Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 30 October 2015, 10:37
Supporterator

Well, I quit everything that hurt, and been a running fool since I last posted in my shoulder thread.

A local PT who lurks here saw me out of the goodness of his heart. Told me I had bicep tendinitis and a possible abrasion/minor tear on the outside of the shoulder.

Now it doesnt hurt, and I'm beginning to add in bodyweight movements again without any symptoms. But man, did it fucking sting there for awhile. Hopefully you can resolve without surgery, that has been hit or miss for a lot of folks I know.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 30 October 2015, 10:40
Confirmed User

Tore it twice on my left shoulder, nothing helped EXCEPT a $6.00 lacrosse ball.
Old 30 October 2015, 11:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPT View Post
Have you had an MRI? What tendon(s) are involved? What is the size of the tear? Any biceps tendon or glenoid labrum involvement? All of this will impact whether conservative treatment (ie PT, no surgery) will work. I've rehabed firefighters, cops and martial arts guys w/ small tears (less than 1 cm, partial thickness tears) and had them return to full duty. I would definitely get more than one opinion, and try to find an ortho who only does shoulders, not a one-stop-shop "I can fix everything" cutter. Hope that helps.
Yes, had the MRI. Anterior (that's the front, correct? :) ) something or other; I can get the exact name later if needed. Somewhere between 2-3cm. Biceps good to go. No junk in the joint.

Re: MRI - I forgot I had claustrophobia. That sucked.
Old 30 October 2015, 11:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
Tore it twice on my left shoulder, nothing helped EXCEPT a $6.00 lacrosse ball.
I have been using a lacrosse ball, beastie ball and foam roller. All have helped to a degree with ROM and pain management. But this shoulder has been a mess for years.
Old 30 October 2015, 11:32
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I have been using a lacrosse ball, beastie ball and foam roller. All have helped to a degree with ROM and pain management. But this shoulder has been a mess for years.
Yeah...I think my luck just ran out. Actually, I'm hoping for the torn rotor cuff and not the burr in my neck from a whiplash injury.

My luck, it will turn out to be both. I am shitfuck scared to let anyone shave that burr. Waiting for MRIs and a follow-up
Old 30 October 2015, 15:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Bingo - sub acromial decompression? Good luck with it. You're over the hump at this point.
Yep...that was it. It's funny my body is starting to realize my shoulder is getting better. Where as I unconsciously protected it for the past 2 months I now find my self reaching and picking things up that I would not have considered before.
Old 31 October 2015, 20:53
Confirmed User

Bingo - glad's it's improving. Keep working it, but be smart about it. I usually give patients a time line of at least 6 months before doing something aggressive like pull starting a mower or getting luggage from an overhead bin.

USMC_3m - 2-3cm is a pretty big tear. Depending on your insurance, this might be a good approach: if you're near to/have met your deductible, do physical therapy and see if it gets better. Worse case, if it doesn't and you need surgery, you go into it w/ better range of motion and a good strength base, should make recovery quicker; and consider getting the surgery done before the end of the year (again depending on deductible etc). If your insurance limits the number of PT visits per year you get, it typically starts over in Jan, so you have a clean slate post surgery.
Old 31 October 2015, 22:38
What could possibly go wrong?

I tore mine years ago on a 400 lb bench press. Decided not to have surgery and just modified my workouts, deciding I really didn't need to bench 400 pounds. It eventually healed and I don't have any issues.
I hate surgeries, and as I write this, I'm three days post neck surgery. This operation after two years ago having two days and 18 hrs of surgery. I've had enough surgeries and neck surgery hurts like a bitch causing you to make a lot of animal noises as the muscles spasm
Old 1 November 2015, 08:06
Psalm 91:2

USMC I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Yours depends on how bad it bothers you & if they have to cut or can do it orthoscopically (sp). Also if an injury caused the tear.

One of mine was from my shoulder being dislocated & the other was a combo of an injury combined with a bone spur.

I was a dumbass & decided to have the surgeries back to back so I could get it over & done with. Big mistake!!

Rehab was a bitch for months but overall they are better now than if I had skipped the surgeries. I hope never to have to do it ever again.

Best of luck and praying for a total & speedy recovery.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 1 November 2015, 08:15
Been There Done That

I had a torn labrum. Got surgery a year and a half ago. It never healed- still hurts at night. feels like it is going to fall off when I run, can't do any real weightlifting anymore with anything other than light weights.

Tried multiple rehab programs including THOR at Ft. Bragg. Nothing worked, nobody can figure out why it didn't get better.

Guess I have to get it cut on again.
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 1 November 2015, 08:20
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I had a torn labrum. Got surgery a year and a half ago. It never healed- still hurts at night. feels like it is going to fall off when I run, can't do any real weightlifting anymore with anything other than light weights.

Tried multiple rehab programs including THOR at Ft. Bragg. Nothing worked, nobody can figure out why it didn't get better.

Sorry about that Mako. I wish you the best. Prayers & blessings.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 1 November 2015, 13:34
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
Yeah...I think my luck just ran out. Actually, I'm hoping for the torn rotor cuff and not the burr in my neck from a whiplash injury.

My luck, it will turn out to be both. I am shitfuck scared to let anyone shave that burr. Waiting for MRIs and a follow-up
Maybe a reprieve for me. Shoulder is calming down nicely gentle exercise, medication and good guarding not to re-injury.

Im running a pain log for followup because many times I settle the situation down just due to freaking pain and the doctor doesn't get the chance to see it when it's aggravated.

One advantage is that if stays calmed down the MRIs wont dictate surgery....at least that's what I'm hoping. The problem is I cant stop living to manage it every time it gets aggravated.

Waiting for MRIs.
Old 1 November 2015, 15:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Bingo - glad's it's improving. Keep working it, but be smart about it. I usually give patients a time line of at least 6 months before doing something aggressive like pull starting a mower or getting luggage from an overhead bin.

USMC_3m - 2-3cm is a pretty big tear. Depending on your insurance, this might be a good approach: if you're near to/have met your deductible, do physical therapy and see if it gets better. Worse case, if it doesn't and you need surgery, you go into it w/ better range of motion and a good strength base, should make recovery quicker; and consider getting the surgery done before the end of the year (again depending on deductible etc). If your insurance limits the number of PT visits per year you get, it typically starts over in Jan, so you have a clean slate post surgery.
Thanks - good advice on the insurance aspect. I need to check where I am with deductibles, etc. Appreciate the guidance.
Old 1 November 2015, 15:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
USMC I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Yours depends on how bad it bothers you & if they have to cut or can do it orthoscopically (sp). Also if an injury caused the tear.

One of mine was from my shoulder being dislocated & the other was a combo of an injury combined with a bone spur.

I was a dumbass & decided to have the surgeries back to back so I could get it over & done with. Big mistake!!

Rehab was a bitch for months but overall they are better now than if I had skipped the surgeries. I hope never to have to do it ever again.

Best of luck and praying for a total & speedy recovery.
Thank you for your sharing and prayers.
Old 1 November 2015, 15:52
Confirmed User

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, Mako. My chiropractor told me he hoped it wasn't the labrum because they can be a real bitch to repair. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 1 November 2015, 17:12
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Sorry to hear that, Mako. My chiropractor told me he hoped it wasn't the labrum because they can be a real bitch to repair. Hope it works out well for you.

I can't speak on the labrum from a clinical perspective, but I can definitely say it's a bitch to deal with. I haven't had the surgery, but I have a recurring SLAP tear (superior labrum, anterior to posterior) that seems to kick my ass every time I'm starting to get back in shape. As soon as I'm really starting to get strong again, that tear starts acting up and puts me OOC again. At this point, I'm coming to realize that I can't oly-lift heavy anymore...anytime I try to jerk more than 200, I get hurt again. Oddly, things like the viper press with a strongman log don't bother me at all. In general, I'm finding that strongman movements seem to aggravate my old injuries less. Ahh well...play the hand you're dealt, right?

While true:
Continue
Old 2 November 2015, 11:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
So my Physical Therapist is cutting me loose today...any suggestions for working on my own. I would like to get back in the gym but not quite sure how to approach. Are there protocols for weeks 12 - 16?
Old 2 November 2015, 11:45
Confirmed User

Quote:

PM if you want the name of a doc at Duke.
Old 2 November 2015, 18:36
Confirmed User

Bingo - congrats on graduating from PT. A lot of shoulder injuries are the result of an inherent imbalance between the big pushers/propellers (pecs, lats, delts, bi/triceps etc) and the much smaller rotator cuff muscles, which stabilize the head of the humerus in the "cup", as well as the 17 or so muscles that attach to the scapula. Most traditional weight exercises (both free weights and machines) focus on those bigger muscles. So going to the gym is kinda like just brushing the front of your teeth cause it's all you see in the mirror (ie, nobody goes to the gym and says "Think I'll work on glenohumeral stabilization today). I'm not saying dump your old routine, but I would definitely incorporate both rotator cuff exercises and scapular stabilization exercises into your routine. Way beyond my typing skills to describe each one, but I'm guessing you can easily find some you tube videos of each of these: sidelying external rotation (go LIGHT on these, like 1-2#, they'll kick your ass), scaption with external rotation, supine punch, push up plus, prone horizontal abduction with external rotation (T's and Y's), rows, with cable column or thera-tubing: D2 flexion (like drawing a sword from a scabbard), D1 extension (opposite direction, starting high coming down and out), short arc military press. Those are all good intermediate level/post rehab exercises. Just start LIGHT and listen to your body. This is not the time to "work through the pain". If it hurts, don't do it. Hope that helps. If not, I'll see if I can find an appropriate resource.
Old 4 November 2015, 04:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Bingo - congrats on graduating from PT. A lot of shoulder injuries are the result of an inherent imbalance between the big pushers/propellers (pecs, lats, delts, bi/triceps etc) and the much smaller rotator cuff muscles, which stabilize the head of the humerus in the "cup", as well as the 17 or so muscles that attach to the scapula. Most traditional weight exercises (both free weights and machines) focus on those bigger muscles. So going to the gym is kinda like just brushing the front of your teeth cause it's all you see in the mirror (ie, nobody goes to the gym and says "Think I'll work on glenohumeral stabilization today). I'm not saying dump your old routine, but I would definitely incorporate both rotator cuff exercises and scapular stabilization exercises into your routine. Way beyond my typing skills to describe each one, but I'm guessing you can easily find some you tube videos of each of these: sidelying external rotation (go LIGHT on these, like 1-2#, they'll kick your ass), scaption with external rotation, supine punch, push up plus, prone horizontal abduction with external rotation (T's and Y's), rows, with cable column or thera-tubing: D2 flexion (like drawing a sword from a scabbard), D1 extension (opposite direction, starting high coming down and out), short arc military press. Those are all good intermediate level/post rehab exercises. Just start LIGHT and listen to your body. This is not the time to "work through the pain". If it hurts, don't do it. Hope that helps. If not, I'll see if I can find an appropriate resource.
Really good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from my PT with video for most of the exercises you recommend.

Want you to know I appreciate the effort on your part to point me in the right direction.

Our new posting rules