Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 17 September 2015, 17:32
Been There Done That

Thumbs up One Year After

The sequel to "One Second After" that many of here on Socent enjoyed reading.

Thought deserved a thread of it's own, since so many issues this new novel brings to light.

About half way through it now, as just came out 2 days ago and so far - wow! Would not have expected anything less from a Purdue graduate.

Really puts things into perspective. Not going to get much sleep tonight as going to try to finish.

SPOILER ALERTS:

Interesting that women are being drafted now - equality and all that. :roll eyes:

Realized I would go bonkers if coffee was gone.

Really hits on how much electricity changed out lives and how dependent we are on it. The lack of music, just from a recreational standpoint, would take an emotional toil on many.

In some ways, some good things coming from getting "back to the basics" - many ills of society gone.

Worst part would be if you were separated from your family and not knowing what happened to them.

Interesting how what is going on in parts of Indiana were mentioned, which living here in Indiana I liked, as when reading "one Second After" wandering how in this type of situation the towns and cities in Indiana would make out.

Of course the book is laying out a fear we all have. With a national disaster/calamity the government comes in and exerts more power - takes away more of our rights. Fear of the government then becomes almost as bad as the disaster. Many in the top echelons of power use the disaster to their advantage to obtain more power, more control - make us even more subservient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 September 2015, 18:29
Been There Done That

Don't post spoilers like that. Pretty inconsiderate of you.
Old 17 September 2015, 20:04
Been There Done That

Apologize if you took it that way, but I did not reveal any of the plot or significant happenings, just more of some of the general things that would have to be dealt with - many of these issues revealed in the first book as well.

"One Second After" and now "One Year After" IMHO are the best "end of the world" types books I have read - the ones that seem most probable and realistic - especially when you compare them to all the other "end times" or "Zombie" books and movies/TV shows out there.

Time to get to the store to stock up on coffee, bags of rice, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo, razors, .22LR ammo and bottled water.

Old 17 September 2015, 20:30
Confirmed User

I was just talking about One Second After today with my mom. Telling her she should read it because it is a very well written plausible scenario. I will be ordering One Year After tonight.
Old 18 September 2015, 09:42
Midgetologist

I'm enjoying it so far hope to finish it tonight.
Old 18 September 2015, 12:56
33,024 - R.I.P.

I really enjoyed reading One Second After, and looking forward to the new one. One good point I thought the author brought up in the first book was procuring refrigerated medicines. Most stock up on the OTC meds and antibiotics, but without having electricity to run refrigerators or freezers, some folks might be doomed.
Old 18 September 2015, 13:04
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

There is some good information out there that might be useful to those whom are concerned about a nationwide disruption of power due to an EMP strike. While I do not think that this information should make us any less cautious of a coming disaster, I do think that it can at least give us (you) some idea of how that disaster might come and what it will look like.

I do think there is some truth to the idea that a serious disaster of a nationwide breadth will mean loss of many things that we currently have -- a power grid being one of those things. But perhaps we might see pockets of continued service and/or service on a rolling scale, slowly getting back to full-scale.

I still believe that the single major issue confronting Americans in a national disaster will be food and water. If you don't have the ability to make do for 3 months (preferably 6), then your shit may be very weak when things get tough. I do think that if you ca make it 3 months, if the situation is really, REALLY bad -- then that should be long enough to make it past the rough part of the start, and then you can somewhat comfortably focus on making it the next 1-2 years while things get back on track....
Old 18 September 2015, 15:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
There is some good information out there that might be useful to those whom are concerned about a nationwide disruption of power due to an EMP strike. While I do not think that this information should make us any less cautious of a coming disaster, I do think that it can at least give us (you) some idea of how that disaster might come and what it will look like.

I do think there is some truth to the idea that a serious disaster of a nationwide breadth will mean loss of many things that we currently have -- a power grid being one of those things. But perhaps we might see pockets of continued service and/or service on a rolling scale, slowly getting back to full-scale.

I still believe that the single major issue confronting Americans in a national disaster will be food and water. If you don't have the ability to make do for 3 months (preferably 6), then your shit may be very weak when things get tough. I do think that if you ca make it 3 months, if the situation is really, REALLY bad -- then that should be long enough to make it past the rough part of the start, and then you can somewhat comfortably focus on making it the next 1-2 years while things get back on track....
Agreed.

Long term "camping in" and "camping out" logistics were mandatory requirements before having kids.

It would be VERY interesting to read say a GP focused on pharmacology and a public health statistician discuss a scenario of both disrupted just in time pharmacology logistics with dramatically reduced caloric intake/higher physical output per person.

It wouldn't necessarily be ALL downside(but certainly any upside would be deeply lost in the mix).

Cuba after the fall of the Soviet Union(and subsidies) saw a big fall in quality of life/standard of living, and obesity, which led to some strongly improved numbers on things like heart disease.

"Glass 1/100th full"?

The U.S. Possesses the SPR(strategic petroleum reserve) for numerous reasons.

I wonder how much insurance a few billion dollars of strategic long lead time items pre purchased and positioned for strategic disruption events could provide?

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 18 September 2015, 16:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I really enjoyed reading One Second After, and looking forward to the new one. One good point I thought the author brought up in the first book was procuring refrigerated medicines. Most stock up on the OTC meds and antibiotics, but without having electricity to run refrigerators or freezers, some folks might be doomed.
Lots of folks on lots of pharm.

I honestly think I'd be stocking up heavy on prescription pharm if my family or required prescribed pharm.

Thankfully we don't and our likeminded family GP is cool with prescribing some things for home emergencies and international travel.

That loss of pharm logistics combined with higher physical output/lower caloric input would be really interesting to play out hypothetically to see what could realistically happen.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 18 September 2015, 17:06
Been There Done That

Stockpiling any kind of antibiotics is a good thing. Really.

Same goes for basic 1st aid kit stuff... boxes of bandaids, for example.

Don't forget toilet paper... probably one of the most sought-after and least stocked items there is

One Second After did a good job of opening many people's eyes. One Year After could possibly raise the bar... but I'm still only on chapter two.
Old 18 September 2015, 18:54
Midgetologist

I finished it and enjoyed it and plan to hoard TP.
Old 18 September 2015, 19:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I finished it and enjoyed it and plan to hoard TP.
I could live without TP, have gone for months at a time without any. Cambodians do not use toilet paper, at least in the rural areas, they use water. In some ways it is actually cleaner.

But, no coffee?! That would push me over the edge! Hec, I could live on one meal a day, but I MUST have my 3 cups of coffee every morning.

I am going tomorrow to buy several cases of Scotch and a pallet of Folgers.

Old 18 September 2015, 19:30
Confirmed User

I do not know if One Year After covers what happens to all the Nuclear reactors in the United States but I have tried to do research on the subject and No one covers it in any of the books I have read with grid down scenerios.

I have asked a friend about it who works and builds reactors and there seems to be no clear cut answer. The issue is not the shut down of the reactor if SHTF for long periods of time but what happens when pumps can no longer run to keep the water flowing into the cooling ponds of the current and future spent rods in the pools. Most plants in the U.S. store their own spent rods on site so they mostly all have this problem. That to me is the biggest issue I cannot find an answer for. They all say, including my friend who builds the reactors that back up generators take over with a disruption of power and typically have several weeks of fuel and National plans for resupply.

Well the long term issue is the resupply of fuels for pumps and generators keeping the cooling ponds and spent rods from going into a melt down as they did at the Fukushima plants. My friend has told me that all U.S. reactors have been mandated to make what they call the Fukushima upgrades to prevent cooling pond failures. Also I have heard that plants can generate their own power (obviously) but who will be sticking around to run those plants in a long term grid down SHTF scenario?

To me this is a very serious problem that has not really been covered much. Anyone 50-60 miles down wind of a plant will be forced to bug out or face radiation exsposer of themselves and any outdoor facilities they might have created for survival (gardens and land) in a real long term grid down scenario. Basically everyone East of the Mississippi will be screwed because for the most part the eastern portion of the U.S has the largest population and the majority of nuke plants.

Does anyone have any other info on what plans Nuke plants might have in a long term grid down situation where fuel is not being resupplied and staff leaves to protect their own families?
Old 20 September 2015, 10:10
Been There Done That

Finished reading. Will not reveal the ending. But, do think a 3rd book will be in the works?

Overall a good read. But, did not quite have the impact that the first book had. "One Second After" I would rate a 5, on a scale of 5. "One Year After" would give it a 3.5 or maybe a 4.

Old 20 September 2015, 18:33
Midgetologist

I give it a 3.5 myself.
Old 3 October 2015, 07:40
Authorized Personnel

I found it to be just OK. Was extremely predictable. I did like the angle where they got the real news from BBC as opposed to our US Propaganda arm, also known as the media.

Worth reading, but nowhere near as good as One Second After.
Old 3 October 2015, 15:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

I would look for green coffee beans, they keep for a long time.
Old 3 October 2015, 15:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
T
Really hits on how much electricity changed our lives and how dependent we are on it.
Did some living history/ trekking style camp trips. Something as simple as a small flashlight is a huge modern day convenience.
Old 3 October 2015, 15:28
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
I would look for green coffee beans, they keep for a long time.

The oil in roasted beans will go rancid over long storage, and you REALLY don't want to drink rancid coffee, even after TEOTWAWKI.

Instead, store dry-roasted coffee (if you can stomach that swill) or green, unroasted beans. Cool, Dark, and Dry is the ticket. Either will be good after many years.

Your choice of stockpiling alcohol is spot-on, and will be worth its weight in gold down the road.
Old 3 October 2015, 16:22
Critical mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
...your post
Well I don't build reactors but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.... Start the Hydrogen Recombiners!!

Seriously.... there have been several reports published by regulators, scientific communities, politicians, power plant owners, and a littany of other self proclaimed experts. Some of the technological answers to your questions have been stymied by political pressures (i.e. Yucca Mt. and spent fuel reprocessing via centrifuging amongst others).

If you should choose to read these reports I believe your better choices would be the NRC report, NEI report and the ANS report all accessible via a browser search.

None of which come without their own particular spin and bias but it is a good starting point.
ans.org/Fukushima will get you started.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams

Last edited by Xenonburnout; 3 October 2015 at 16:44. Reason: added link

Our new posting rules