Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 June 2016, 12:09
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
That's well written!
Thank you, sir!

About those place names, the most notable one I remember is Samarkand being originally a forcibly settled colony of people from Samaria.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 23 June 2016, 12:12
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
But now, it is good to have our observations scientifically validated so the next time someone tells me I'm a 'racist' for calling them fucking retards I can tell them to shut their pie hole - it is scientific fact - jack!
The author of the study mentioned in the article has no peer reviewed publications regarding his alleged findings, and has not cited a single published study to support his conclusion. And good luck finding the dataset from his own research. There are more credible sources for the information that aren't propagandists.
Old 23 June 2016, 12:17
Cry havoc

So muslim populations in the ME are inbreeding due to their jewish backgrounds.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 23 June 2016, 12:21
Assholier than thou

Quote:
Bottom line: Islam is not simply a benign and morally equivalent alternative to the Judeo-Christian tradition.
I don't remember anyone ever saying that. The Judeo-Christian tradition is built on instruments of moral absolutism, eg. the Ten Commandments. Islam is built on moral relativism.

"We were not sheep, for we knew the reality of violence; We were not wolves, for we respected humanity; We were not sheep dogs, for we “hunted” our adversaries. We were, in fact, lions; and in the land of the jackal… the lion fears no predator."
Old 23 June 2016, 12:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
So muslim populations in the ME are inbreeding due to their jewish backgrounds.
Who knew?
Old 23 June 2016, 12:24
**** Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
The author of the study mentioned in the article has no peer reviewed publications regarding his alleged findings, and has not cited a single published study to support his conclusion. And good luck finding the dataset from his own research. There are more credible sources for the information that aren't propagandists.
Here's a few:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal.../266440a0.html

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.V2wL9KJG5_Q

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC392897/

Studying IQ's is a sensitive subject as it is. Never mind getting into the weeds of trying to explain the regressive behaviors of one culture vs another. Because, you know, cultural relativism.
"Away with the whims of governmental administrators, their socialized projects, their centralization, their tariffs, their government schools, their state religions, their free credit, their bank monopolies, their regulations, their restrictions, their equalization by taxation, and their pious moralizations!"

~ Frédéric Bastiat
Old 23 June 2016, 12:56
Confirmed Abuser

I have trained 30+ Pak Mil Officers/Pilots over the years. I would say at least half of them stated they were married to their cousin!
Old 23 June 2016, 13:09
Darwin Award Presenter

Damnit, you bastards stole my West By God Virginia joke!!,
Old 23 June 2016, 13:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
It's a matter of degree. Muhammad didn't create the tradition of cousin marriage, he took a common practice in Arab culture and formalized it as morally superior. Cousin marriage was already a normal thing, just not a thing for everyone and certainly not mandatory, until Muhammad. It was several centuries before Islam reached central and southeastern Asia, which might not have had much experience with cousin marriage prior to that, and those cultures had more ingrained practices that Islam layered over instead of replacing. Cousin marriages in southern and southeastern Asia are a more hit or miss proposition as likely to be due to local factors as to anything Islamic. Hinduism has its own version of cousin or uncle marriage related to keeping the family within their jati (job field) within their larger varna (caste). When the Mughals imposed their flavor of Sharia in India for two centuries, the locals already had a stricter and far older set of marriage rules.

An exception is the Stans. Some of the northern 10 tribes of Israelites conquered by the Assyrian Empire eventually wound up being colonized on the northeastern frontier of one empire or another. A lot of place names in the Stans reflect that. Until forcibly converted to Islam at a much later date, they continued with Judaism to some extent and retained many of their cultural practices, including not voluntarily marrying outsiders. Afghanistan has always and forever been an unruly place 4 centuries behind the rest of the world and best avoided if possible, so even the Islamization of that place never completely removed some cultural elements that differentiate Afghans from other Muslims and are in many cases rooted in vestiges of Judaism. A fair chunk of the Afghans were therefore quite inbred well before they became Muslims, and reflect the same characteristics of chronic inbreeding found profusely in Arabs but less so in other Muslim ethnicities.
Good post, I learned a bit on this one.
Old 23 June 2016, 13:35
Authorized Personnel

I don't think this is a muslim issue... more cultural.

There were Arab Christians who were married to their cousins as well. Cultural and / or limited pool of mates due to keeping it within their religion.

I would guess (pure speculation) there there may also be tribal pressure to keep it in the family so to speak as well.
Old 23 June 2016, 13:55
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Who knew?
If it's Judaism that started inbreeding, why do the Jews contribute so much? Shouldn't they be as dumb as the Arabs in the ME?

Two eyes from the east.
Old 23 June 2016, 14:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
If it's Judaism that started inbreeding, why do the Jews contribute so much? Shouldn't they be as dumb as the Arabs in the ME?
They branched out to Europe, under force as I recall. Maybe that helped dilute things a bit.
Old 23 June 2016, 14:35
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
I don't think this is a muslim issue... more cultural.

There were Arab Christians who were married to their cousins as well. Cultural and / or limited pool of mates due to keeping it within their religion.

I would guess (pure speculation) there there may also be tribal pressure to keep it in the family so to speak as well.

Agree. There are a number of factors that contribute, of which religion is certainly one but not the only.
Religion does have a large influence, and thus would be significant in propagating or changing the trend. I don't hold any hope of a sort of Islamic Reformation or Enlightenment ...
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 23 June 2016, 14:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Well that sucks
Old 23 June 2016, 15:09
Violent Social Worker

I've met plenty of intelligent Iraqis and Jordanians.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 23 June 2016, 15:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I've met plenty of intelligent Iraqis and Jordanians.
Imagine how much smarter they would have been if their parents weren't cousins!!!

Only thing I know is you can't turn around in Hebron or Ramallah without running into someone with a serious birth defect. I was always unsure as to whether it was inbreeding, or inferior medical care, or both.
Old 23 June 2016, 16:06

I have been fortunate enough to work with some very good Afghanis as well as some of the Middle Eastern types. That being said, even some of the ones that seem to "get it" are still marrying their cousins. Very bizarre.
Old 23 June 2016, 18:38
Been There Done That

I wonder if this is one of the reasons Daesh recruits so heavily for foreign fighters; vice using local Arabs?

That, and their combat experience and fanaticism...
Old 23 June 2016, 18:53
Assholier than thou

The cousin marriage thing is cultural. It manifests in Muslims because they are the vast majority in the middle east. Simple math.

The cousin thing is about proximity as much as anything else. In the US, it was very common before highway systems were developed. Interestingly, in most eastern states cousin marriage was legal, but avunculate marriage was not. In the west, that was reversed.

"We were not sheep, for we knew the reality of violence; We were not wolves, for we respected humanity; We were not sheep dogs, for we “hunted” our adversaries. We were, in fact, lions; and in the land of the jackal… the lion fears no predator."
Old 23 June 2016, 19:08
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHANGELRANGER View Post
The cousin marriage thing is cultural. It manifests in Muslims because they are the vast majority in the middle east. Simple math.

The cousin thing is about proximity as much as anything else. In the US, it was very common before highway systems were developed. Interestingly, in most eastern states cousin marriage was legal, but avunculate marriage was not. In the west, that was reversed.
Had to look that one up.
I guess there's a word for everything ...
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt

Our new posting rules