Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 13 February 2015, 12:25
Confirmed User

Getting fit and healthy-need running advice

I am one of those fat civilians you guys detest. A recent trip to the doctor for pre-surgery clearance was a kick in the gut. Seeing 361.2lbs on the scale was a wake up call I've been hitting snooze on for a few years. At 42yo with three kids it was well passed the time to get healthy.

Sometime around 2007 I went from 350 to 225 over a year's time as a result of a pre-adoption physical. A few years after that I had a hip replacement got lazy, reverted back to unhealty ways. It never stopped from doing things, just from doing them the way I wanted to.

SOTB's thread got me thinking about ways to counteract the effects of sitting at a desk. I don't have the intense stare down, but spend most of the time standing at my desk, or using a yoga ball instead of a chair.

A friend convinced me to do the AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge of which I am on day 20. Since December I am down to 319lbs.

I am working out every morning and set a goal to run a 5K in October. Here is where I need help. I hate running. Most of my cardio is on the ellipitcal. Last week I started jogging on treadmill, last night I ran the first mile I've run since high school. Short of just running, can you offer any running tips.

Thank you for any tips, and for indulging me.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:00
Confirmed User

Monitor everything you eat, use free apps such as myfitnesspal, and others...it may be extreme but what personally what worked for me was to actually use a digital scale (you can get it from walmart for $17.99-$19.99) to weigh out your food....If that is too extreme, just try to track your portions. Walking to moderate jogging (and by this I mean no disrespect) because of your weight IMO is the best exercise..In addition, add in weight training like yesterday. IMO (this is just me) learn the basics of weight lifting...

When you feel more comfortable jogging, take notice of your strides, are they short strides which tire you out more...one of the most important things for me (when I was in the high 200s) was to control breathing (yes I know it sounds gay) but instead of taking short gasping breaths, learn to take deeper controlled breaths.

LIke I said, this is only from things that I have learned from when I dropped 50 + lbs....The exercise is absolutely important but keeping track of what you take in is critical since it is calories in vs calories out for dropping weight. I will be glad to help you out in PMs to figure out your calorie intake and such if you need assistance.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:06
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I am one of those fat civilians you guys detest.

Short of just running, can you offer any running tips.

Thank you for any tips, and for indulging me.
LOL, it's not exclusive to civilians. There are plenty of fat fucks in the .mil too. Which IMO is way worse because they signed a contract saying they'd stay in shape. But I digress...

At your weight I wouldn't be running much if at all yet. That is a lot of stress on your knees and back. You're asking for an injury and then a set back. Personally I'd stay on the elliptical until you drop more weight. What you can do though to break it up is do a bike and/or swim. Also I'd add some interval training. That is probably the best thing you can do to jump start your metabolism. An example would be a 10min warm up and then 1min on (hard) 1min off (recovery) x10 with a 10min cool down. Add 30sec each week until you get to 5min and start dropping your rest time.

What you left out was your height. 319 on a 6'6" frame isn't as bad as 319 on a 5'7" frame Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:13
Authorized Personnel

Couch to 5K - download the app for $1.99. Do the 3 workouts per week and walk for 60-90 min at a moderate-fast pace on your off days. It makes it very easy to do the 20-30 min run /jog / walk workouts to build you up to running.

Stretch.

Do all 9 weeks of the Couch 2 5K program... even if you feel like you can run 5 miles. Sounds like a injury would take you out of the exercise loop for a while so be careful and take your time. Oct is plenty of time to do it right.

The second portion is diet. I don't know how tall you are, but if you're over 3 bills, you need to examine your diet. I use myfitnesspal to track my food intake - use something like that. don't cheat. just weigh your food, track it, see how many calories you are taking in and what their break down is carbs / fat / protein. Then... start turning the knobs and adjusting things.

You want to run? lose weight. that shit gets a lot easier on your body & joints if you weigh less. trust me.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:16
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
Monitor everything you eat, use free apps such as myfitnesspal, and others...it may be extreme but what personally what worked for me was to actually use a digital scale (you can get it from walmart for $17.99-$19.99) to weigh out your food....If that is too extreme, just try to track your portions. Walking to moderate jogging (and by this I mean no disrespect) because of your weight IMO is the best exercise..In addition, add in weight training like yesterday. IMO (this is just me) learn the basics of weight lifting...
Spot on. In my opinion fitness is 90% diet. I weight my portions daily and log them. Once you see exactly what you are eating and the carbs/cals you're in taking you'll have accountability of what you're doing. Add to that big compound lifting. Something like Starting Strength should be perfect for you.

Also look at eat to performs calculator http://www.eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/ Until last year I had an issue with not in taking enough cals a day. I was at like 2400 (RMR of about 2000 cals) and working out three times a day. I went up to about 3200-3500 and changed my body fat composition from 18% BF to about 15%. At your weight all you have to do is make a few tweaks and you're going to drop weight easy. It's once you get to within 50-20 lbs if an acceptable weight that you'll start to slow down
Old 13 February 2015, 13:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Spot on. In my opinion fitness is 90% diet. I weight my portions daily and log them. Once you see exactly what you are eating and the carbs/cals you're in taking you'll have accountability of what you're doing. Add to that big compound lifting. Something like Starting Strength should be perfect for you.

Also look at eat to performs calculator http://www.eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/ Until last year I had an issue with not in taking enough cals a day. I was at like 2400 (RMR of about 2000 cals) and working out three times a day. I went up to about 3200-3500 and changed my body fat composition from 18% BF to about 15%. At your weight all you have to do is make a few tweaks and you're going to drop weight easy. It's once you get to within 50-20 lbs if an acceptable weight that you'll start to slow down

I was definitely going to recommend 5x5, yet one thing I would caution on that (steve..if you go that route)....to learn to deadlift and squat properly. I find Mark Rippletoe's videos on this subject on point...just my 2 cents.
Old 13 February 2015, 14:31
Confirmed User

Thanks for the responses. I am 5'11". My workout includes 20 min elliptical to warm up. 40 minutes weight training and 20 min elliptical with varied resistance. My job requires me to be at a desk, I have made it a point to get up and walk, with the goal of 10,000 steps a day on the pedometer. The jogging has been short strides, more of an exaggerated walk at a speed of 3.7mph on the treadmill.

I use MyfitnessPal to track my caloric intake. I weigh and measure all potions and have cut out all processed food, swtiched from dairy to almond milk, grains like Ezekiel for bread instead of wheat and flour.

I am following a plan of 4-6oz of protein, serving of high fiber fruit/vegetable, and a complex card for breakfast and lunch, mid morning and afternoon snack consisting of a healthy fat, and veggie or fruit, dinner is a protein (venison, turkey, chicken) and fresh or frozen veggies.

Beverages consist of about 150oz of water, with the occasional shot of Mio for flavor.

I set a personal goal weight of 200lbs. Ultimatley I want to be in good enough shape to accompany my son to Philmont Scout Ranch, he is an 8yo Cub Scout so this is a few years out. Short term goal is to beat the time around the bases of the three of the players on my daughter's travel softball team, which I am the coach.
Of course the main goal is to surpass my dad who passed at 62yo, and be an active part of my kids' and future grandkids' lives.
Old 13 February 2015, 14:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
and a complex card for breakfast and lunch, mid morning and afternoon snack consisting of a healthy fat, and veggie or fruit, dinner is a protein (venison, turkey, chicken) and fresh or frozen veggies.
Good. You address breakfast. Breakfast is important. I didn't eat Breakfast from the time I got out of the military until my wife moved in with me last year. She eats breakfast every day and now I do too. Cereal, Oatmeal, eggs and bacon.

I actually lost weight even though I'm eating more.
Old 13 February 2015, 14:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Good. You address breakfast. Breakfast is important. I didn't eat Breakfast from the time I got out of the military until my wife moved in with me last year. She eats breakfast every day and now I do too. Cereal, Oatmeal, eggs and bacon.

I actually lost weight even though I'm eating more.
I've found if I make a smoothie with almond milk, frozen berries, whey, and oatmeal. Weekends have been the biggest challenge since I typically make my wife breakfast, pork roll, cheese omelettes, etc... they have been replaced with egg white omelettes of green pepper, onions, and veggie cheese, and sweet potato hash browns all cooked in no fat spray instead of butter.

As a punishment for letting myself go, and reward for achieving the goal. I am swearing off alcohol until I hit 225lbs. This will be put to the test on my next business trip. My client is a railroad and those boys can drink.
Old 13 February 2015, 15:11
Confirmed User

elliptical is great, consider stairs and wading workouts in a pool.
consider low or no impact until 225.

Did Philmont twice! an excellent goal/reward!
Old 13 February 2015, 15:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am 5'11". My workout includes 20 min elliptical to warm up. 40 minutes weight training and 20 min elliptical with varied resistance. My job requires me to be at a desk, I have made it a point to get up and walk, with the goal of 10,000 steps a day on the pedometer. The jogging has been short strides, more of an exaggerated walk at a speed of 3.7mph on the treadmill.

I use MyfitnessPal to track my caloric intake. I weigh and measure all potions and have cut out all processed food, swtiched from dairy to almond milk, grains like Ezekiel for bread instead of wheat and flour.

I am following a plan of 4-6oz of protein, serving of high fiber fruit/vegetable, and a complex card for breakfast and lunch, mid morning and afternoon snack consisting of a healthy fat, and veggie or fruit, dinner is a protein (venison, turkey, chicken) and fresh or frozen veggies.

Beverages consist of about 150oz of water, with the occasional shot of Mio for flavor.

I set a personal goal weight of 200lbs. Ultimatley I want to be in good enough shape to accompany my son to Philmont Scout Ranch, he is an 8yo Cub Scout so this is a few years out. Short term goal is to beat the time around the bases of the three of the players on my daughter's travel softball team, which I am the coach.
Of course the main goal is to surpass my dad who passed at 62yo, and be an active part of my kids' and future grandkids' lives.
A paleo-ish diet will drop the weight quickly and is something you can maintain. Getting rid of the carbs really is the key, or at least keeping them very low. Staying away from sugar will also drop the weight. Fruit is very high in sugar and isn't necessarily something you need in your diet, especially trying to lose a lot of weight.

I would just eat whole foods, real food. As clean as possible. Don't eat your carbs in the morning - save them for later in the day, if at all.

You can take grass fed butter / Irish Butter, and put that in your coffee in the morning. This is high in saturated fat, which is good for you. If you eat carbs in the morning, you will crave them all day.
Old 13 February 2015, 15:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_For_A_Client View Post
carbs in the morning - save them for later in the day, if at all.

You can take grass fed butter / Irish Butter, and put that in your coffee in the morning. This is high in saturated fat, which is good for you. If you eat carbs in the morning, you will crave them all day.
Thanks for the tip. I don't drink coffee, and since I stopped drinking soda years ago,and recently cut out sweet tea the only thing I drink is water.
Old 13 February 2015, 15:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I don't drink coffee, and since I stopped drinking soda years ago,and recently cut out sweet tea the only thing I drink is water.
Well I think I found your problem. Coffee is a gift from the Gods. Water will rust your insides. Seriously, coffee can keep the cravings down and will give you something to "snack" on instead of food. And the caffeine will help your strength and conditioning. And there are pretty much no calories in it. Yes I am a coffee addict. You could go with tea also.
Old 13 February 2015, 15:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Well I think I found your problem. Coffee is a gift from the Gods. Water will rust your insides. Seriously, coffee can keep the cravings down and will give you something to "snack" on instead of food. And the caffeine will help your strength and conditioning. And there are pretty much no calories in it. Yes I am a coffee addict. You could go with tea also.
I've found I have more energy from working out than I ever received from caffeine. I tried coffee a few times and it flushed me voilently. My dad(a former Marine) used to jokingly question my DNA because I didn't drink at least two pots of coffee a day.
Old 13 February 2015, 16:00
Confirmed User

What are you doing with your off time? Is it watching TV? I have young kids and I know it makes a big difference for me if we just go to a park, where I do little physical activity, versus throwing a kid on my back and hiking after the other on his trike for an hour.

Workout and definitely diet are factors, but I'd also look at the lifestyle choices. I struggle with these things too, especially during daddy daycare time, and applaud your effort.
Old 13 February 2015, 16:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
A paleo-ish diet will drop the weight quickly and is something you can maintain. Getting rid of the carbs really is the key, or at least keeping them very low. Staying away from sugar will also drop the weight. Fruit is very high in sugar and isn't necessarily something you need in your diet, especially trying to lose a lot of weight.
What he said - I think your diet is great for maintaining a healthy life style, but for dropping weight? FUCK THOSE CARBS! They are the devil.

Green leafy vegetables and lean protein.

Here is an example of one of my breakfasts:
375 Calories - 50g protein, 29g carbs.

1/2 cup of organic plain yogurt (I actually weigh it, trying to measure yogurt by the cup is a pain in the ass)
1 T chia seeds (if not, there isn't any fiber in my diet until lunch)
1/4 - Nature's Valley Protein Granola
1 Scoop protein powder (I have an assortment of "flavors" - I use this with the plain yogurt 1) for flavor and 2) to deliver more protein dense calories into my diet)
Now... I didn't start that way. I started with flavored greek yogurt and a scoop of granola (thinking, hey, higher protein and some complex carbs). Then I looked at how high that was in carbs - switched the type of yogurt, switched the type of granola, reduced the amount of granola, replaced it with chia seeds and powder, etc.

After my morning workout I will have a protein shake as a "snack" along with my vitamins.

So before noon, this is what my diet looks like. Through the day, I will have more carbs and end up targeting 30/30/40 (carbs, fat, protein) but I get there w/ out trying. Everything seems to have a lot of carbs in it... so I just work on suppressing the damn things and then it works out ok in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4283.PNG (60.6 KB, 513 views)

Last edited by GackMan; 13 February 2015 at 16:33.
Old 13 February 2015, 16:33
Confirmed User

Another thing that I learned in a nutrition seminar is fasting. On certain days, don't eat anything at all after your dinner, nor for breakfast after you wake up, until lunch the next day. Some people do that a couple or more times per week and apparently get good results. Something about controlling your insulin levels and other things that are way over my head.

I haven't tried it because I'm currently trying to eat everything I can cram into my body, and fasting defeats the purpose.
Old 13 February 2015, 17:58
The Sagacious One

Steve,

Despite my uncanny ability to run further and faster than guys like Hot Mess, I fight with my weight and mostly due to diet. Try to eat food as close to it having been alive as possible to maximize the nutrients you receive.

Google The Gabriel method, he has great guidance on nutrition. I would ask that at least buy the Book by Pavel on Kettle Bells. Its much less stress on your joints, better fat burn, and takes less time.

You can get it on Kindle. The best one to start with is called Simple and Sinister.

Good Luck
Old 13 February 2015, 18:05
Spice Weasel

Don't go hungry. Drink lots of water and eat food that fill your stomach (like greens). Eat a reasonable amount of good fat. Decrease simple carbs like sugars and don't drink your calories. Work your core a lot (what TFG said).
Old 14 February 2015, 02:32
In Vino Veritas

Quote:

I would just eat whole foods, real food. As clean as possible. Don't eat your carbs in the morning - save them for later in the day, if at all.

Anything would drop weight quickly right now. I used to be a no carbs person and recently (last year) went from <100 a day to 230+ a day and it has made a positive difference. Don't eat carbs after 5, don't eat carbs when it 50% humidity out, don't eat carbs or G.W. Bush kills babies... At the end of the day try it and see what it does for you.

LOL, this whole butter in coffee thing is a bit of hog wash. It has to be a certain type of coffee, a certain type of butter, and the results are negligible.

Quote:
Coffee in general does have some benefits. I wouldn't worry about it being a diuretic unless you're drinking a keg of it, which you're not.

Quote:
Another thing that I learned in a nutrition seminar is fasting. On certain days, don't eat anything at all after your dinner, nor for breakfast after you wake up, until lunch the next day. Some people do that a couple or more times per week and apparently get good results. Something about controlling your insulin levels and other things that are way over my head.

I haven't tried it because I'm currently trying to eat everything I can cram into my body, and fasting defeats the purpose.
I'm not sold on this whole fasting craze just yet. Always remember that the fitness industry in the USA is worth BILLIONS, and far be it from me to suggest some people might be unscrupulous in the information they put forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Steve,

Despite my uncanny ability to run further and faster than guys like Hot Mess, I fight with my weight and mostly due to diet. Try to eat food as close to it having been alive as possible to maximize the nutrients you receive.
Right now I couldn't run to the hauptbahnhof and back without being winded

Steve,

It sounds like you are doing the right things and are on the right track. Good luck and keep it up!

Our new posting rules