Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 27 June 2016, 11:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
A clearly articulated desired end state would have been a nice way to start.
Pffft. Endstates are for little people.

Outside of a few expeditionary 'wars' (Urgent Fury/OJC) and Desert Shield/Storm-- where the outcomes were largely predetermined and exercised the application of Billy Jack Tactics ("right foot-left cheek and not a damn thing you're gonna to do about it") we haven't bothered with operational end states for 60 years. Contiguous/linear operations are so much easier, don't you agree?

It's maddening to look back at the goat fuck orchestrated by Rumsfeld at the beginning of OEF and the continued lack of vision exercised by CENTCOM general officers by extension for the next 15 years. Just a bunch of palliative nurses keeping the brain dead patient barely alive on their shift.

I agree that a six month massive bombing campaign as suggested by B 2/75 beginning in OCT/NOV 2001 would have been a solid course of action. The next significant terrorist attack on a western target claimed by AQ following this campaign is answered by a low yield nuke. "What we've got here, is a failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach...which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it."
Old 27 June 2016, 16:27
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
We started to lose when we started setting up hescos
Best one line summary to date.
Old 27 June 2016, 17:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
I agree that a six month massive bombing campaign as suggested by B 2/75 beginning in OCT/NOV 2001 would have been a solid course of action. The next significant terrorist attack on a western target claimed by AQ following this campaign is answered by a low yield nuke. "What we've got here, is a failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach...which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it."
As I have said quite a few times the only thing radical Islam understands is complete unadulterated violence of action. Studying history that is why the Christians unleashed the Crusades and gave them back exactly what the Muslims dished out and it worked.

We need the "for every one of ours, we kill 100 of yours" plan. Then it exponentially increases with every Muslim attack. That is the only thing that will get their attention and get them to stop their psycho bull shit
Old 27 June 2016, 17:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
As I have said quite a few times the only thing radical Islam understands is complete unadulterated violence of action. Studying history that is why the Christians unleashed the Crusades and gave them back exactly what the Muslims dished out and it worked.

We need the "for every one of ours, we kill 100 of yours" plan. Then it exponentially increases with every Muslim attack. That is the only thing that will get their attention and get them to stop their psycho bull shit
The failure of the crusaders were leaving any muslim alive. Other than that, I agree with your post.
Old 27 June 2016, 18:01
Critical mass

Quote:

Yup... taking the thread full circle back to SB's point...Nukes. my add... lots of them. The final crusade.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 June 2016, 18:41
Un-confirmed User

Quote:

Wasn't it Sherman who said..."The crueler was is, the sooner it's over."
Old 27 June 2016, 18:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
A very large part of the American populace does not consider "Islam" to be our enemy. Many Americans believe we are only in conflict with a small group of radicals that shouldn't be defined by their religion, but by their poor treatment by Americans. This group believes that if we could only convince them that we are here to help them and that we love them very much, then the enemy would turn away from violence and embrace us as brothers and sisters.
Old 27 June 2016, 18:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
A very large part of the American populace does not consider "Islam" to be our enemy. Many Americans believe we are only in conflict with a small group of radicals that shouldn't be defined by their religion, but by their poor treatment by Americans. This group believes that if we could only convince them that we are here to help them and that we love them very much, then the enemy would turn away from violence and embrace us as brothers and sisters.
Are you sure it is a "large part" of the populace? I think we are being snowed by the media to think that. I talk with a lot of people in my line of work, all across the Country. The majority I've come across don't agree with you. I'm sure part of the rise of The Donald is due in part because of true Islamophobia.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 27 June 2016, 18:53
Critical mass

Or on a "more humane" approach supply weapons and ammo to whoever is losing in their own tribal factions and wait until one of the other sects start losing then supply them with weapons until mutual internal annihilation of the entire country... all with our courtesy air drops of flyers stating simply... "if you take this outside your own shithole... very bright lights and skin melting radioactive flux and heat incoming"

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by xenonburnout; 27 June 2016 at 19:00.
Old 27 June 2016, 19:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Are you sure it is a "large part" of the populace? I think we are being snowed by the media to think that. I talk with a lot of people in my line of work, all across the Country. The majority I've come across don't agree with you. I'm sure part of the rise of The Donald is due in part because of true Islamophobia.
That's why I made a very vague statement. I have not done any independent research, but I find that outside of the ex-military/retired cop community, a lot of the people I talk to believe that we can make them deradicalize by being nicer to them and more understanding. These are many of the same people that believe if we eliminate guns in the hands of civilians then we will be a more peaceful nation.
Old 1 July 2016, 11:00
Spice Weasel

Quote:
a lot of the people I talk to believe that we can make them deradicalize by being nicer to them and more understanding.
That's the educator's view. Which, unfortunately, is taught from kindergarten onward. It's the belief that they're savages because they don't know any better. That if we build a civilization for them and teach them a better way, they'll lift themselves out of savagery. There's some validity to that thought--look at the Huns or the Mongols or any other barbarian tribe. They were eventually absorbed/pacified by the civilizations they conquered and ceased to become conquerors.

The problem is, the barbarians were rationally driven--more land, more women, more wealth, more power. They accomplished their goals, and then petered out as a threat by enjoying the fruits of their success. Success to Islam, however, is an Islamic planet; by the sword if necessary.
Old 5 July 2016, 08:53
Confirmed User

^^^^ THIS!

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 5 July 2016, 09:01
Authorized Personnel

My Mother, who is a retired school teacher and quite liberal, believes this. She frequently tells me all the world's problems cannot be solved by violence. I love my Mother dearly, but it never fails to piss me off when somebody who has never been anywhere near the middle east or Afghanistan pontificates about what will work over there.
Old 5 July 2016, 17:15
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
That's why I made a very vague statement. I have not done any independent research, but I find that outside of the ex-military/retired cop community, a lot of the people I talk to believe that we can make them deradicalize by being nicer to them and more understanding. These are many of the same people that believe if we eliminate guns in the hands of civilians then we will be a more peaceful nation.
You are talking to the wrong people ... cut negativity out of your life

Seriously, I am back at Uni doing "Security, Terrorism and Counterterrorism" (yes that is how the Uni spells it) and by and large, your description is the attitude of the student body who all follow those paragon's of Life, The Universe and Everything, yes you guessed it, the Tutors and Professors.

I am all but tearing my hair out and have already been spoken to gently for using the word "idiots" in a discussion group. Apparently someone may have been hurt by my word/s.

Ohh I am also the only person I that has time in country, that includes the other ADF members in my class.

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 6 July 2016, 19:52
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
My Mother, who is a retired school teacher and quite liberal, believes this. She frequently tells me all the world's problems cannot be solved by violence. I love my Mother dearly, but it never fails to piss me off when somebody who has never been anywhere near the middle east or Afghanistan pontificates about what will work over there.
BINGO.
"You will rarely find a dedicated quail shot who is not a pretty nice guy. He has to be a nice guy, because he is performing for the benefit of his dogs, himself, and his companions, and all are expert in the detection of fraudulent behavior in the field."
Robert Ruark

Our new posting rules