Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 2 December 2016, 16:27
Been There Done That

Crash weight GAIN program for teen boy

My son is now a senior in HS, has an 80 on his AFQT, and is eager to enlist Air Force for the new enlisted drone pilot program.

Problem is that he's underweight; at 5' 11" he needs to be 136 pounds minimum, and he's hovering around 122.

He simply won't work out enough to gain any muscle mass, a $100 bag of protein supplement goes mostly untouched, and his father is looking at the calendar thinking that he'll wind up still in the house a year from now.

If he won't / can't gain muscle weight, then I propose that he gain some fat weight by stuffing him with sausages, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 2 December 2016, 16:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
My son is now a senior in HS, has an 80 on his AFQT, and is eager to enlist Air Force for the new enlisted drone pilot program.

Problem is that he's underweight; at 5' 11" he needs to be 136 pounds minimum, and he's hovering around 122.

He simply won't work out enough to gain any muscle mass, a $100 bag of protein supplement goes mostly untouched, and his father is looking at the calendar thinking that he'll wind up still in the house a year from now.

If he won't / can't gain muscle weight, then I propose that he gain some fat weight by stuffing him with sausages, etc.

Any thoughts?
Many years ago I helped a friends son get in the military who was also under weight, I would take him down to the local Malt shop an get him a couple of Banana Milk shakes twice a day for a week. Some times a different flavor Milk shake.

After the first week I would have to drag him down there. He stuck with it an three weeks later he passed the weight requirement. BY 1/2 pound.
Old 2 December 2016, 16:53
In Vino Veritas

Eat... he won't be hungry at first but eventually his stomach will expand and he'll be able to eat more. Or I could give him the 20lbs I found, gladly.

Or put a chain around his neck like Barney had to do in he Andy Griffith Show
Old 2 December 2016, 17:39
Authorized Personnel

Option #1: Send him to live with my son. He can drag him to the gym.
Old 2 December 2016, 17:42
Authorized Personnel

Option #2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ae78c2a13a25218a307fbf45c1e39955.jpg (37.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 2 December 2016, 18:19
Another pool cleaner

Medical marijuana?

Seriously, have him eat light snacks often: carbs, proteins, etc.

Another way is to go with him on meals, eat together and go to the gym and lift. If he won't do it, you'll have to do it with him.
Old 2 December 2016, 18:29
Confirmed User

It would be far healthier for him to just slouch when he gets measured. Although it is difficult to make yourself taller, dropping two inches in height is a snap.

With his height and weight, his metabolism is just too fast to gain that kind of weight in fat, unless you used drugs like Lyrica or Zoloft. I do not, however, recommend giving him meds to gain fat.

He could gain 15lbs in 6 months in muscle weight, no problem, with an appropriate strength-training program, combined with a high-protein, brown starch carb, veggie and fruit diet. If he really wants this, he will go to the gym. With the numbers you quote, he has very little muscle mass for his skeleton, and any type of effort at strength training will immediately show up on the scale.

The temptation to take anabolic steroids or growth hormone may cross his mind, but doing so before his growth plates close is not recommended and will lead to skeletal problems down the road.

If you want some specific advice for clean muscle building, feel free to PM me. I am a SME for nutrition and metabolism, both on the .civ and .gov side.

Regards,
Danny
Old 2 December 2016, 18:50
The atomic zit

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I'd start with him keeping a food diary. This will be an attention to detail opportunity.

At his age I was 6'3" and 160#, thus my handle.

On the other hand if he wants it, they should be prepared to eat rocks, no boulders, to make him meet weight.

Last comment, who wants this you or him?
Old 2 December 2016, 19:54

eat, lift, sleep get him taking that protein on a schedule
Old 2 December 2016, 20:02

Also doing a weekly meal prep where you cook the weeks meals on one day can make it easy as all meals are cooked and planed out. I was 6ft in high school and left weighing 220 but still could feel intimidated in the gym, some ting to think about.
Old 2 December 2016, 22:07
Un-confirmed User

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Eat nothing but white food...potatoes, rice, white bread, etc. I gained 30lbs over the summer between my sophomore & junior year in HS for football.

That diet came from my uncle who played for Hank Stram and the Chiefs. It works.
Old 2 December 2016, 22:20
Been There Done That

I'm the one who insists that he join the service, any service. His choice is the AF. He does want it, as he realizes that he's just got on other viable options out there, short of a sting in uniform.

Yes, he's skinny as a rail, but I think I actually had him beat... I was 6' 2" and 125 pounds at MEPS in '77. Doc sent me to the hotel for the night, told me to eat a massive pizza the night before and to drink all I could hold. Before going to bed, I was to put a towel over the toilet, and come to his office before peeing. The next morning he pointed to the water fountain, had me down a quart and a half, then up on the scale... 129 pounds, I was in the Army. Then I got to go to the bathroom.

I'm thinking that between starches and fats, he'll make it, but it might be a bit of a repeat of what I had to do, too.
Old 2 December 2016, 22:21
All Labs Matter

Not the silver bullet, but a little thought that might help...

Does he like malts? Most people (kids) do and getting some malted milk powder to mix with a high calorie protein drink and whole milk for smoothie (a little easier to get down than "shakes"). Vanilla is a great choice because anything can be added each day for variety (peanut butter, berries, chocolate syrup, etc.). A nutribullet or similar very easily makes really quick work of this...and the easier it is, the more likely he will do it every day. Great breakfast, especially if he does not each much early.
Old 2 December 2016, 22:40
Administrator

Quote:
I was 6' 2" and 125 pounds at MEPS in '77.
Wow.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 2 December 2016, 22:48
Confirmed User

If he likes chocolate milk, have him drink a ton of it a day. Ice cream and pizza too. He's not gonna get fat, and likely it's the only way he will move the scale at all. If you can just get him doing a few daily push-ups and such he will gain even faster. I gained 35 pounds in basic at Benning alone, and that was with no weights obviously. I'm sure he will be the same.
Old 2 December 2016, 22:55
The atomic zit

B 2/75,

Last I read, you were a gentleman farmer west of me.

Put that boy of yours to work, make him hungry. Teach him physical hard work yesterday!

I think we have the same genes. Who knows...

Best of luck,

S
Old 2 December 2016, 23:35
Authorized Personnel

Eating fatty foods can't really be the answer.

Seems he is missing the right motivation.

Old 3 December 2016, 14:37
Genetically Deplorable

B 2/75,

For a small period of time I was the one doing the old pinch tests for my unit before it transitioned to the local command for the tape test. Part of my follow-up was to assist the troop get on the right path for weight control. It was 95% overweight and 5% underweight. The typical process for underweight troops was an additional ration at the DFAC (if they were a DFAC troop) but also mandatory non-aerobic workouts at the gym. Another medic in the unit was responsible for coordinating the gym process and we found that the additional rations and a good regimen of weight lifting was the best way to put on pounds. The fat guys would get the additional aerobics to lose weight.

No stats were maintained that I am aware of, but I can say with 100% certainty that the skinny guys gained valuable muscle density every time. I also noticed those troops had less overall visits to the clinic.

Good luck to Junior, and good on ya for pushing him in that direction. But c'mon - Air Force?
Old 9 December 2016, 14:02
Confirmed User

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Given what seems to be a lack of motivation on his part, I'm not sure if this will help. But,...

I've yet to see any young man do the Starting Strength program (including GOMAD or GOCMAD) that didn't put on fairly serious pounds. 3 additional thoughts. If you can get him to do it for awhile, he may find motivation in new found strength and size. I'd think about bumping the sets/reps from 5x5 to 3-5x8-10 to make it more about hypertrophy than strength. Finally, it's not at all healthy but malts, hamburger helper, Mexican buffets, etc. are great weight gainers. Basically, find the most calorie dense foods he likes and will happily eat and provide a bunch of it. Sometimes a dirty bulk is the best option if time or motivation are issues.
Old 9 December 2016, 14:07
Authorized Personnel

People are often times shocked by stories of how people were often turned down at MEPS due to applicants being "under weight." I made the minimum weight for my height by three pounds due to my recruiter telling my to consume copious amounts of peanut butter and bananas.

One thing for sure...I was so plugged that everything that entered my pie whole remained there unless burned up by my metabolism. It accomplished the mission.

From that moment on, while on recruiters assistance, my go-to weight gain program was peanut butter and bananas.

Our new posting rules