Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 23 March 2016, 16:06
Streck-Fu's Avatar
Streck-Fu Streck-Fu is online now
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
You know what Made America Great? Ripping off the best of other cultures and making it our own. Not letting people cluster together and try to turn the New World into the Old World.
There was not a managed active effort to bring in any particular people or culture. Most of those that came here, were shit poor but willing to work their asses off to provide for themselves and family. Yes, they wanted to be American, but America didn't rip them off culturally...Unless you consider a work ethic to be the best of other cultures.

And, yes, they did, at first, congregate among people from the same cultures which is why most cities have Little Italy, China Town, etc.

Who do you suggest didn't let them cluster together?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 23 March 2016, 16:13
Baildog's Avatar
Baildog Baildog is online now
I've got a gun too, mf'er
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Moon Base Alpha
Posts: 3,250
We ripped each other off ... as in, we took the best that each had to offer.

I don't mean through government fiat, I mean through ... cultural expectation, if you will. It may have taken a generation or two, but there was I think an underlying expectation that you or at least your children would assimilate. It may not have worked out in practice a lot of the time, but at least it existed as an ideal that set the tone.
I don't see that expectation or ideal currently ... I see a set of expectations that seem more to encourage people to segregate.
__________________
"If you set out to take Vienna...take Vienna"
- Napoleon
"If you want to be free...then you can't be dumb"
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 23 March 2016, 16:17
Agoge Agoge is online now
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 5,801
Many that came years ago came here with the intention of giving their families a better life than they could in their home country. They came and assimilated because they wanted to. It wasn't incumbent upon us as a nation to want them to -- *they* wanted to.

Many of them today, want to change their cities and areas into their ways and not assimilate into ours. Their rules from their countries don't apply here, although they feel they should and in fact live by their rules rather than ours in many instances.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 23 March 2016, 16:55
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
No wide-scale destruction of Europe need occur, nor is it even desirable. I side with E5M, all that is required is to;
[*]Stop admitting ME and African muslims into Europe for anything other than visiting, and then -- only those that can be vetted as to their motives, history, and likelihood to try to remain
Back when I was working at O'Hare, prior to 9/11, I would sometimes have to clear inbound cargo through Customs. I got to know a couple of the agents pretty good, and somehow got on the topic of Visas and the subject of people enter the US with one of them one afternoon and said we should have a sign greeting everybody at every port, air or sea, that said "Thanks for visiting our country. Now get the hell out!".

I was completely serious, and he gave me this look like it was the worst thing I could have said. A couple of the agents working there were immigrants, but I really didn't give a shit.

I meant what I said, and wasn't completely surprised when the attack took place a couple of years later. I wasn't really prepared for the manner in which it took place, but actually expected something big to take place sooner rather than later.

These types of attacks are going to become more common, I disagree with a lot of the so called experts that attacks like these take place because groups like ISIS are somehow in their death throes.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 23 March 2016, 17:20
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 7,501
There's very little 'best of others" to steal in Africa or the ME. Damned little in Asia aside from LBFM's. Our immigration should reflect.

Like I said, give it 3 generations of isolation for these American "residents" to become Americans, if they can. We will probably become stupid and naive in the interim (just like 1924-1965) and start believing stupid shit like "inside every foreigner is an American trying to get out." S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 23 March 2016, 17:28
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,157
It was different years ago when we had plenty of land and plenty of jobs that only required manual labor. Now, our concern shouldn't be about fairness to foreigners, but instead fairness to our progeny. Unless bringing a foreigner here benefits America, we shouldn't be doing it. We already have enough people here that are unemployed or under-educated.
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 23 March 2016, 18:01
Armitage12 Armitage12 is offline
Confronting the Reckoning
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Old North West
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Many that came years ago came here with the intention of giving their families a better life than they could in their home country. They came and assimilated because they wanted to. It wasn't incumbent upon us as a nation to want them to -- *they* wanted to.

Many of them today, want to change their cities and areas into their ways and not assimilate into ours. Their rules from their countries don't apply here, although they feel they should and in fact live by their rules rather than ours in many instances.
This. And numbers. And mass communications today that are orders of magnitude more complex than those of the late 19th/early 20th century. One might not have wanted to assimilate, but the kids were going to. Now, if the kids wish to, they can continue to participate in the old world culture at home through social media, videos, music, and the like that reinforces the old world. One can keep the assimilation to a minimum, and remain separate, within the large numbers of others who do not wish to assimilate.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 23 March 2016, 20:17
Baildog's Avatar
Baildog Baildog is online now
I've got a gun too, mf'er
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Moon Base Alpha
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
It was different years ago when we had plenty of land and plenty of jobs that only required manual labor. Now, our concern shouldn't be about fairness to foreigners, but instead fairness to our progeny. Unless bringing a foreigner here benefits America, we shouldn't be doing it. We already have enough people here that are unemployed or under-educated.
Completely agree.
If they don't want to assimilate, don't let them in. No matter what country they're from.
If they can't convince us that they aren't a threat, don't let them in. No matter what country they are from.
If they don't have something positive to contribute, don't let them in. No matter what country they are from.
But I still think our policy should be consistent for everybody, no matter what country they are from. And it should be based on an evaluation of the individual, and what they can do for the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
There's very little 'best of others" to steal in Africa or the ME. Damned little in Asia aside from LBFM's. Our immigration should reflect.

Like I said, give it 3 generations of isolation for these American "residents" to become Americans, if they can. We will probably become stupid and naive in the interim (just like 1924-1965) and start believing stupid shit like "inside every foreigner is an American trying to get out." S/F....Ken M
Near as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be what I define as an American inside half of the Americans trying to get out. Let alone non-Americans. But perhaps 1 in 10,000 foreigners are worth something.

All I am saying is, even under a President Trump, I just don't see us shutting it down until we are even further gone than Belgium is now (at which point a President Clinton will impose marital law just as swiftly as a President Trump). In the meantime, why not argue for a measured immigration policy based on our own national interest that screens and selects who gets in?
__________________
"If you set out to take Vienna...take Vienna"
- Napoleon
"If you want to be free...then you can't be dumb"
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 23 March 2016, 20:40
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Near as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be what I define as an American inside half of the Americans trying to get out. Let alone non-Americans. But perhaps 1 in 10,000 foreigners are worth something.

All I am saying is, even under a President Trump, I just don't see us shutting it down until we are even further gone than Belgium is now (at which point a President Clinton will impose marital law just as swiftly as a President Trump). In the meantime, why not argue for a measured immigration policy based on our own national interest that screens and selects who gets in?
I am for a measured immigration policy. I would allow Congress to pass a by-name immigration list as such useful people present themselves

The issue is that various scheming turds benefit from immigration in various ways while the general population suffers, and due to regulatory capture, they're the ones with their hands on the spigot. And they broke that off and are in the process of dynamiting the levees. S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 23 March 2016, 20:50
TypicalFish TypicalFish is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
The only valid reason to become an American, in my opinion, is because you want to be An American. Not because you want the lifestyle, but because you believe in the culture. Because you share American values....like freedom of speech and religion.
THIS. My wife (who is an immigrant) could write a thesis around it. "I came to America because I wanted to be an American" should be tattooed on her thigh she tells me so much.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 24 March 2016, 04:38
Maverick's Avatar
Maverick Maverick is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I never understand this reasoning. So we basically have a gladiators competition to see which LN has sucked our collective cock enough to get a ticket to Disneyworld? Fuck that.

I think a lot of times people forget we are paying these people MONEY. And often rewarding them with POWER. And the ability/opportunity to fuck over their neighbors. And oh gee -- because we see this puppydog deference to all things gringo, we clamor to lift this person up and proclaim him "like us." Really? He's "like us?" In what way? Because when he shits, he does so through his rectum?

LNs rarely have a fucking thing in common with our culture -- and the last thing our nation needs is to build a merc force and promise nationality in exchange for picking up guns on our behalf.

Here's a concept -- pick up guns on our behalf and you can keep your land. All you gotta do is win. Kill all of those we don't like. Then MAYBE -- and this is by no fucking means guaranteed -- if we still like you at the end of it all, you MIGHT get a visa to come visit the land of the big PX. Although it isn't really likely, since all we need do is remember that you picked up guns on our behalf against your own countrymen for nothing more than the idea of getting the chance to stroll through a Krogers every week.

They. Don't. Have. Anything. In. Common. With. Us.

Period....
Perhaps our experiences were different. All I'm saying is, if somebody can immigrate to the US and earn their citizenship through military service, why can't we offer a green card to those who fought alongside US forces for 10+ years? They've certainly done more for America than the fat fuck behind the register at McDonalds wanting $15/hr or the trailer park trash collecting welfare. Do we pay them? Sure we do. Enough to be fairly well off in their home country (situation dependent) but not enough to make it in the US. The well paid LN terps right about now make about $1500/mo if I remember correctly. In exchange, they hide their identities because nobody will help them when we leave...and they know that. Again, my belief is that it should be selective and based on merit...as it was with the LNs I recently worked with. They were only granted their green card if it was deemed they could actually be a contributing member of society.
__________________
"Improving team morale, one compliment at a time."
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 24 March 2016, 05:18
Linda1961's Avatar
Linda1961 Linda1961 is offline
Psalm 91:2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,751
RIP. Prayers and condolences to the family & friends who lost someone or if they have a wounded family member or one missing.

Prayers for our nation & other nations and their leaders to get their collective heads out of their butts & get serious about this.
__________________
"Hate war but love the American warrior." Lt. General Hal Moore

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 24 March 2016, 08:27
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OH
Posts: 730
The Iraqi interpretors we have here now bitch about how America is "all about the money" and "we had a better life under Saddam", so I used to support bringing over people who worked with us in the past but do not now. Have fun in your totalitarian wasteland, with picutures of your ruler everywhere, and not a pot to piss in.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 24 March 2016, 09:07
Maverick's Avatar
Maverick Maverick is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
The Iraqi interpretors we have here now bitch about how America is "all about the money" and "we had a better life under Saddam", so I used to support bringing over people who worked with us in the past but do not now. Have fun in your totalitarian wasteland, with picutures of your ruler everywhere, and not a pot to piss in.
Yeah that would piss me the hell off. They can have that shit. The majority of my experience with LNs in this aspect has been in Afghanistan. I can honestly say I've not heard a single LN supporting the US ever talk like that.
__________________
"Improving team morale, one compliment at a time."
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 24 March 2016, 11:37
CPTAUSRET's Avatar
CPTAUSRET CPTAUSRET is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Iowa City, Iowa...
Posts: 9,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Just reported on Fox Biz that one of the Missionaries who was injured was about a block away from the Boston Marathon bombing. Might want to lay low for a bit.

I'm still amazed we haven't had this type of incident in the US yet.
Operative word being "yet".
__________________
"IF THOU STRIKETH THE KING, STRIKE NOT TO WOUND":
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 25 March 2016, 09:15
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OH
Posts: 730
I don't know Afghanistan, but many of the ME types are very conected to Western media, psychology, etc. They saw Michael Moore's documentary on the healthcare system, they watch US news. They see people here blaming ourselves (not me), blaming Bush, and capitalize on that. People I used to freely give money/stuff to I block on FB, refuse to associate with. I wouldn't say it's all of the Iraqi terps, but roughly %80, I still talk to a few and I know about 20.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 25 March 2016, 11:53
RedDawg_03's Avatar
RedDawg_03 RedDawg_03 is offline
Pirate and Rogue
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Savannah River Area
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Operative word being "yet".
Yes sir
__________________
My suggestion to you is to start drinking heavily - Bluto Blutarsky

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 26 March 2016, 03:50
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fly over country
Posts: 2,045
They. Don't. Have. Anything. In. Common. With. Us.

Period....


WHAT SOTB SAID
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 26 March 2016, 09:42
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
They've certainly done more for America than the fat fuck behind the register at McDonalds wanting $15/hr or the trailer park trash collecting welfare....They were only granted their green card if it was deemed they could actually be a contributing member of society.
LOL. They've done for America? Yeah, I've heard and read that theory before. Here's a concept -- the "terps" selected are usually those who drew the lotto ticket in life of having learned English, nothing else. And we in turn -- because as much as I love the US, fuck me but we are a bunch of ignorant and ethnocentric morons (ironic with my ethnocentric post, huh?) -- believe there is a correlation of intelligence and loyalty based on our interactions with some booger-eating fuck who speaks English. Sigh. My best friend's fmr wife once said of my fmr wife that she was "very intelligent" because her English was so good. LOL. Americans simply love to snuggle up to people who speak their language -- because we're too fucking lazy to learn the language of someone else.

And oh -- they put their life and family safety on the line supporting us? HAHAHHAHAHAHHA. Fuck them. They do(did) it for the dollars. Not a damned thing more. Yeah yeah -- you and others will point to how they lifted arms against their countrymen to support Americans. All I can reply is -- try drinking a lot of water upon your return to the US to purge out the Koolaid you drank somewhere else.

Your terp could give a fuck about MY country. And his/her getting a green card because of their sacrifices is idiocy. Especially those whom come from ME, African or S Asian countries....
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 26 March 2016, 13:27
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OH
Posts: 730
One of our terps was speaking with a Libyan/US citizen terp who worked for a LTC in charge of a 15-6. In casual conversation in front of me they talked about how the citizen terp worked a lot in the neighborhood our terp lived in. Both of them knew the JAM comanders/leaders, in arabic they exchanged basically, "yeah they are good guys." That terp now lives in the Phoenix area...

Another one of our terps spoke Persian/Farsi and now lives in the Philedelphia area. How these types of people made it here are beyond me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:34.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET