Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 12 April 2016, 23:46
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

bundeswehr feeding ISIS?

https://www.rt.com/news/339362-germa...s-isis-defect/

I'm not sure how seriously to take this article because it comes from RT News, which is the modern Russian propaganda arm analogous to the old Soviet Pravda, and the Russkies have been known to stir a pot or two for their own amusement. If it is remotely true, then it should be a cause of significant concern. It's one thing for wannabe terrorists to acquire weapons, but quite another for them to have extensive professional training in their use and marksmanship. Are Euro militaries that desperate for bodies that they don't bother to screen recruits except for those going into sensitive job fields? That sounds like the old days of the French Foreign Legion, except that France was bright enough to keep shady characters of unknown backgrounds well outside of France.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 April 2016, 23:51
Been There Done That

How many former Russian military folks have gone over to ISIS?
Old 13 April 2016, 00:36
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
https://www.rt.com/news/339362-germa...s-isis-defect/

I'm not sure how seriously to take this article because it comes from RT News, which is the modern Russian propaganda arm analogous to the old Soviet Pravda, and the Russkies have been known to stir a pot or two for their own amusement. If it is remotely true, then it should be a cause of significant concern. It's one thing for wannabe terrorists to acquire weapons, but quite another for them to have extensive professional training in their use and marksmanship. Are Euro militaries that desperate for bodies that they don't bother to screen recruits except for those going into sensitive job fields? That sounds like the old days of the French Foreign Legion, except that France was bright enough to keep shady characters of unknown backgrounds well outside of France.
About 100 ppl from the GE military? I'd file this under "meh".
Old 13 April 2016, 05:07
Make a desert and call it peace.

I'd be far more concerned about the financial and logistical infrastructure provided by the millions of durka-durkas in Germany, as well as the rest of Europe.

The training thing is a tiny influence. The key to military success on a large scale is always logistics and operational planning. Something the Arabs and other 3rd worlders always make a hash of because they're low trust, and thus low organization, societies. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 13 April 2016, 07:04
Confirmed User

It's RT, Russian propaganda channel indeed, they did change this:

"At least 29 German soldiers have traveled to Syria or Iraq in recent years, an internal military report has found, with some believed to have joined terror group Isis."

into:

"German counter-intelligence believes that at least 29 former soldiers from the country have left to join Islamic State in Syria and Iraq."

And they use the word infiltration while this is rejected by German officials. So they made the article a lot less nuanced. But yeah radicalization can happen among military personnel as well. Not only in Europe. The Fort Hood-shooter was a radicalized American soldier, remember. And Russians too, like Gavin said.

It is troubling. Though these numbers are not alarming, I agree with Hot Mess on that, but the fact that it happens needs attention.

There's no "infiltration" like RT is writing.

It is not the main problem in the Bundeswehr, says the MP responsible for oversight, but they take the risk seriously.

The German defence ministry wants to have the military counter-intelligence service investigate every prospective soldier for links to anti-Constitutional movements. This will require a change in the law.

So I reckon this report was leaked to gain support for the law-change. That RT is twisting it into something different is typical of the Russian propaganda. They always want to frame western countries as weak and themselves as strong.

Until now German soldiers have only been checked before assignment to sensitive areas of the military, for example with access to secret files, but not for ordinary soldiers with access to battlefield weapons.

The Germans recognize the Bundeswehr can be attractive for Islamists who want to acquire weapons training but there is no sign of any systematic push by Islamist organizations to infiltrate the army.
Old 15 April 2016, 14:06
Been There Done That

I don't know numbers, but I've heard similar info from a separate source (this is the first I've seen this RT article). Thing is, it's not just the German army, it's apparently happening in several western European militaries. It's probably isolated to smaller units (and fairly small numbers) but the training effect has apparently been influential in several engagements.
Old 16 April 2016, 11:16
Confirmed User

Let's not forget among those numbers are also former military (and even members of biker gangs and such) who go there on their own initiative to fight on the side of the Kurds, against ISIS. That's also illegal.

And there are other groups that also fight against ISIS and the Assad-regime. It's a big mess. Anyone who goes there on own initiative to kill people is considered acting illegally.
Old 16 April 2016, 17:02
Been There Done That

Nothing new. If someone feels the 'call', they go the Levant or Libya. Foreign fighters are a little harder to kill, but they die just as fast. Big Boy Rules.

Our new posting rules