Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 1 January 2016, 17:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingshadow View Post
...I will always laugh at my battle buddy that got shot in the but while sleeping on duty from a bullet lobbed over the wall.. The point is,,, he walked into the medic tent saying his but hurts and didn't know why...He was a real pain in the ass..
You'll be here all week, we should try the veal?

"battle buddy" certainly was not a term generally carried out of AIT and used. Says a lot.
Old 1 January 2016, 19:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
^It's an Army thing from basic training. At first we said it as a joke, well some of us, it became standard vocabulary for some.
I know what it is.

My point is I see nothing that indicates he ever served. If he didn't, the use of that phrase from a static guard is questionable at best.
Old 1 January 2016, 21:29
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingshadow View Post
So you have options, Stay in America, and struggle, and hope you don't get shot at school, or movie theater, or go overseas, and live a little....with body armor..
...Please stay overseas.
Old 2 January 2016, 00:03
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Here, let me give YOU an aspect.

It's not that we sneer at people who make less than 6 figures. We sneer at people who can't figure out how to make $13 an hour stateside. Like basically you fucking suck as an individual if you can't make that. Go bartend, landscape, wait tables, pick shit up and put shit down at Lowes, ect.

We sneer at people who don't grasp the fact that if you make that little money, You aren't paying any taxes anyway, so you really don't need to be overseas.

Finally, We sneer at people who are so bent on the idea of making money by holding a gun in their sweaty little paws that they are willing to accept austere living conditions, abusive corporations and bosses, and excurtiatingly boring mission sets for shit money.

Go to AR15.Com if you want seek approval from lowlifes who think this is a great deal.
Um you need to work 80hrs/week with the overtime to bring in 50k/year after tax at $13/hr

And you still haven't factored in cost of living and expenses. Which there is virtually none at KAF. Gyms, mwr, dfacs are better than most are used to...

Be realistic, $50k in the bank is like a 70k/year job BEFORE tax stateside. I dont know what the economy is like where you live, but I don't think most guys getting out the services right now are easily finding these $70k/year jobs...

But like I always tell people, if you're too snobby for the easy work on the airfield find something else. If you pee your pants when IDF hits 5 miles away once in a while, you should definitely stay home.

People stateside that work on power lines have it more dangerous than these static guys at KAF
Old 2 January 2016, 02:25
Registered Lurker

^^Of course this is my opinion. That post sounded rude, and I didn't intend it to be
Old 2 January 2016, 11:07
Been There Done That

50 thousand or 100 thousand makes no difference if your only plan is to think I have 100 thousand dollars in the bank . I have known few people who "saved" all their money tax free while overseas working. KAF is okay but when I was there they had the boardwalk, and numerous PXs and stores. Most guys spent money on coffee and chow while there or spent it in the stores buying presents, new kit, or boots or protein powder for the gym, cigars , and liquor. Also many companies require you to take a vacation every so often, you do not have to take it in the states but you have to go somewhere, and it's hard to go anywhere and not spend money. But say you manage to do that and come back state side with 100 in the bank tax free. Well first thing you do is hire someone to file your income tax because even though its tax free you still have to file. Then you need a place to live, food, transportation, medical expenses and you need to start looking for a job to pay those new bills because people burn thru that cash fast trying to live on it and not work. So now you have been out of the US job market for 2 years, and your only "experience" is sitting in a static post pulling guard duty which is not bad experience and literally 10 of thousands of people have done that in the last few years but probably not going to get you hired state side for much. Now you are entering the job market 2 years older and behind your contemporaries and have a dwindling bank account . You are still going to start at a minimum wage job more than likely and the 100 savings account is getting smaller and smaller. If you want to 'Live a little.... with body armor" and have a career you should be in the military , with a retirement and education plan. JMHO
Old 2 January 2016, 11:25
Been There Done That

^ Good advice. If one is overseas for a short time period (1-2 years), saves up that much money, good to invest it in either education or starting up a business. $100K will get you 4 years of tuition, room and board at most state universities. Say for example, using Indiana again as an example, go to Purdue and get an engineering, technology, or agriculture degree - you will be set up. Another good idea is to buy a house, thus having no mortgage - living rent/mortgage free or renting out. A goal should be to be able to live debt free. Make your money work for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 January 2016, 11:45
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapig173 View Post
50 thousand or 100 thousand makes no difference if your only plan is to think I have 100 thousand dollars in the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
A goal should be to be able to live debt free. Make your money work for you.
Stellar advice here.

"Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid off home mortgage is the status symbol of choice."

Back to my lane.
Old 2 January 2016, 11:48
Authorized Personnel

----
Old 2 January 2016, 14:19
Confirmed User

You can drive a truck in the U.S. 12 hours a day6-7 days a week and make that and more, never leave the comfort of America, spend weekends at home, get laid. I couldn't see deploying for a company for that kind of return.
Old 2 January 2016, 19:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapig173 View Post
50 thousand or 100 thousand makes no difference if your only plan is to think I have 100 thousand dollars in the bank . I have known few people who "saved" all their money tax free while overseas working. KAF is okay but when I was there they had the boardwalk, and numerous PXs and stores. Most guys spent money on coffee and chow while there or spent it in the stores buying presents, new kit, or boots or protein powder for the gym, cigars , and liquor. Also many companies require you to take a vacation every so often, you do not have to take it in the states but you have to go somewhere, and it's hard to go anywhere and not spend money. But say you manage to do that and come back state side with 100 in the bank tax free. Well first thing you do is hire someone to file your income tax because even though its tax free you still have to file. Then you need a place to live, food, transportation, medical expenses and you need to start looking for a job to pay those new bills because people burn thru that cash fast trying to live on it and not work. So now you have been out of the US job market for 2 years, and your only "experience" is sitting in a static post pulling guard duty which is not bad experience and literally 10 of thousands of people have done that in the last few years but probably not going to get you hired state side for much. Now you are entering the job market 2 years older and behind your contemporaries and have a dwindling bank account . You are still going to start at a minimum wage job more than likely and the 100 savings account is getting smaller and smaller. If you want to 'Live a little.... with body armor" and have a career you should be in the military , with a retirement and education plan. JMHO
Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that. The only thing you forgot to add to the PX shopping list was the Pakistani pharmacy shopping list of "HGH, Winstrol, Deca, valium, percodan, and garbage can sized cannisters of NoExplode" in addition to "gigantic Plasma TVs, Xboxes, hundreds of DVDs and couches and christmas lights to decorate your room, t-shits that say MERCENARY on them..."

You know what kids: if you don't want to take our advice, fine. Knock your bad selves out. When you come back to reality with no marketable skill sets, don't come on here begging us to help you get a real job that you can actually have along with a normal life, and a wife and children.
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 2 January 2016, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
You know what kids: if you don't want to take our advice, fine. Knock your bad selves out.
... and keep in mind: You'll be working with a bunch of guys who didn't take our advice either.
Old 2 January 2016, 21:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLasagna View Post
... and keep in mind: You'll be working with a bunch of guys who didn't take our advice either.
Word.

I will add that the best thing that ever happened to me proffesionally was when the day I graduated Triple Canopy's WPS course, they lost the contract to Blackwater. So I didn't get my $750 a day job, which bummed me out at the time. But it was then I made the decision to take the path less traveled, which turns out to be Intelligence rather than trigger pulling, and that has made all the difference...
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 2 January 2016, 22:45
Been There Done That

^Ironically the same thing happened to me with T/C - and sent me down a much more rewarding path.

One does need to remember in the contract world, whether it is $50K a year, or $750 a day gigs is that one should treat every paycheck as their last one.

When I was running a large scale security project in Iraq, we had about 20 Americans (working for one of my subcontractors) show up to field two additional teams. Paying around $15k a month, and expecting to work 1-2 years. Many of them left decent civilian jobs. Sure enough, about a month later the Prime Client/DOD came down and said budget has been cut since reduction in the need. So you only now need 8 teams, not 10. So all these guys that had only been on site for about a month, lost their job. Due to budget constraints, yet still needing manpower had to replace some of them with Nepalli Gurkhas (that were made $3K a month). Many pissed at me that I had to send them packing, but it is what it is. No money from above = no work. Policies, contracts, politics, leadership change all the time.

Every paycheck is your last paycheck. Never a guarantee the job is going to go on and on and on. Doing contracting is feast or famine. So have a plan for the lean months and learn to live with it.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 3 January 2016, 09:09
Administrator

I'm still waiting for a response to my post about battle buddy. How about everyone else chill out until he returns and explains the context?
Old 3 January 2016, 19:16

getting a little intense in here. Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents..

there's no promises or guarantees in contracting. It's a volatile world and you can lose your job the next day if the powers that be can save some money cutting a contract.

Many people, including myself, werent given very marketable skill sets to live off of in the civilian world during our military time, so we turn to contracting to make some money. The best thing, IMO, is to start investing your money or get some online classes knocked out towards a degree, or both.

Contracting wont last forever. Feast or famine is right, and the hey days high paying blackwater cowboy shit is long gone. Get what you can while it's still around and do something smart with the money. Doesnt matter if it's a static KAF job making 50K or doing NSD/WPS/PSS for over 150K.
Old 3 January 2016, 19:23
Administrator

tick, tick, tick....
Old 3 January 2016, 22:35
???

Deleted per above post.

Last edited by Chemical Cookie; 3 January 2016 at 22:37. Reason: SB's post
Old 4 January 2016, 22:23
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Quote:

At the end of the day, rather than fucking about for peanuts, risking their life for a sum of 50K the time is better spent building a solid career to carry them through real life.
Man, you sold out. You used to be OAF and now you sound just like "The Man"...

"The war's over John"- Col. Trautman...
Old 6 January 2016, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I'm still waiting for a response to my post about battle buddy. How about everyone else chill out until he returns and explains the context?
Oh Silverbullet you had to open up a can of worms....If I use a military term it's because I spent a lot time working with the military. I do consider myself a quiet professional, Why? Because I do my work in a quiet and professional manner. My reference for battle buddy is loosely used for my teammate that I worked with on my last contract. I didn't mean any disrespect, because I never served in the military. I just used it because me and my teammate did become great friends, and did all our assignments in full body armor, unlike some contractors who think they are bulletproof.

Quote:

It's not that we sneer at people who make less than 6 figures. We sneer at people who can't figure out how to make $13 an hour stateside. Like basically you fucking suck as an individual if you can't make that. Go bartend, landscape, wait tables, pick shit up and put shit down at Lowes, ect.
The mentality that I entered this contracting world when i got my clearance, was If you aren't making 6 figures,it was sneered at and that you fucking suck.
My third contract, we were all making 6 figures, and still people where like, "I need something that pays more", and spent most of their time looking for other contracts. which sums up what everyone is saying collectively here, find that stepping stone. To all those guys that wasted there money, well, you can't fix stupid. After five years of contracting I paid off my parents house, my house, my vehicle, my sisters vehicle, and my dads vehicle. And then I went to a commercial dive school so I could make a six figure income, which i did, but now half the gulf is closed down, and I'm sitting on the beach, looking for other work... Adapt and overcome...Oops, is that another military term?

Our new posting rules