Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 9 April 2016, 17:52
Confirmed User

Shooting at Lackland AFB

This is an update from yesterdays story on MSN, anyone have any more info or know who else was shot? I'd post a link but I'm not sure if it is allowed.

The shooter in an apparent murder-suicide at a Texas Air Force base Friday was an enlisted airman who served a brief stint as an FBI agent before entering the service to become an elite pararescueman, U.S. officials said.

Tech. Sgt. Steven D. Bellino, 41, killed another airman at the Medina Training Annex of Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland before turning the gun on himself, the officials said. He joined the Air Force in June 2015 and was a student with the 342nd Training Squadron, which provides training and screening in pararescue, combat control, explosive ordnance disposal and other skills used by elite units in Air Force Special Operations Command.

The shooting occurred about 8:40 a.m. in a first-floor office at Forbes Hall, a large building that includes classrooms and a theater, Air Force officials said Friday. It is used regularly by airmen in training for Special Operations. Two Glock handguns were found at the scene.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 9 April 2016, 20:33
Confirmed User

Shooting At Lackland AFB

I was surprised when I read that he left the FBI to enlist in the USAF. As much as I respect the USAF, getting into the FBI is no cake walk. Once in the FBI, do your 20 years and get out. Why did he quit the FBI to enlist? I was also looking at the age and wondering about that. Typically, 37 years old is the cut off for hiring. However, I suspect that he was prior service and they waived the age requirement as a result of that.
Old 10 April 2016, 00:11
Been There Done That

My read of what is out there is he was asked to resign from the FBI.
Old 10 April 2016, 06:20
Been There Done That

In the WaPo article, it says he was a tech sgt but had been in the AF for less than a year. How the holy hell do you get that rank and get into a SOF unit in that amount of time, FBI or no FBI
22 Aug 17
Old 10 April 2016, 10:56
Been There Done That

^Prior service Army. PM Sent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 April 2016, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^Prior service Army. PM Sent.
Correct.
Old 10 April 2016, 14:16
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
In the WaPo article, it says he was a tech sgt but had been in the AF for less than a year. How the holy hell do you get that rank and get into a SOF unit in that amount of time, FBI or no FBI
He wasn't anywhere near a SOF unit, a training squadron only.
Old 10 April 2016, 15:45
Confirmed User

The articles I'm seeing say the shooter was a 20 year veteran of the Army. Curious to see the capacity in which he served...
Old 10 April 2016, 16:01
Genetically Deplorable

I was curious about the reference to a First Sergeant. I know the Air Force does not have them. Would this have been a Marine 1SG or perhaps an Army 1SG liaison? At FSH back in the day we had all services, USCG, as well as foreign mil, so I know it was possibly one of those, as well.

Thanks, RIP LTC Schroeder.

Back to my lane.
Old 10 April 2016, 16:08
Been There Done That

First Sergeant is a SNCO special duty AFSC position in the Air Force.

Principal advisor to the commander on all issues related to the enlisted force; and exercises general supervision over assigned enlisted personnel.
Old 10 April 2016, 16:13
Genetically Deplorable

Damn, never would have guessed that. Had no clue the AF had 1st shirts. Thanks Johca!
Old 10 April 2016, 16:14
Been There Done That

This has all the smell of a love triangle.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 10 April 2016, 16:21
Been There Done That

^No.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 10 April 2016, 16:30
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

If this were a shooting in an office at some location across corporate America, no one (here) would give a shit. But since it involves SOF, there is all of this clamoring to opine, LOL. Oooooohhhh -- "active shooter." I'm still waiting for someone to chime in with the "dem damned terrohrasts" angle, that or when will the purple heart be awarded.

Its workplace violence. Nothing more. It fucking happens.

In this case, the shot may or may not have been the intended tgt, or the sole tgt. He may or may not have had the opportunity to engage his attacker.

A dickhead couldn't deal with his issues, so he decided to kill someone instead of just doing himself. He's a cunt. That's about the extent of it.

RIP to the Commander, condolences to his family and friends....
Old 10 April 2016, 17:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
If this were a shooting in an office at some location across corporate America, no one (here) would give a shit. But since it involves SOF, there is all of this clamoring to opine, LOL. Oooooohhhh -- "active shooter." I'm still waiting for someone to chime in with the "dem damned terrohrasts" angle, that or when will the purple heart be awarded.

Its workplace violence. Nothing more. It fucking happens.

In this case, the shot may or may not have been the intended tgt, or the sole tgt. He may or may not have had the opportunity to engage his attacker.

A dickhead couldn't deal with his issues, so he decided to kill someone instead of just doing himself. He's a cunt. That's about the extent of it.

RIP to the Commander, condolences to his family and friends....
It was determined an "Active Shooter", but the fact that a SOF student was involved had nothing to do with it being labeled as such. I don't agree with it, especially after looking at the details of the shooting.
Old 10 April 2016, 17:42
Confirmed User

Apparently Bellino went AWOL after failing a water endurance test and was facing disciplinary action the morning of the shooting. Some details still sketchy though. Found a little more info on This Ain't Hell... He definitely targeted the LtC and probably the First Shirt. Couldn't take his "licks" like a man. LtC Schroeder was a Combat Weatherman.

RIP Lt. Col. Schroeder

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 10 April 2016, 17:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P304X4 View Post
Apparently Bellino went AWOL after failing a water endurance test and was facing disciplinary action the morning of the shooting. Some details still sketchy though. Found a little more info on This Ain't Hell... He definitely targeted the LtC and probably the First Shirt. Couldn't take his "licks" like a man. LtC Schroeder was a Combat Weatherman.

RIP Lt. Col. Schroeder
First Shirt wasn't his intended target, and the Commander didn't go down without a fight.
Old 10 April 2016, 21:56
Did...did I do that?

Kind of surprised he was taken into custody in Ohio. Last I heard (25+ years ago), they weren't super aggressive over pursuing AWOLs. Other MPs I worked with said DOD basically put the want/warrant in NCIC and waited for someone to find you for them.

Realistically, he was facing...what? Washing out of the program, and maybe a stripe?
Old 10 April 2016, 22:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post

Realistically, he was facing...what? Washing out of the program, and maybe a stripe?
Washing out of the program as prior service results in an Honorabe administrative discharge. However, the going AWOL would result in a punitive discharge of some sort, most likely an other than honorable of some sort.
Old 10 April 2016, 22:29
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
First Shirt wasn't his intended target, and the Commander didn't go down without a fight.
Where did you find this out?

Our new posting rules