Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 November 2016, 06:40
Been There Done That

Icon5 Supplements/Vitamins?

So what supplements or vitamins are you taking? How are they working out for you?

Based on the Tumeric thread, have been taking turmeric now. Will see how that works. Also take a coconut oil tablet once a day and a multi-vitamin once a day.

Been reading about the positive effects of Berberine, Quercetin, and Gynostemma. Anyone use any of these three?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23 November 2016, 08:02
Authorized Personnel

Centrum Silver and a baby aspirin.
Old 23 November 2016, 12:55
Confirmed User

I am still looking for a good daily vitamin but in the mean time I eat lots of butternut squash, drink two or three glasses of cranberry juice and I have been trying a supplement drink I bought at Krogers Super Hydration Body Armor drink. It has 10% coconut water, along with all the major vitamins especially the B complex which I don't feel I get enough of.

I am trying to bring my blood pressure down a few points naturally. My last DOD physical was two weeks ago and the doctor said it was fine but for me personally I want it to go down few points. With that in mind, I have been adding honey,cinnamon and tomatoes to my food.
Old 23 November 2016, 13:00
Administrator

Omega 3- specifically DHA.
Old 23 November 2016, 13:01
Confirmed User

I've been a rep on a large fitness forum for a supplement company for years now. I've had a say in formulating a few products.

There are a very few things that are worth taking, studied and proven to 'work':

-PERFORMANCE

creatine
beta alanine
citrulline
betaine
phosphatidic acid
rhodiola rosea

-NUTRITION/HEALTH

protein powders (whey, casein, pea, soy, etc)
fish oil
green tea/egcg
curcumin
rhodiola

There are other things, but that's the short list. You don't NEED any supplement. Many of the biggest, strongest guys don't take a damn thing; people who obsess over supplements generally aren't those guys. A good diet and lifting plan > all else.

That being said, nothing wrong with using a few good supplements for performance, it can speed progress, and I sincerely think every man should take high dose fish oil (2gr epa/dha per day), green tea/egcg, and curcumin for overall health and longevity. The three of them are insanely good for overall health, and counter the effects of aging, most forms of cancer and lots of other diseases, cardiovascular health, brain health, joint health, etc. They're relatively cheap, and highly effective.

Fish oil can have heavy metal contamination (from the fish themselves), so buy one that's 3rd party certified). If you're on blood thinners, use caution, because it thins the blood as well.

Curcumin isn't well absorbed, so take at minimum the C3 version with bioperine (and again, use caution if you're on meds, since bioperine increases absorption of many meds), or better yet Theracumin or Longvida. I get the C3 for free, so that's what I take. Dose depends on type, but in general more is better than less, it just gets expensive. I would take a few grams a day of the C3 if I could afford it. It should be taken with food, fats, and/or dairy is good.

Green tea. This stuff is cheap, and the shit. Really high doses of EGCG aren't great, but take at least 600mg EGCG per dose for optimal effectiveness. It's good to take with a meal, but NOT with milk, as milk prptein bind to it and render it fairly useless (adding milk to tea, brit style? nope nope).
Old 23 November 2016, 13:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
I am still looking for a good daily vitamin but in the mean time I eat lots of butternut squash, drink two or three glasses of cranberry juice and I have been trying a supplement drink I bought at Krogers Super Hydration Body Armor drink. It has 10% coconut water, along with all the major vitamins especially the B complex which I don't feel I get enough of.

I am trying to bring my blood pressure down a few points naturally. My last DOD physical was two weeks ago and the doctor said it was fine but for me personally I want it to go down few points. With that in mind, I have been adding honey,cinnamon and tomatoes to my food.

Multivitamins are kind of a mixed bag. Most use really shitty forms of vitamins and minerals, and combine thing that actually counter each other. I'm a big fan of these two, which separate vitamins and minerals, and use pretty much the correct forms across the board:

https://millenniumsport.net/products/foundation-stack/

No, that is NOT the company I rep for, but that is the multi I use. I use only the MVP, and only a half dose daily, because I eat well anyway. It's just insurance, to fill in gaps. I use my companies ZMK-type product. MST5150 should give a discount there on that site. Their Cordygen stuff is awesome for endurance. I really, really love it.

Anyway, add fish oil (2gr epa/dha) and egcg to yoyur daily regimen, and I'm sure you'll see the improvement you're looking for. Now brand EGCG is good and cheap, 2 caps a day will do it.
Old 8 February 2017, 21:25
Moving Target

I just recently started taking Gundry's Vital Reds. I got a two month supply for about 100 bucks. They are suppose to be very good for energy and also joint pain as well as very good for the heart. I mainly got into it for the energy which seems to be my biggest issue now. I havent had a Heniken in 41 days and no snuff in over two weeks so Im serious about getting my health back. I will be 52 in a few weeks so I need to lose the gut will Im still able to. I also have some "Patriot Power Greens" but I havent tried them yet since I have the Gundry's Vital Reds. I take GNC vitamins and Fish Oil and 5000 IU's of D3 everyday also. Ill let you know how they work next month, Right now I weigh in at 270 but that will be changing rapidly now that Im not drinking beer anymore.
Old 8 February 2017, 22:07
Been There Done That

My VA doc told me to take a Centrum over 50 male vitamin. They really increase my appetite.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 February 2017, 22:16
Confirmed User

Tumeric w/ Bioprine.
Milk Thistle
Melatonin
Multi-Vitamin & Mineral
Vascepa https://www.vascepa.com/learn-about.html
Old 9 February 2017, 12:34
Moving Target

He is a link to a long video about all the benefits of " MD Gundry Vital Reds"
http://energyatanyage.com/170104.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I just recently started taking Gundry's Vital Reds. I got a two month supply for about 100 bucks. They are suppose to be very good for energy and also joint pain as well as very good for the heart. I mainly got into it for the energy which seems to be my biggest issue now. I havent had a Heniken in 41 days and no snuff in over two weeks so Im serious about getting my health back. I will be 52 in a few weeks so I need to lose the gut will Im still able to. I also have some "Patriot Power Greens" but I havent tried them yet since I have the Gundry's Vital Reds. I take GNC vitamins and Fish Oil and 5000 IU's of D3 everyday also. Ill let you know how they work next month, Right now I weigh in at 270 but that will be changing rapidly now that Im not drinking beer anymore.
Old 28 February 2017, 23:30
Moving Target

Quote:
well I have been on the Vital Reds long enough now to tell that they are helping me have much more energy. I have had Chronic Fatique since being exposed to chemical weapons and DU Alpha particals in desert storm so having more energy is big with me. I think I am getting my moneys worth on the Gundry's MD Vital Reds. Try it for yourself.
Old 1 March 2017, 08:18
Another pool cleaner

I just get more sex. Seems to work.
Old 1 March 2017, 08:43
Orbi tertio spumae

My latest supplement fad is actually just a health-food and intermittent fasting thing rather than pill-popping. Been following Dr Eric Berg on youtube for a couple of weeks and adjusting diet according to what all my numerous maladies allegedly need. Need iodine? Chuck kelp on your salad. Etc. I've done most of what he preaches piecemeal over the years with good results until my resolve caves in but now I'm attempting the whole tootie simultaneously. No synthetic vitimins.

Last edited by Soutpiel; 1 March 2017 at 08:53.
Old 1 March 2017, 13:15
0311/8651

Gummie Bears
Body Armor drink-grape
BAI coconut water- really tasty after a workout
Old 1 March 2017, 18:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
He is a link to a long video about all the benefits of " MD Gundry Vital Reds"
http://energyatanyage.com/170104.php
How is this working out? The video you posted looks like a snake oil advertisement.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 1 March 2017, 21:47
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
How is this working out? The video you posted looks like a snake oil advertisement.
It is working well,I have much more energy now.
Old 1 March 2017, 21:52
Confirmed User

I actually use this greens product:

https://millenniumsport.net/products...g-gluten-free/

It's nasty as fuck, but typically I get really sick every other year with bronchitis, or worse. This stuff has immune boosting mushrooms in it, which is specifically why I use it, plus the large dose of greens.
Old 1 March 2017, 22:10
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
immune boosting mushrooms in it.
So you're saying magic mushrooms?
Old 1 March 2017, 22:11
FIDO

Multivitamin and DHEA
Old 3 March 2017, 16:09
Confirmed User

Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate. Every single day. Shit's a miracle for hard use aches and pains in the joints. www.GreatLakesGelatin.com
Some people find it a gout trigger though and I've found that a spoonful in my daily coffees (2-3) is plenty. Never mind that 4 Tbsp/day stuff.

Creatine and beta alinine for strength/stamina

Our new posting rules