Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 19 July 2016, 20:35
Anesthetized User

Improving Sprint Speed

Does anyone have any experience, guides, advice, websites WRT running sprints from a stop to 65 feet? The only thing I can think of is to just keep sprinting the 65' over and over.

I play softball, and I am a slow ass around the bases.

Thank you.

Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing?

Support SOCNET.
Old 19 July 2016, 20:44
Been There Done That

The late SOTB weighed in on this a few years ago. His advice:

Run Faster.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 19 July 2016, 21:56
RIP Cass and SOTB

Base running advice: maintain your stride as best as you can while touching the base. Stretching for the bag can take small time that could be the difference between out and safe.

Also try running 90 door sprints, and if possible, try to rig a tire to a harness an pull it while doing sprints.
Old 19 July 2016, 22:24
Administrator

Joe Defranco has a podcast that addresses this. Look up industrial strength show. Now sure which number the episode is. I agree with SOTB. Run faster, however, Joe speaks to a few techniques that may help.
Old 19 July 2016, 22:58
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Joe Defranco has a podcast that addresses this. Look up industrial strength show. Now sure which number the episode is. I agree with SOTB. Run faster, however, Joe speaks to a few techniques that may help.
For sure, this might be the most basic, but perhaps the most effective. So, with that, I think I will run sprints and push my self little harder, then harder with every session 2-3 times a week. Will also look for the podcast.

Wasn't SOTB's workout routine pretty heavy with just pushups and situps?

Thanks everyone.

UG11B, what are 90 door sprints?

Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing?

Support SOCNET.
Old 20 July 2016, 10:21
Confirmed User

This may not be the latest and greatest but I used some of these with good success while coaching lacrosse.

Hill repeats: One day a week find a steep hill and sprint up/walk down. At least 10 sprints.

Track intervals: work your way around the track alternately sprinting and walking. Focus on foot speed.

Sprinting uphill on a bike: find some hills and tear up them in a high gear over and over.

Stretching: Extra stretching for hip flexibility and stride
Old 20 July 2016, 10:49
Sub Rosa

Get yourself a ten year old who loves to run and is very good at it. Next set out a 2-3 mile route with light or telephone posts. Alternate sprinting and walking between the posts. Talk trash to the kid when you beat her.....LOL That's what I do, but of course she gives it right back when she beats me - rare but does happen. Great motivation
Old 20 July 2016, 13:29
RIP Cass and SOTB

Sorry, 90 feet, not 90 doors. Stupid phone posts.
Old 20 July 2016, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Does anyone have any experience, guides, advice, websites WRT running sprints from a stop to 65 feet? The only thing I can think of is to just keep sprinting the 65' over and over.

I play softball, and I am a slow ass around the bases.

Thank you.
I suggest doing practicing the shuttle run.. The one DoS uses for WPS etc.

Running bases is not the same as a straight sprint.. Yes, sprints can make your legs more powerful etc..

However, only possible straight sprint is if you are trying to beat out a ground ball to 1b and you are not making a turn.

Apart from that, you will be leaning into your left side and trying to make a turn.. Your turns, or correct line on the bases is where you can cut your time a lot.

If you are on 1b, and there is a ball hit in the gap etc.. You need to have your eyes on the ball and the closest fielder until just before 2b.. Then you need to set your angle (line) to lean in and make your turn as sharp as possible while touching 2b, if you are going to third, or slide or stand-up at 2b, depending on the situation.

If you are going 1st to 3rd, about half way before 2b you need to pick up the 3rd base coach and watch him. Same thing with 1b to home.

My point being your eyes/head are looking opposite where your body is going, you are pushing off with your right foot rounding bases and need to come to quick stops, or decelerate quickly.

Hence the shuttle runs.. They make you have to look at the cones, stop and start quick and turn sharply.

I used to be pretty damned fast, once I got going and on a straight sprint. Beat a lot of guy who challenged me to races..

On the base paths... I had a lot of problem controlling my momentum.. I would go way to wide of the bases if I was going 1b-to Home or trying to get a HR that did not clear the fence etc. Going way wide cuts down your time.

Running the bases is sometimes like shooting, where smooth is fast.

Guys might be really "fast' but the their speed plus momentum takes them on bad lines and they run more distance then a guy going a little slower with a better route or who can cut the bases more effective.

Good luck.. I miss playing baseball and softball leagues.. I wish I could play in one also.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 20 July 2016, 16:52
0311/8651

Take running from your local club- pick out the best looking instr. for personal help.im getting to the age I will need a personal nurse��
Old 20 July 2016, 19:32
Confirmed User

Try reading the forums at charliefrancis.com. Yes, I know he was vilified for the Ben Johnson scandal, but imho Francis is one of the great sprint coaches of all time.

He covers starts, acceleration, top spee, training guidelinesand everything else associated with speed. Just by working on some simple Francis related training ideas, my second son (6'6", 265lb) shaved 4/10 of a second off his 40 time. Which he definitely needed to do this summer.
Old 20 July 2016, 21:58
Been There Done That

Or, you could hop into the lion exhibit at the local zoo...

I kid. Don't do that. Seriously.
Old 26 July 2016, 11:46
Confirmed User

This is kind of surprising but it does make sense that quarter squats would be better than full squats for sprinting and jumping.

https://www.strengthandconditioningr...fer-sprinting/

Winston Churchill
Old 27 July 2016, 15:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've seen vids and pictures from a couple of speed camps that football players and other athletes go to to increase their speed, among other things.

One of the things I've seen them use is what is called a running parachute, I imagine they can be purchased online somewhere.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...parachutes.htm
Old 27 July 2016, 15:51
RIP Cass and SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I've seen vids and pictures from a couple of speed camps that football players and other athletes go to to increase their speed, among other things.

One of the things I've seen them use is what is called a running parachute, I imagine they can be purchased online somewhere.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...parachutes.htm
Any type of weighted resistance used for running or even improving bat speed can easily be negated by not using the exact same stride that you normally do, or use the same swing.

Make sure if you take that route to use your normal/natural running stride and technique. It can pay off big time if so, if not your going to be a tired puppy brother!

Keep grinding, you got this.
Old 14 September 2016, 01:28
Confirmed User

Take this for what you'd like:

I like to treat the improvement of sprint as a two (or three depending on distance) pronged approach.

Power - Technique - Conditioning(depends on distance)

The fastest way to improve sprinting is by tightening up your technique. Arm swing, hands, torso position & movement, gait, etc. To really really get those in line, a sprint coach is useful (or some YouTube videos if you're a visual and quick learner).

Hang Power Cleans are a great exercise to use (note there are videos of Bolt doing HPC on the internet somewhere)

Lot's of jump training, plyo, depth jumps and/or the like (some good benefits here, fiber conversion, CNS training etc)

Full Depth Squats are necessary IMO, I know someone posted an article about partials maybe being more beneficial...and they may very well be, I haven't actually read the studies and made my own conclusion. I'm going to avoid going into a biomechanical review of the movements I'm just going to say I think Full Depth squats are necessary.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Our new posting rules