Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 2 March 2015, 12:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Weekly check in: I am down to 309.7lbs. I kicked up the strength training as recommended and feel great. My intake is right around 1300 calories per day. I was in KC last week for business and managed to eat right and keep under 1300 calories, no bread, no dessert, and no alcohol. Hiltons have great workout rooms. I guess it is becoming noticeable since yesterday the girls on my daughter's team said " hey coach, you're getting skinny, keep up the good work." That was humbling.

Thanks again for all the advice, and encouragement.
I'll be honest...IMO I understand it is working for you, but that is a little on the low side as far as calorie intake. You could lose the same amount with a higher intake. While I understand what you are trying to do (I've been there), please understand why most "diets" fail...You have to find a way to make this a lifestyle. Portion control, IMO, is a better way then saying nope I won't have this. In addition, you should be reconfiguring your calorie intake after every 10-20 lbs. In my opinion, the lowest amount of calories you should be eating is your BMR. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

My .02 cents....
Old 2 March 2015, 12:56
Life is simple, not easy.

If you're strength training you may need to up the caloric intake IMO. Sounds like you're doing great. Awesome.
Old 2 March 2015, 13:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
I'll be honest...IMO I understand it is working for you, but that is a little on the low side as far as calorie intake. You could lose the same amount with a higher intake. While I understand what you are trying to do (I've been there), please understand why most "diets" fail...You have to find a way to make this a lifestyle. Portion control, IMO, is a better way then saying nope I won't have this. In addition, you should be reconfiguring your calorie intake after every 10-20 lbs. In my opinion, the lowest amount of calories you should be eating is your BMR. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

My .02 cents....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Good job Steve/ How is your hip holding up?

Keep up the good work.
On cold days it annoys me, but there is no lingering pain from working out.

Hawk:
I didn't set out to follow a calorie limit, this is just the results of tracking everything I eat on MyFitnessPal. Which says I should be taking in 2900 calories a day.

I've weigh and/or measure everything I prepare and am eating three meals, and two snacks per day. I will check out the link and see how to tweak it.

I am not looking to drastically drop weight quickly, that's how I screwed myself before. My wife and I prep and plan our lunches and dinners for the week.

For desserts I've learned to make healty treats to satisfy the sweet tooth urges.

It's been fun, especially when I get to use the Ninja. That machine is the cat's ass.
Old 2 March 2015, 13:51
Authorized Personnel

Good on you for sticking to it.
Old 2 March 2015, 14:18
In Vino Veritas

Yeah man, 1300 cals is WAAAAY to low. As in medical problems low. At your weight you need to consume X cals a day to maintain that weight, which is probably a lot. So at even 3000 cals a day you're probably good for now, especially if you're lifting weights and doing cardio.

I was a chronic under eater for years. Within the last year I talked to some one and upped my daily cal intake to 3200-3500. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat. I highly suggest you use the eat to perform calculator http://staging.eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/.
Old 2 March 2015, 21:36
The Sagacious One

Me and The Ninja have a date every morning for a protein and berry smoothy.

Ref the calories, while you may lose weight, too few calories throws your body into a starvation mode, slows your metabolism and when you go back to eating normally, the starvation mode makes it too easy to gain weight. I would add a few chicken legs in there.
Old 3 March 2015, 08:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
...the girls on my daughter's team said " hey coach, you're getting skinny, keep up the good work."

That's motivating. I agree with them; keep up the good work.
Old 3 March 2015, 08:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Me and The Ninja have a date every morning for a protein and berry smoothy.

Ref the calories, while you may lose weight, too few calories throws your body into a starvation mode, slows your metabolism and when you go back to eating normally, the starvation mode makes it too easy to gain weight. I would add a few chicken legs in there.
My Ninja and I have the same date. Giant cherry berry medley,1/2 banana, 1.5 scoops of whey, 2tbps of greek yogurt, and 8oz of almond milk.
Old 3 March 2015, 09:53
BTDT

You can Recomp in a 500 Kcal deficit. That should result in 1-2lbs of FAT per week. You didn't put it on overnight, you ain't going to (healthily) get rid of it overnight.

1300!!!!! Good lord man. Your BMR is probably 3000!

What does the TAPE MEASURE/CALIPER show? (man do I hate scales for new 'Recompers')

Here's another:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

'Exercise Level' is anything with sustained elevated heart rate - unless you're doing some type of circuit weight training program, it's probably just going to be your 30 minute cardio sessions.

If you start losing 3lbs or more a week without a corresponding 'shrinkage' of your abdominal TAPE MEASURE/CALIPER - add a couple hundred Kcals.

You don't need to restrict, really, anything - other than amount and macro grams.
Old 3 March 2015, 09:59
BTDT

Here:

Cardio 3 Times a week. If you get an accurate BF% measurement (DEXA/BodPod) you can dial it in more using the other formula shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve.jpg (31.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 3 March 2015, 11:12
Confirmed User

It looks like I have some reading to do. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio six days a week, and have been lifting five days a week, alternating body muscle groups.This is in addition to the normal walking required in my day to day activities. I haven't been measured with a caliper just a tape measure.To date I've lost 6" each from my waist and chest, 4" from my arms and 10" from my thighs.

This is why I came here. I figured you guys would bust my chops for being a fat ass, give me the straight dope, and not gild the lilly with recommendations.
Old 3 March 2015, 11:34
In Vino Veritas

For what it's worth we have a current cool guy on loan where I'm at. He's got the guys doing the treadmill at 13% grade, 3 MPH, for 40min. I started doing it yesterday because my cardio is sad right now. It keeps my HR right at 128 +/- a few beat per min, which is that fat burning zone and right about at cardio improvement zone. Just something else for the tool box
Old 3 March 2015, 11:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
For what it's worth we have a current cool guy on loan where I'm at. He's got the guys doing the treadmill at 13% grade, 3 MPH, for 40min. I started doing it yesterday because my cardio is sad right now. It keeps my HR right at 128 +/- a few beat per min, which is that fat burning zone and right about at cardio improvement zone. Just something else for the tool box
Thanks, I alternate between the elliptical and treadmill, but at half the grade. I will give it a try.
Old 9 March 2015, 09:12
Confirmed User

Weekly update- I am increasing my intake to between 1800-2100 calories depending on activity level. I am not eating until I am full like I used, putting down the fork between bites, and eating slower. This satisfies me more, and makes family dinner more enjoybale as my kids seem to talk more, the longer we sit at the table. An added, yet unexpected bonus to all of this is we seem to be spending more time together as a family when we are not running between kids' activities.

I am down to 306.3 as of this morning. I tried on some of the not-as-fat clothes I put away a few years ago. When I started I was wearing a snug 52" waist in my jeans, I can now wear the old 46" waist jeans. I filled every bit of a XXL and some XXXL shirts and hoodies, and can now wear XL again. I have less aches and pains after activity and am much more flexible.

At the risk of resorting to potty humor, I need to share a story from the weekend. My son's Cub Pack did an overnight on the USS New Jersey Saturday night. I had to use the head for a sit down meeting if you will. In a typical stall completing the paperwork was a challenge, not so anymore. It was much easier traversing over the kneeknockers, and through the hatches than it was last year when we visited the USS Becuna at Penn's Landing. I imagine comparing a submarine and battleship is an apple and oranges situation.
Old 9 March 2015, 12:14
Confirmed User

Great job Steve, and don't be surprised if this week you don't lose "as much" 3+ lb drop. Your body will adjust in time with the amount of calories you are taking in. (Even though some of us will argue it's still low), but you know yourself better then I do....Keep going....
Old 9 March 2015, 13:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
Great job Steve, and don't be surprised if this week you don't lose "as much" 3+ lb drop. Your body will adjust in time with the amount of calories you are taking in. (Even though some of us will argue it's still low), but you know yourself better then I do....Keep going....
I'm looking at ways to increase it without, I've taken the advice of adding a few chicken legs by upping my portions of meat/protein at meals. I value all of the input and trust your advice.
Old 9 March 2015, 13:19
The Sagacious One

Keep it up Steve. Hows the hip doing?
Old 9 March 2015, 14:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Keep it up Steve. Hows the hip doing?
It's holding up fairly well.
Old 16 March 2015, 08:47
Confirmed User

Weekly update. The scale showed me 303.2 this morning. Admittedly the only workout I got over the weekend was a ton of walking, some swimming, and horizontal cardio with the Mrs. Unless you count pushing my car up the driveway and the related motions to install a starter and belt tensioner. But getting up from the ground and leaning over the hood was easier, and didn't leave me useless the following day as it used to.

We snuck away to the Poconos for the weekend withought the kids before softball, and lacrosse kick into high gear. We ate right except for a few dark chocolate dipped strawberries. The omelette guy at the hotel was more than happy to accomodate us with egg white omelettes and even cut some fresh veggies that weren't in his assortment of ingredients. We're learning most restaurants are more than happy to substitute or cater to special requests if asked.

I was back in the gym/basement at 0400 this morning.
Old 16 March 2015, 09:07
Confirmed User

The perks of dropping weight...your sex drive goes through the roof. Either your forearm(s) will look like popeye or the horizontal cardio will become a more frequent event...keep it going Steve...Have you learned proper compound lifting technique? This will help you as far as full body workout(s) and break you off the international chest day known as Monday.

Our new posting rules