Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 14 February 2015, 04:44
Another pool cleaner

One thing about fitness, food, and fat-fighting: make sure it is something that you can do for the long haul.

Being burned out from "whichever-plan-you-picked" in a few short months can lead to a yo-yo plan which is a no-no.

It's all about changing your lifestyle and your habits.

Make it enjoyable, make it last.
Old 14 February 2015, 07:46
Confirmed User

The "no carbs" thing is bro science. .unless you have an actual allergy to it. Carbs calories are the same as protein. Try eating more complex carbs which will give you slow released energy instead of simple. I would bump the protein up to at least as a minimum .8g/lb. Make it a lifestyle not diet.
Old 14 February 2015, 08:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
One thing about fitness, food, and fat-fighting: make sure it is something that you can do for the long haul...It's all about changing your lifestyle and your habits.
This. You didn't put on the weight and get out of shape in six months, so don't try to take it all off in six months. Make changes you can live with long term. Congratulations on your changes so far.
Old 14 February 2015, 09:35
Confirmed User

"Progress not Perfection" Small sustainable consistent changes to behavior. Don't diet....just change what you eat.
Old 14 February 2015, 20:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
What are you doing with your off time? Is it watching TV? I have young kids and I know it makes a big difference for me if we just go to a park, where I do little physical activity, versus throwing a kid on my back and hiking after the other on his trike for an hour.

Workout and definitely diet are factors, but I'd also look at the lifestyle choices. I struggle with these things too, especially during daddy daycare time, and applaud your effort.
I coach softball, in the winter we have two practices a week. One at local gym for strength and conditioning. I have free roam of the gym so I get in a night workout in addition to my 4AM workout at home. This is the sad part, I have an elliptical, treadmill and weights. They've been basement furniture for a few years.

I am also the Cubmaster of my son's Cub Pack, and Asst. leader for my daughter's Venturing crew.

Weekends are spent doing a combination of the above, and my daughter's lacrosse games.

My wife and I catch about an hour and a half TV time a night after the kids go to bed, and before we turn in for the night at 10PM.

She is doing this with me as well, so we can lean on each other. We've learned to shop only the perimeter of the supermarket.

Thank you for all of the advice and encouragement.
Old 14 February 2015, 22:17
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Right now I couldn't run to the hauptbahnhof and back without being winded
The Hauptbahnhof in FFM is an excellent place to burn calories.

Quote:
Steve,

It sounds like you are doing the right things and are on the right track. Good luck and keep it up!
Ditto. One thing you may want to look into is called "Eat To Perform". There's a very active forum and you can join the extreme fat loss group. The moderators there can help you dial in your macros and you'll find it incredibly motivating and educational.

All things considered, you're doing the right thing and I'm going to challenge you to post here once a week and give us an update. Discipline and accountability are two of the best things you can develop at this point in time.

And if SOTB, who is well on his way to becoming a waif, can find motivation here, so can you.

Make your luck.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 15 February 2015, 04:44
Confirmed User

Steve, I have nothing to add other than good on you for making the change and good luck.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:27
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
The "no carbs" thing is bro science. .unless you have an actual allergy to it. Carbs calories are the same as protein. Try eating more complex carbs which will give you slow released energy instead of simple. I would bump the protein up to at least as a minimum .8g/lb. Make it a lifestyle not diet.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "bro science" totally. I read a book, "Slow Burn", written by an ultra marathon runner who advocated eating no carbs. I followed his diet which had no sugars as well and totally changed my body composition. I had a tremendous amount of energy and was in great shape. Of course I was 29 and getting ready for selection.

But on the whole I would say yes, eat carbs. That is how I went from 18% BF to 15% BF without changing the amount of times I was working out nor intensity.

Also concur with your last statement. You have to be in it for the long haul and it has to be sustainable. A diet isn't something you do, it is just what you eat.
Old 16 February 2015, 04:36
Been There Done That

Steve, you're getting some very good advice here. Just to ram it home on what Hot Mess and other say, (and I can't stress this enough) body composition is 80-90% DIET. That is, the 90% that isn't genetics. Unless you're doing Ironman training, the impact of exercise on your composition is going to be very low--especially at your composition--sorry if the truth hurts.

Just run some metrics on jogging 3 miles a day vs cals in/cals out. Compare that to skipping the sour cream and Dove Bar. By all means, exercise--I'd take the heavy lifting advice to heart (get the book Starting Strength.) Do some walking. Don't run at your weight.

Here's what's helped me: Do the math on your food intake. I limit myself to single-ingredient foods. Steak/chicken/fish/pork and potatoes and vegetables and bread. Carbs get a bad rap but if you lift it's hard without them. Once you figure out 8 oz of pork loin = X and 1/2 pound of potatoes = Y you get to the point that you can self-regulate very rapidly.

I don't eat things like lasagna/burgers/pizza etc anymore. Well, I'm disciplined about it, and I'm 90% compliant to the single ingredient thing. Once you get it down, stuff like sushi and salads with meat are pretty easy to figure out and work in. Supreme pizzas, not so much, but one burger and half a pizza a month are pretty easy to fit in without dire consequences.

My short response: Diet the weight off, lift heavy and briskly walk a lot. Start the running once you get down closer to your goal weight. I'm 5'11", 210# down from 233 on Thanksgiving. Goal is 198 by St. Pat's.
Old 16 February 2015, 07:37
Another pool cleaner

Murph, that goal is very doable. Good on ya.
Old 16 February 2015, 08:10
Authorized Personnel

Steve,
Looks like you have a good start and all the good advice here will help you keep going. The only thing I can add is to be consistent. It matters what you do over the long hall, to go like hell for a month and burn out does not achieve the results. I dropped from 218 to 200 for my 50th birthday by being consistent with my eating plan and keeping to my regular workouts. It took less than six weeks.

Good Luck,

CG
Old 16 February 2015, 14:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Anything would drop weight quickly right now. I used to be a no carbs person and recently (last year) went from <100 a day to 230+ a day and it has made a positive difference. Don't eat carbs after 5, don't eat carbs when it 50% humidity out, don't eat carbs or G.W. Bush kills babies... At the end of the day try it and see what it does for you.

LOL, this whole butter in coffee thing is a bit of hog wash. It has to be a certain type of coffee, a certain type of butter, and the results are negligible.
Nah. Any coffee you want. But grass-fed (Irish) butter, which you can get at most any grocery store. It's really no different than putting heavy whipping cream in your coffee. It's just a source for good fat intake.

Obviously everyone's different, but I've been experimenting with carbs. I was on a palo-ish diet with carbs at least below 100 grams. I was losing weight, including muscle. I was getting lean and my endurance was good.

I am now training for a strongman event, and the guy I'm training with, who has a 650 pound squat, told me that he must up the carbs and sugar to gain muscle and that although he gets healthy and lean on a paleo diet, he will lose muscle/strength regardless of his workout regimen and protein intake.

So I decided to reinsert carbs and sugar while still eating the same amount of fat and protein. And sure enough, my back squat went from 400 to 420 in two weeks of eating that way, front squat from 300 to 335. PRs in other lifts as well. Just this morning, I had to tighten my weightlifting belt a notch, despite the scale showing 5 pounds heavier. That is probably eating 3,500 to 4,000 calories per day. So at least now I know that, for my body, if I want to lose weight, cut the carbs. Gain muscle? Eat the carbs, but keep the calories high with other good stuff as well.
Old 16 February 2015, 19:18
Confirmed User

The truth can't me anymore than I've hurt myself. Call it as you see it.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, I will report weekly.

We just had pizza for the first time in three weeks. It was homemade with cauliflower crust, low fat no dairy cheese, and sugar free sauce. It needed a fork to be eaten because I messed up the directions but it was good.
Old 17 February 2015, 15:15
BTDT

My recco is the same as posted in SOTB's thread:

Figure out your Caloric TDEE on iifym.com

Be honest about your activity level - I'd personally only count anything with prolonged elevated heart rate - lifting with 2 minute rest periods between sets, I wouldn't count.

Go "Agressive" That should give you a 500kcal deficit.

Now figure out the EXACT number of Calories you throw down your throat every day. I personally, in the beginning like to gather together a nutrient dense daily meal plan - and then eat the same damn thing, every single day. This way, you know exactly what is going in. I also prefer pen and paper over apps, but both of those are personal preferences and depend on what works best for you.

I'd Recomp. Fat guys (I was one too) can get away with a ton in the muscle building department while in a caloric deficit. All those Triglycerides are 9kcal/gram of energy! A cut would be faster, but you sacrifice muscle/ strength. A recomposition only sacrifices speed - which doesn't matter in this case. This is a marathon - go for 1-2lbs a week fat loss (as measured by tape or caliper) and train like a lifter.

Keep cardio to around 30 minutes. I'd forget HIIT and just do Low to Medium Intensity Steady State.

Get on a good linear periodized resistance program.

Get protein and fat dialed in, then the rest can be carbs. IIFYM can figure all that out. You are not going to need 361 grams of damn protein! You're 5'11 and currently at 165 Kilos or so - I'd go 180-200g of protein at most.

Check your stats every 2 weeks, max. I also wouldn't use a scale at all, but you will any way - 2 weeks between checks.

If you make it too difficult, you'll quit. And don't get injured early on - watch elbow tendonitis. Starting out, I'd do full body basic compound lifts, 3 times a week and do cardio on different days, 2 or 3 times - then take 1 or 2 days off.
Old 23 February 2015, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
All things considered, you're doing the right thing and I'm going to challenge you to post here once a week and give us an update. Discipline and accountability are two of the best things you can develop at this point in time.
Make your luck.
Weekly check in as promised. The 24 day challenge was up last Wednesday. I lost 20.5" total inches, measurements were taken at my chest, thigh, waist, and arm. Total pounds lost was 23.8.

My 16yo daughter asked if she can work out with me. I was stoked to say the least. Thanks again for the support and advice.
Old 23 February 2015, 09:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Weekly check in as promised. The 24 day challenge was up last Wednesday. I lost 20.5" total inches, measurements were taken at my chest, thigh, waist, and arm. Total pounds lost was 23.8.

My 16yo daughter asked if she can work out with me. I was stoked to say the least. Thanks again for the support and advice.
BAM! There you go Keep it up. Like Poly said, it's a marathon.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

Great job....now keep going.
Old 25 February 2015, 22:04
The Sagacious One

Way to go Steve. Fight the patient war.
Old 2 March 2015, 09:43
Confirmed User

Weekly check in: I am down to 309.7lbs. I kicked up the strength training as recommended and feel great. My intake is right around 1300 calories per day. I was in KC last week for business and managed to eat right and keep under 1300 calories, no bread, no dessert, and no alcohol. Hiltons have great workout rooms. I guess it is becoming noticeable since yesterday the girls on my daughter's team said " hey coach, you're getting skinny, keep up the good work." That was humbling.

Thanks again for all the advice, and encouragement.
Old 2 March 2015, 11:38
The Sagacious One

Good job Steve/ How is your hip holding up?

Keep up the good work.

Our new posting rules