Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 29 September 2016, 12:38
Anesthetized User

Rotator Cuff Issues?

Toying with the idea of seeing my doc, but most likely will not waste his time.

S/S: Intermittent clicking in the right shoulder that I can feel/hear. Sharp pain upon movement in normal fashion, reaching for something about a foot away. Right now I am just seeing if it will heal with time. And I am chalking it up to overuse from softball.

Thoughts?

Support SOCNET.
Old 29 September 2016, 13:45
Confirmed User

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=125509
Here's a thread I started on this a while back.

For me it was small tears in infra- and supraspinatus and "the most angry biceps tendon I have ever seen" (quote from MRI doc). I did not go with surgery. I am doing well now, but pullups are still challenging for me. Presses are about 90% of before injury. Mobility is actually increased due to the exercises my docs and coaches have given me.

Hope this helps.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:02
Administrator

I am recovering from "Frozen Shoulder" myself. No surgery, but 4 weeks of fairly painful physical therapy gave me back about 70% ROM. So, I went to see the accupuncture Doc and an hour later I had full range of motion back. I should have went to see him first.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 29 September 2016, 14:21
Confirmed User

^^^
One of my docs is also a traditional Chinese doctor, and has done acupuncture for me as well. If you find a good one - they are awesome.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:30
Confirmed User

Last week I woke up after a night of bowling with pretty bad pain in the front of the shoulder, limited range of motion, popping and clicking. This went on for a day or so until I started to massage the shoulder and then felt a knot in the upper back. Tennis ball, golf ball and an hour later the pain was greatly diminished and range of motion was back. Almost have the knot fully worked out. Check right below your trap and see if you have a knot, it wasn't painful back there so I didn't notice it initially.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:52
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I am recovering from "Frozen Shoulder" myself. No surgery, but 4 weeks of fairly painful physical therapy gave me back about 70% ROM. So, I went to see the accupuncture Doc and an hour later I had full range of motion back. I should have went to see him first.
Accupuncture: I believe. Had it done once for back pain, and I left the office feeling like I had just had a handful of Endocet. That feeling lasted for 3 days.

Support SOCNET.
Old 29 September 2016, 17:51
The atomic zit

Me, my shoulder clicks and pops; like most of the rest of me. No pain accept the the usual... :D

My dad had his done when it got so bad he couldn't flycast, he is protective of his retired avocation of choice.

My client had his done when it got so bad he couldn't golf, and was protective of his retired avocation of choice, as well.

I do not know how bad the pain was, but both were sleeping in a barcalounger for about 6wks and a sling after that. And now, both are recovered enough to do what they like.

mi dos pesos...

Good Luck,

S
Old 29 September 2016, 18:50
Scoundrel

Had my torn rotator cuff repaired in June. Original injury was in 1993. Put off the surgery as long as you can, and then try to get it in the winter. Make sure you have a recliner to sleep in for the first 4-8 weeks afterward. Full recovery takes approximately a year, but decent mobility minus strength within about 3 months.

Straight up: it sucks, but depending on how much more mileage you expect to get it is worth considering.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 29 September 2016, 18:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Had my torn rotator cuff repaired in June. Original injury was in 1993. Put off the surgery as long as you can, and then try to get it in the winter. Make sure you have a recliner to sleep in for the first 4-8 weeks afterward. Full recovery takes approximately a year, but decent mobility minus strength within about 3 months.

Straight up: it sucks, but depending on how much more mileage you expect to get it is worth considering.

How long before you were able to shoot a pistol, rifle or shotgun after the surgery? Or, probably a better question is are you limited in what you can shoot post surgery?
Old 29 September 2016, 19:04
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman2 View Post
How long before you were able to shoot a pistol, rifle or shotgun after the surgery? Or, probably a better question is are you limited in what you can shoot post surgery?
It will be until December before I can do any of that, but should have 100% ROM and strength soon after that.

It sucks and requires more planning than you anticipate. For example, you are not supposed to drive for at least 4 weeks after the surgery. Note use of 'supposed'. It can be done, but should be avoided if possible.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

Old 30 September 2016, 03:04
Confirmed User

I recommend visiting a PT that is certified in dry needling. Once they conduct a screening on your shoulder girdle they'll be able to pin point any damage or trigger points and if needed they can hit it with dry needling.

I've used dry needling for everything from SI joint strains to elbow problems, never in the shoulder but I am adamant about preventative exercises for my shoulders (since they're such tough injuries to come back from).
Old 30 September 2016, 09:20
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Toying with the idea of seeing my doc, but most likely will not waste his time.

S/S: Intermittent clicking in the right shoulder that I can feel/hear. Sharp pain upon movement in normal fashion, reaching for something about a foot away. Right now I am just seeing if it will heal with time. And I am chalking it up to overuse from softball.

Thoughts?
Go see your doc.
Old 30 September 2016, 10:53
Confirmed User

Similar to my symptoms.....tear in the labrum, torn biceps tendon and fraying in the rotator cuff. The kicker....arthritis.

Had surgery in Feb. Cut and re-attached the biceps tendon and cleaned out the joint. Doc said had I been 10 years older he would have just did a joint replacement, will most likely need down the road anyway.

Surgery wasn't as bad as I thought. Sleep is a challenge for a while.
Old 30 September 2016, 11:58

I had surgery a year ago on my left shoulder. My labrum was torn all the way around and need 8 anchors, and my bicep had to be cut and reattached also.

Sleeping for the first 3 weeks is uncomfortable. I did physical therapy 3x a week for almost 3 months. Had pretty much full ROM by the time physical therapy was over. At 6 months it felt
good.

A week or so after surgery on my left shoulder and the feeling of a tight socket again made me realize how loose my right shoulder was. A few dislocations later and now I have surgery scheduled for my right shoulder next month for the same injury.

At least it's the non-dominate arm this time.
Old 1 October 2016, 05:40
Confirmed User

My first guess would be a labral tear ("SLAP lesion"). See an ortho doc that specializes in shoulders. MRI may be in order. If it's small, or if it's a small (< 1cm) rotator cuff tear, physical therapy may resolve the issue.
Old 4 October 2016, 16:49
Anesthetized User

Ok, so all pain is intermittent. ROM is good with some pain, sharp in nature with the clunk that comes and goes. Discomfort into the lateral Deltoid. Got some film shot, shows a bone spur. Not sure where. Referred to Ortho. How do you get rid of a bone spur, is it a surgery only thing? I would like to keep playing ball and SCUBA diving.

Support SOCNET.
Old 4 October 2016, 20:52
Confirmed User

If the bone spur is the source of the problem, then yes, surgically removed, often accompanied by what's called subacromial decompression (basically shaving a bit off the little shelf formed by the scapula). If that's all that's done, typically a pretty straight forward procedure with good recovery/good outcome
Old 4 October 2016, 21:27
Scoundrel

Given the above post, I will add a cautionary note about 'straightforward procedure with good recovery' line.

After 2 MRIs, my surgeon said 'You have a tear, but we are not sure how much. We can go in and maybe we just have to clean up the spur and clean out the arthritis. Easy recovery. If we get in there and the tear is worse than we have seen on the MRI, you are in for a long recovery.'

And we know how the rest of the story goes.

I'm glad I did it, though, because I could not lift my arm above my head unassisted.

Old 5 October 2016, 05:55
Confirmed User

Good point and very true. That's why I put "if" and "typically". MRI's are a good tool, but frequently do not give a full picture. Of my 3 knee surgeries, none of the MRI's matched what the doc found when he got in there. Hopefully, Expat will fall into the straightforward category.
Old 5 October 2016, 08:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPT View Post
Good point and very true. That's why I put "if" and "typically". MRI's are a good tool, but frequently do not give a full picture. Of my 3 knee surgeries, none of the MRI's matched what the doc found when he got in there. Hopefully, Expat will fall into the straightforward category.
Had shoulder surgery three years ago. My surgeon told me afterward it was much worse than what the MRI showed.

Our new posting rules