial benefit for people to leave early. CSA/Kuwait (KBOSSS before it was KBOSSS, and before TC got it) actively churned their workforce, and benefited greatly by so doing, perhaps 50% of those who showed up last 6 months. If you lasted the whole year, by month 10 there would only be a few people you knew from when you started at a guard mount of 90-100 people.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 3 December 2014, 09:48

Does anybody know what the pay for the Triple Canopy Armed Guard position in Israel is? I imagine it would be similar if not better than the pay for this.
Old 3 December 2014, 11:20
Testify to the Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutsOut View Post
Does anybody know what the pay for the Triple Canopy Armed Guard position in Israel is? I imagine it would be similar if not better than the pay for this.
I know when they starting that project it was about 90K, but you live on the economy with expenses. Very similar to KBOSS. And I believe all R&R travel was at expense too. I remember the grass didn't look much greener for my guards in Helmand at the time.
Old 3 December 2014, 11:57
Confirmed User

When I was overseas, I still have to pay taxes..
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayers-Living-Abroad

An American friend at the World Bank/IMF has to pay quarterly taxes due to the international organization bizarre tax rules.

[QUOTE=MixedLoad;1058439557]It would be tax free if you don't intend on coming home.
Old 3 December 2014, 13:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
When I was overseas, I still have to pay taxes..
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayers-Living-Abroad

An American friend at the World Bank/IMF has to pay quarterly taxes due to the international organization bizarre tax rules.

Quote:
It would be tax free if you don't intend on coming home.
Different case.

Based on the foreign income exclusion of, IIRC, $84k, someone working that particular contract and not returning to the CONUS would be covered and since they'd be making less walk away not paying taxes on their income.

Further, this has nothing to do with reciprocal tax arrangements, for expats living in countries such as Germany etc working for international corporations etc.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 4 December 2014, 08:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Reading through the continual criticisms of jobs and the pay offered would lead one to believe that every person on this site is making 6 figures and employed.
Not where I was going with all this personally, but I'm seriously curious about what I asked.How bad things will get danger wise, and will folks stay?
Old 4 December 2014, 08:26
Confirmed User

Only time will tell I suppose.

Our new posting rules