Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 22 April 2016, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Nobody is denying that the urge to deploy exists. In fact, I'm sure that everyone here misses it (the good parts) at some level or another. I know I often do.

The inference that I walked away with (and it would appear others did to) is that the poster was currently working a highly selective, highly competitive, well paying, flexible, respected OCONUS job with an equally selective and respected client. In that light, leaving that gig for a Senior Guard position at KESF would be in lay-man's terms, "dumb".

It now appears that this situation is not the case, I think, but I still cannot tell for sure.

The issue that the men here are taking is that the general portrayal was more to the former rather than the latter.
For clarification purposes, I work for a contractor to a gov't agency (name not included for obvious reasons.) It is not a fancy job that is very selective or anything to which you guys might deem to be a job not to walk away from. It is quite boring actually with an even more boring title, decent but not great pay/benefits. This is another reason I have been thinking about accepting the Aegis gig.
Old 22 April 2016, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Yes. I am still very much on the fence as to the OP's agenda. For me it was the way his inquiry was presented - then his attempts to clarify causing more confusion and questions. Things like "three letter agency" and making sure we all understood his clearance level. None of which had jack shit to do with being a KESF senior guard and getting a low end DoS clearance. It caused immense confusion - unnecessarily I might add.
I had no agenda. I am new to this site and was simply looking for advice and this is the first post that I clicked on. I now know to search for a specific question/topic so I appreciate that. I spoke of my clearance to get info on the process for my application. I said that I work for a "three letter agency" to see if the process went quicker if transferring my clearance from one agency to another. If you all misinterpreted my post I apologize but I am in no way making up anything that I have said. Here is my original post for you all to re read to see my intent. "I received a conditional employment letter and flew out to update my equip at the O'Gara facility. I am currently a gov contractor with a three letter agency and have an active ts/sci. Do you know how long the process usually takes to switch the ownership of my clearance from my current employer to DoS and what will I expect after that part of the process?"

If he had done a simple "KESF" search he would have found a shitload of threads - with a lot of info - and not have had to throw himself in the meat grinder with the info he, for some reason, felt necessary to provide. Search results here -

http://www.socnet.com/search.php?searchid=5517121

Quote:
As for the "recruitment" issue. Yes, it does happen - with instructors and managers who have been around awhile. Poaching happens a lot. But, with the larger training providers (which KESF is), I have never seen it happen withcandidates. They always have more candidate applications than they know what to do with without having to go out and find specific individuals. And on top of that he has never been in the DoS pipeline/work field to make it even a remote possibility
As another poster stated, he too was contacted by a recruiter about applying for a position. This to me sounds like recruitment but if you don't think I should use this word I will say that "I was contacted" by a recruiter. Sufficient?
Old 22 April 2016, 11:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetreatHell03xx View Post
For clarification purposes, I work for a contractor to a gov't agency (name not included for obvious reasons.) It is not a fancy job that is very selective or anything to which you guys might deem to be a job not to walk away from. It is quite boring actually with an even more boring title, decent but not great pay/benefits. This is another reason I have been thinking about accepting the Aegis gig.
Do you think sitting at a guard post or in a bearcat all day is exciting because it is in Kabul? If you want to work on a degree than it might be a good idea.

Winston Churchill
Old 22 April 2016, 11:30
NKDA

Quote:
Ok. Now this all makes sense. Probably should have started with this description. Thanks for clarifying.

In that case, go for it. Just know that with the Senior Guard position, 99.9% of the time you will most likely be equally bored/dissatisfied - but at least you'll be getting paid more to do it, and the time you put in at the SG position will count towards deployment time and possibly help you move over to WPS in the future.

Just be aware that your day to day life will be: Mancamp to Embassy Kabul, then supervise a bunch of TCN guards all day, then Embassy Kabul to Mancamp.

Also balance the pros/cons of leaving your current company and throwing-away an active TS/SCI.
Old 22 April 2016, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Ok. Now this all makes sense. Probably should have started with this description. Thanks for clarifying.

In that case, go for it. Just know that with the Senior Guard position, 99.9% of the time you will most likely be equally bored/dissatisfied - but at least you'll be getting paid more to do it, and the time you put in at the SG position will count towards deployment time and possibly help you move over to WPS in the future.

Just be aware that your day to day life will be: Mancamp to Embassy Kabul, then supervise a bunch of TCN guards all day, then Embassy Kabul to Mancamp.

Also balance the pros/cons of leaving your current company and throwing-away an active TS/SCI.
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Cheers!
Old 22 April 2016, 11:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
As another poster stated, he too was contacted by a recruiter about applying for a position. This to me sounds like recruitment but if you don't think I should use this word I will say that "I was contacted" by a recruiter. Sufficient?
Look dude - I'm not going to get into a battle of word gymnastics with you. The bottom line is your initial posts were very ambiguous and misleading. Then your attempts to clarify only added to your woes. You threw around phrases like "three letter agency" "the sandbox" "TS/SCI" etc. This led to the scrutiny you received. Whether I think your terminology is "sufficient" or not is not important to me - and shouldn't be to you. What should be important to you is the fact that a few of the guys that would be training you have read every word you have posted here.

Again - I have worked in some capacity for the majority of the major WPS programs that have existed in the last 10 years or so. Maybe you were "recruited" or "contacted by" an Aegis recruiter. Smaller lesser known companies will do this - especially when trying to get resumes for a contract bid, or if it's a small contract providing protection for NGO's, Corps Of Engineers, construction projects, etc. But I still stand by my statement that Aegis doing it would be a rarity and rather unusual. I have worked for their training provider and know that they have never had a problem getting applications, and most always have guys sitting on the bench waiting to deploy.

If Aegis reached out to you - good for you. Not real important, but I would be interested to know how the "found" you in order to reach out to you. It may be that in the last few years they have made efforts to scan millions of social media outlets to find guys that may fit the bill. Seems to me this would take a lot of man hours.

If you choose to go this route best of luck to you and I sincerely hope it ends up being what you are hoping it is.
Old 22 April 2016, 12:38
NKDA

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Cheers!
No problem. Just know that some of the Senior Management and Senior Instructors for the exact company that would be providing your train-up are members of this board, and will rip you to shreds if you show-up talking a bunch of veiled nonsense.

IF you get a training slot, hit the ground humble, and open with the most recent iteration of your story that is very clear about the type of position that you have been working.

Last edited by O_Pos; 22 April 2016 at 13:03. Reason: Simplification
Old 22 April 2016, 14:13

Quote:
Look dude - I'm not going to get into a battle of word gymnastics with you. The bottom line is your initial posts were very ambiguous and misleading. Then your attempts to clarify only added to your woes. You threw around phrases like "three letter agency" "the sandbox" "TS/SCI" etc. This led to the scrutiny you received. Whether I think your terminology is "sufficient" or not is not important to me - and shouldn't be to you. What should be important to you is the fact that a few of the guys that would be training you have read every word you have posted here.

Again - I have worked in some capacity for the majority of the major WPS programs that have existed in the last 10 years or so. Maybe you were "recruited" or "contacted by" an Aegis recruiter. Smaller lesser known companies will do this - especially when trying to get resumes for a contract bid, or if it's a small contract providing protection for NGO's, Corps Of Engineers, construction projects, etc. But I still stand by my statement that Aegis doing it would be a rarity and rather unusual. I have worked for their training provider and know that they have never had a problem getting applications, and most always have guys sitting on the bench waiting to deploy.

If Aegis reached out to you - good for you. Not real important, but I would be interested to know how the "found" you in order to reach out to you. It may be that in the last few years they have made efforts to scan millions of social media outlets to find guys that may fit the bill. Seems to me this would take a lot of man hours.

If you choose to go this route best of luck to you and I sincerely hope it ends up being what you are hoping it is.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
Old 12 June 2016, 19:20

tax info

How many days can you spend in the states without paying taxes?
Old 12 June 2016, 20:22
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Welcome to SOCnet but probably the wrong way to ask. We try not to hijack threads here and read more than post. I am pretty sure I saw this discussion in at least one other thread here, but if after reading and using the search function you cannot find it, start your own thread.

I offer this advice as the Admins have a hard enough job here without policing threads too much. Hijacking another person's thread that has essentially nothing to do with your query is somewhat discourteous to all involved. It also confuses knuckle-dragging guests like myself.

Enjoy SOCnet and I hope neither of us get spanked here

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 12 June 2016, 21:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
In the interest of sending you elsewhere for your third post-

You must remain outside the U.S. (and its Territories) for 330 days out of 365 to qualify for the tax exemption. That means you can transit through the U.S. on your way somewhere else but if you go through Customs, your time begins toward your 35 days allowed.

If you start a contract part way through the year, I strongly suggest you have your taxes done by an accountant that specializes in preparing them for overseas contractors.
Old 11 December 2016, 19:32

Quote:

To be fair, I was initially contacted by an aegis recruiter for PSS. I had applied to the armed guard gig in KAF and about 3 months after being there I received an email:

"After reviewing your qualifications you may be eligible for the Aegis WPS Program. You will receive an email from [deleted] within 24 hours to initiate the WPS BIO process; he will be your main POC.

Please note, in order to be considered for WPS you will have to fulfill your current obligations to the Kandahar Program."

Which I did, and here I am now. It does happen
Old 27 December 2016, 10:22
The Flying Scotsman

Throwing this out there, reference Aegis Afghan/US anyone familiar with a person called Sasha, who apparently hires complete teams?

Our new posting rules